Does anyone else question Geno's leadership and accountability cred?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
He has been a career backup up for years, why is he driving a Rolls? He hasn't been making enough money to spend like that.
A quick internet search found a Rolls under $15K, and about 15 of them under $30K. It wouldn't be my choice, but just driving a Rolls doesn't mean he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to get into it. (I have no idea what he paid for it. He might have bought it new when he was with the Jets for all I know.)

toffee

Reaction score
A quick internet search found a Rolls under $15K, and about 15 of them under $30K. It wouldn't be my choice, but just driving a Rolls doesn't mean he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to get into it. (I have no idea what he paid for it. He might have bought it new when he was with the Jets for all I know.)
Those cheap Rolls would be pretty old and not current body style, not sure what Geno was driving but Earl and Russ got the new or current model, easily over $250k for used.

knownone

Reaction score
Why is Geno's choice of automobiles a source of criticism? Is it possible he's invested his salary/endorsement money over the past nine years?

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
I was going to post a new thread about this, but then I saw that this thread existed from a while back.
I am super impressed with the leader ship that Geno Smith is showing, and also his attitude of resiliency.
Much like last week when Lockett had some rough moments and then came through in the clutch, what Gino did after he threw that pick six was super impressive. Notably on the penultimate play of the final touchdown drive to seal the game, he barked at Dareke Young, because he lined up on the wrong side of the formation. Then he executed the play, and then I saw him talking with young I assume to inform him of what he needed to do going forward. Next play touchdown. What a great year so impressed with Smith and the rest of the organization.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
I was going to post a new thread about this, but then I saw that this thread existed from a while back.
I am super impressed with the leader ship that Geno Smith is showing, and also his attitude of resiliency.
Much like last week when Lockett had some rough moments and then came through in the clutch, what Gino did after he threw that pick six was super impressive. Notably on the penultimate play of the final touchdown drive to seal the game, he barked at Dareke Young, because he lined up on the wrong side of the formation. Then he executed the play, and then I saw him talking with young I assume to inform him of what he needed to do going forward. Next play touchdown. What a great year so impressed with Smith and the rest of the organization.
Yeah I was wrong. He's been great.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think Geno is probably an upper-echelon backup, talent-wise. I think some people are a little harsh because their expectations have been thrown out of whack by generally-good quarterback play for the past two decades, with some stretches of badness.

What I'm looking for is who the locker room wants to have the job. Who they rally around. So far, all indications are that Geno holds that distinction - but I'm not in the room.
I cannot believe how off the mark I was on this regarding Geno's talent. He's clearly always had a good arm and good athleticism. Not sure what I was on about here.

But the team rallying around Geno, that part has turned out correct. It was fair to wonder, considering some of his early career shenanigans and his offseason DUI... but I mean, the dude is doing it all correctly

Rainger

Reaction score
O
Is he the leader the team will follow going into the season?

I was surprised that the Seahawks were so quick to forgive Geno Smith for his DUI arrest in Jan. 2022 and his absolute garbage behavior during the arrest and blood draw process. I honestly expected to read the next week that the Hawks had waived him. Example of his behavior:

Smith was reportedly driving 96 miles per hour in a 60 mph zone in his Rolls Royce. Police documents said he drove erratically, smelled of booze and told them he drank wine before driving.
Officers allege Smith became belligerent during field sobriety tests and then stopped participating. He was then taken back to the police station.
“I joked with him about how my wife thinks I work too much. Somehow he said that’s because ‘you have a little d–k,'” an officer wrote in documents. “I said, wow, maybe that is the problem, then he said, ‘You have a little d–k, you have little d–k syndrome.'”

The 31-year-old refused both a breathalyzer and a blood test. “I’ll f–k every one of y’all up,” he reportedly told officers before having his arms and legs restrained. “You don’t want to see me out of these cuffs, you don’t want to know what will happen.”

I honestly haven't followed his court case, because it's irrelevant to me. Geno's behavior during the arrest, and his poor judgment to put himself in that situation in the first place are huge red flags

There there is the 2015 incident with the Jets where Smith got sucker-punched by a backup LB (NK Enemkpali) who he owed money to -- $600!! and kept blowing off. The sucker punch broke Geno's jaw and he was out 6 weeks, opening the path for Ryan Fitzpatrick to take the starting QB job and run with it. The $600 mattered to this reserve rookie LB, but was pocket change to Geno. While the sucker punch was a horrible thing, part of me feels like Geno got what he deserved. Why TF did Geno keep stiffing this guy instead of handling business he agreed to? Then Geno mocked him, in a smug superior way. Then he got punched and lost his smugness. This is team leader behavior? Not in my book! Geno flaked on a commitment to a teammate and then mocked him and threw him under the bus. Read about it here...

To me, Geno's judgment to speed 96 in a 60 zone and act like an ass-clown in his Jan. 2022 interactions with the cops suggest that the tiger hasn't really changed his stripes. When the chips are down, when the pressure is on, it seems the ugly truth about Geno Smith comes out. Geno had late, game-winning drive opportunities vs both the Saints and the Steelers. Both times Geno stumbled, fumbled, made bad decisions and crumbled meekly under pressure.

Is that just who Geno Smith is at this point in his NFL career and life, someone who stumbles, fumbles, and generally makes bad decisions when the pressure is on? Or do people see truly redeeming leadership qualities in Geno, where a team will follow him to hell and back under pressure, because of their strong belief in his leadership, character, and will to win? Did the Hawks make the right call to stand behind Geno and gloss over the DUI, or should they have cut ties with him at that point?

