Has anyone else considered

morgulon1

Reaction score
That the Seahawks might not put as much importance on DT as many on
.net ? (Including myself at times)

Many people have Seattle selecting Stacy Abrahms from Georgia while others are sure they'll take a QB.

My thinking is that Seattle will do something completely different like take someone out of left field or maybe trade
Back.. who knows? It's kind of fun to talk about and the anticipation is fun . It's like Christmas without the credit card debt.

I also know half the people on .net will be ecstatic and half will be less than happy.

I can't wait.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The 49ers push around our O-Line and D-Line and beat our asses, three times last year. DT seems like part of the issue. What else could Pete do to even the score on the lines? I felt like Interior O-Line weakness was a huge factor in the playoff loss. If our DL gets pushed around by the Niners... how do we fix it? Does the Hawks braintrust think they've already fixed the Front-7 horsepower issue enough with the additions of Dremont and Jarran Reed, the return of BWags?

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
The 49ers push around our O-Line and D-Line and beat our asses, three times last year. DT seems like part of the issue. What else could Pete do to even the score on the lines? I felt like Interior O-Line weakness was a huge factor in the playoff loss. If our DL gets pushed around by the Niners... how do we fix it? Does the Hawks braintrust think they've already fixed the Front-7 horsepower issue enough with the additions of Dremont and Jarran Reed, the return of BWags?
I'm sure they're not done. I'm just saying that a lot of times they do the unexpected

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Many people have Seattle selecting Stacy Abrahms from Georgia while others are sure they'll take a QB.
That made me laugh.

But to your point, I think the only options are the usual suspects or left field. What if they think Bijan Robinson is the best player in the entire draft and take him at #5? Is that left field enough?

This is going to be fun.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm sure they're not done. I'm just saying that a lot of times they do the unexpected
You got some college tape on this Abrams from Georgia? Has Kirby Smart weighed in on how they project in the pros? All I've heard is about the nonstop motor--of the mouth.

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
That made me laugh.

But to your point, I think the only options are the usual suspects or left field. What if they think Bijan Robinson is the best player in the entire draft and take him at #5? Is that left field enough?

This is going to be fun.
Why not ? Could you imagine?

I could see them go cornerback , and not the 2 everyone is talking about.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I don’t know how you had a previous chess piece like, Michael Bennett, that used to abuse offensive lineman, and would no longer value a player you hope to have his traits and talents.

I think every year Carroll and Schneider hope to find a carbon copy of Bennett but Seattle always falls short.

McDowell and Collier, was supposed to Michael Bennett 2.0 but the vastly over estimated their abilities.

The issue is Seattle hasn’t had an eye for a DE/DT hybrid in the mold of Michael Bennett, which, is why they keep drafting players that cannot make the same impact.

Jalen Carter, is possibly, the closest player to Michael Bennett, Seattle, has scouted.

Quick, strong, impactful, but probably isn’t as football XOs intelligent as Bennett was.

Kancey, may be also, the next closest mold to Bennett as Carter is. Kancey, seems to have the quickness, hands, and pursuit of Michael Bennett without the red flags.

The ceiling may be higher with Carter but the talent and consistency with Kancey is undeniable.

Seattle does value DT, they just don’t know how to draft them well lately.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
So many here are overlooking Kobie Turner, he's bigger & faster than Aaron Donald, and has mega Football Smarts, & is someone I could see Pete & John go after with the #20 pick, the #5 pick is anyone's guess, but whoever it turns out to be, is likely to p*ss some of y'all off, while making a bunch of the others real happy.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I don’t know how you had a previous chess piece like, Michael Bennett, that used to abuse offensive lineman, and would no longer value a player you hope to have his traits and talents.

I think every year Carroll and Schneider hope to find a carbon copy of Bennett but Seattle always falls short.

McDowell and Collier, was supposed to Michael Bennett 2.0 but the vastly over estimated their abilities.

The issue is Seattle hasn’t had an eye for a DE/DT hybrid in the mold of Michael Bennett, which, is why they keep drafting players that cannot make the same impact.

Jalen Carter, is possibly, the closest player to Michael Bennett, Seattle, has scouted.

Quick, strong, impactful, but probably isn’t as football XOs intelligent as Bennett was.

Kancey, may be also, the next closest mold to Bennett as Carter is. Kancey, seems to have the quickness, hands, and pursuit of Michael Bennett without the red flags.

The ceiling may be higher with Carter but the talent and consistency with Kancey is undeniable.

Seattle does value DT, they just don’t know how to draft them well lately.
Carter is nothing like Bennett. He’s a space eating DT, neither were any of the other players you mentioned. Bennett was a prototypical 4-3 DE that was good at popping inside during passing situations and getting pressure. The closest person from a physique standpoint is Collier. He was not a DT, he only played that position situationally.

During our SB years we went fairly light on the DTs too. We mostly filled in that position we value players/cheap vets. Our best DT was Brandon Mebane, a holdover from the Ruskell era.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Carter is nothing like Bennett. He’s a space eating DT, neither were any of the other players you mentioned. Bennett was a prototypical 4-3 DE that was good at popping inside during passing situations and getting pressure. The closest person from a physique standpoint is Collier. He was not a DT, he only played that position situationally.

