Has anyone else considered

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
I somewhat agree. It’s not that they don’t value it (and that’s not what you’re alluding to either) but, if we take a look in history, PCs defenses have started in the secondary, to LB, to DL.

Obviously DBs and DL work hand in hand. More pressure up front = less time to throw. But it can also be that the better coverage there is = more time the QB has to hold onto the ball.

I know…mind blowing. Obviously you guys know this. But, if you consider the recent fails at our attempts of beefing up the DL via the draft….I wonder just how much that influences PC and JS’ decision process.

After McDowell, I’d be hesitant as heck to take Carter. Not saying he won’t be a stud. But, I’d think twice for sure….
Yes. Kind of my point exactly. Maybe they get guys that are "good" or "good enough" for the line and they go all out on DBs and then LBs?

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
I expect Dremont Jones to be used very similarly to how they used Bennett. In other words, DE for running downs or DT for passing downs, but not necessarily every time that the situation occurs. Enough to become unpredictable.

Carter would be at DT every down. I believe his highest ceiling would be the equivalent of Grady Jarrett of the Falcons. If he reaches that level of play he would be well worth the #5 overall pick. You get a Jarrett level player on a rookie deal and you are well on your way to contender status. Add that to Nwosu, Bush, Wagner, and Jones playing to expectations and that front seven isn't really "years away" anymore. Depending on how quickly they mesh, they could easily be envisioned as an immediate force.

What this team really, really needs is a Chris Carson clone to help keep the defense off of the field as well as open up the deep ball via play action due to a well respected ground game. The further away from the goal line, the more you use K9. The closer to the goal line, the more you use the new bruiser RB. Hence, if K9 busts loose on your side of the 50-yard line he is trucking down the field for big chunks or taking it the distance. A single twenty-yard K9 run changes field position and consistently winning the field position battle will strategically put Seattle's splendid kicking game into play. Otherwise, once past midfield, you are methodically moving the chains with the bruiser RB. This is where Seattle's vaunted "three tight end" set comes into play. They really need that second back. More than just about anything after DT is addressed.
Agreed. If they can get a quality 2nd RB this team can hang with anyone.
As long as the defense improves which I'm confident it will. I had a thought about last year's team and what if the defense was ranked anywhere around average ( 15th ? 16th? ) .