P.S. This is not an argument for or against Drew Lock. For all we know Lock could have worse issues.
Conjecture, heresay, go ask the hawk players and staff if they agree with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He is worthless on every level. He has no value, nothing redeeming he projects. It almost offends me to see him in a Seahawk uniform. Because he is just such a disgusting personality from what he projects, I almost have to overlook it. Brandon Browner killed someone (I think?) but I still feel Geno is the most repulsive person I have witnessed in a Seahawk uniform. At least Browner was redeeming as a player.
I still think this was the worst of this thread. This was the kind of stuff Geno was up against on this board, as recently as August.

Own The West

Reaction score
Today’s response to the pick 6 was similar to the response to having the center called for false start a couple weeks ago.

There’s something to be said about Geno playing angry…

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I still think this was the worst of this thread. This was the kind of stuff Geno was up against on this board, as recently as August.
To me it's the vitriol in his/her "voice" that is so insanely suspect to me. And I have noticed it from other posters as well. The Brandon Browner comparison/anecdote says it all. Some real "Little D--k" activity, for certain.

keasley45

Reaction score
It was crazy to question his leadership based on some off the field error. Yes, given the altercation he got into when he was a kid with the Jets, 30 years ago,...ok. But you could see that he had his teammates respect after his play last year. You could see how they rallied to him after just 4 games and in this offseason. And you could see that even before Russ left, that it seemed that some of his teammates were showing an allegiance to what him and what he brought to the table that was obviously lacking without him.

keasley45

Reaction score

For certain. There was another that referenced his 'dumb' look. For sure, something rooted in a 'non football' perspective...

There was nothing repulsive about the dude. Immature when he was young? Sure. But it was some of the same folks that saw a lack of leadership in Geno.. immaturity, whatever, that wanted Baker Mayfield here.

Baker Mayfield. The guy who's major accomplishment since coming into the NFL was a handful of marginally funny TV commercials. And who said himself he couldn't lead a roster full of paid athletes...who raged (on camera) against the opposing teams coach, unprovoked, and who has generally shown on several occasions that he's not completely 'baked' as a leader of anything. THAT guy would have been a good get.

Hmmm...

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
O

Omg you need to slit your wrists over this post. Conjecture, heresay, go ask the hawk players and staff if they agree with you.
And exactly where were you on August 12th standing up to say Geno will lead the team to 6-3 and 1st place in the NFC West, and prove all his doubters wrong? Of course, you were nowhere to be found. Geno made some very poor personal choices on the night he was arrested in January 2022, driving drunk and driving at high speeds, 96mph in a 40mph* zone, and behaving in a very un-classy way during his arrest and booking. But for the grace of God, there goes Henry Ruggs. Here is an article summarizing the events of that January 2022 night. https://www.foxnews.com/sports/seahawks-geno-smith-96-mph-threatened-police-dui-arrest

It was absolutely a fair question at the time I asked it. The DUI arrest occurred in January 2022. Whatever else, Geno's performance and leadership on the field since then has made huge statements.

Perhaps the DUI experience that night was what bitch-slapped Geno into deciding to do some things different? Maybe he realized he was on the verge of blowing his probably final opportunity to prove himself as a starting QB? Maybe Geno reflected on the day, years ago, when he got his jaw broken by a rookie linebacker teammate he stiffed over a $600 debt and then taunted, and lost his starting job due to his stupidity in creating and then stupidly escalating the unnecessary situation? Maybe Geno resolved to make some changes and stop doing stupid stuff? Only Geno knows.

Here is background on the punch Geno deserved from a teammate. Millionaire Geno taunted his broke-ass rookie teammate, "What're you going to do about it?", f-ed around and found out.

I certainly no longer have any questions about Geno's leadership and accountability, in his role as Seahawks starting QB, and I don't think anyone else here does either. We're all far too busy enjoying Geno's play and the cheering on the exciting and high-level overall play of the team. I don't know what has happened with his DUI case and/or any game suspension. Anyone know, did/does Geno still face any sort of suspension from the NFL?

* I've seen it reported as 96 in a 40, and 96 in a 60, not sure which is correct.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
It was crazy to question his leadership based on some off the field error. Yes, given the altercation he got into when he was a kid with the Jets, 30 years ago,...ok. But you could see that he had his teammates respect after his play last year. You could see how they rallied to him after just 4 games and in this offseason. And you could see that even before Russ left, that it seemed that some of his teammates were showing an allegiance to what him and what he brought to the table that was obviously lacking without him.
At the time, absolutely fair questions, not crazy at all, and it was errors, plural, over the course of Geno's career. You usually don't engage in this kind of Monday-morning quarterbacking. The DUI incident occurred in January 2022. I do agree it was downright idiocy, the one poster who said Geno was worse than Brandon Browner, given Browner is in jail for attempted murder. Please don't smear me with that, I said nothing of the sort.

Geno has "written back" with his play on the field, and it's obvious the team will follow him to the gates of hell and back. None of this was "obvious" in early August of 2022.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
We were all wrong. I didn't see anybody saying they thought Geno would be playing at an ELITE level.

The degree to which each person was wrong may be different, but I am ecstatic that we were all proven wrong.

Wilson fans, Carroll haters, and many who were worried about Smith sucking misrepresented the position @Maelstrom787 and @keasley45 took during the preseason, which was that, based on Smith's performance last season and in this preseason, he might not be bad. That was exaggerated into strawmen like "you think Geno is God." Those two actually convinced me we might even see league-average QB play from Smith, and I would have been really happy with that, given that Smith's cap hit is $3.5M this season, and a coach like Carroll could do a lot with a 2022-league-average QB.
Now we can see that even those two are pleasantly surprised by what Smith has been doing through the first 53% of the season (nine of 17 games). They were much closer to the truth than most of us were, but I don't think even Smith's mom expected him to be one of the top QBs in the league this season.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

I saw the reference to Brandon Browner. He was convicted for trying to kill his gf, not actually killing her.