During our SB years we went fairly light on the DTs too. We mostly filled in that position we value players/cheap vets. Our best DT was Brandon Mebane, a holdover from the Ruskell era.
You don’t see quick hands like Bennett with Carter?

Carter is more than a space eating DT. If he was only a space eating DT, he wouldn’t be considered a top 5 pick and previously top 3.

Bennett was great pass rushing as a 3 tech and Carter also can play 3 tech as well.

Bennett make not physically be as “big” as Carter at 300 something pounds but Bennett has interior pass rushing moves and quickness Seattle has not had since he left. Carter, has that quick like reflex and interior game wrecking ability that Bennett also had.

Bennett was very difficult to pass block, even Bill Belichick openly admitted so during the Patriots Super Bowl.

Carter also has these similar traits as Bennett did, so, yeah, I would say, Carter is more than a space eating DT.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
You don’t see quick hands like Bennett with Carter?

Carter is more than a space eating DT. If he was only a space eating DT, he wouldn’t be considered a top 5 pick and previously top 3.

Bennett was great pass rushing as a 3 tech and Carter also can play 3 tech as well.

Bennett make not physically be as “big” as Carter at 300 something pounds but Bennett has interior pass rushing moves and quickness Seattle has not had since he left. Carter, has that quick like reflex and interior game wrecking ability that Bennett also had.

Bennett was very difficult to pass block, even Bill Belichick openly admitted so during the Patriots Super Bowl.

Carter also has these similar traits as Bennett did, so, yeah, I would say, Carter is more than a space eating DT.
Carter is nothing like Bennett. First of all, Bennett was only 270 some odd pounds, Carter is 314 pounds. Bennett primarily played at DE, not at DT. Bennett only swung inside situationally. Carter doesn't even play the same position as Bennett. These players are NOTHING alike. They have different skill sets and they play different positions on the line all together. Even in pass rushing, their technique and how they get things done are different.

You're trying to ram a square peg into a round hole with this comparison.

GemCity

Reaction score
That the Seahawks might not put as much importance on DT as many on
.net ? (Including myself at times)

My thinking is that Seattle will do something completely different like take someone out of left field or maybe trade
Back.. who knows? It's kind of fun to talk about and the anticipation is fun . It's like Christmas without the credit card debt.

I also know half the people on .net will be ecstatic and half will be less than happy.

I can't wait.
I somewhat agree. It’s not that they don’t value it (and that’s not what you’re alluding to either) but, if we take a look in history, PCs defenses have started in the secondary, to LB, to DL.

Obviously DBs and DL work hand in hand. More pressure up front = less time to throw. But it can also be that the better coverage there is = more time the QB has to hold onto the ball.

I know…mind blowing. Obviously you guys know this. But, if you consider the recent fails at our attempts of beefing up the DL via the draft….I wonder just how much that influences PC and JS’ decision process.

After McDowell, I’d be hesitant as heck to take Carter. Not saying he won’t be a stud. But, I’d think twice for sure….

Mick063

Reaction score
I expect Dremont Jones to be used very similarly to how they used Bennett. In other words, DE for running downs or DT for passing downs, but not necessarily every time that the situation occurs. Enough to become unpredictable.

Carter would be at DT every down. I believe his highest ceiling would be the equivalent of Grady Jarrett of the Falcons. If he reaches that level of play he would be well worth the #5 overall pick. You get a Jarrett level player on a rookie deal and you are well on your way to contender status. Add that to Nwosu, Bush, Wagner, and Jones playing to expectations and that front seven isn't really "years away" anymore. Depending on how quickly they mesh, they could easily be envisioned as an immediate force.

What this team really, really needs is a Chris Carson clone to help keep the defense off of the field as well as open up the deep ball via play action due to a well respected ground game. The further away from the goal line, the more you use K9. The closer to the goal line, the more you use the new bruiser RB. Hence, if K9 busts loose on your side of the 50-yard line he is trucking down the field for big chunks or taking it the distance. A single twenty-yard K9 run changes field position and consistently winning the field position battle will strategically put Seattle's splendid kicking game into play. Otherwise, once past midfield, you are methodically moving the chains with the bruiser RB. This is where Seattle's vaunted "three tight end" set comes into play. They really need that second back. More than just about anything after DT is addressed.

Last edited:

getnasty

Reaction score
I keep seeing them drafting Peter Skoronski at 5. Hope i'm wrong and they go Carter or Stacey Adams.

Chevy

Reaction score
So many here are overlooking Kobie Turner, he's bigger & faster than Aaron Donald, and has mega Football Smarts, & is someone I could see Pete & John go after with the #20 pick, the #5 pick is anyone's guess, but whoever it turns out to be, is likely to p*ss some of y'all off, while making a bunch of the others real happy.
I love Kobie Turner. he has production, athletic ability, watch his interviews this dude loves football. He is my favorite DE/DT in this draft. 2nd round must for me.