Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laloosh

Reaction score
It's not that I dislike Niner fans or their presence. It's just that some of their contributions are to this board, what this video is to a good song...

Edit: I apologize in advance to you old farts who will break a hip gettin' down to this ;)

[youtube]H_6MH-b6o2Q[/youtube]

brimsalabim

Reaction score
From what I have read the sports hip labrum injury usually falls into one of two categories. 1. Result of a twisting impact type injury. Or 2. The result of an arthritic condition.

The first can be repaired but the second condition is chronic.

So if he already had the injury before he was signed then it might be the result of impact and there fore can be recovered from. If the tear truly just manifested this week with no contact then it is arthritic and will only get worse.

If he can't ever play how does he impact our cap and can we claim any of our picks back?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SeaTown81":12zenrtr said:
Stoned Cold":12zenrtr said:
Are you guys really complaining about somebody trashing your team on the internet? Jesus. Grow a pair. Quit being bitches.

So those unnamed reasons I was talking about in response to Doc.

Gotta love the deep thinkers.

:white_flag:
Whats wrong, 81? The misogynistic doofus didn't convince you with his religious appeal for you to grow a 3rd and 4th testicle? You really are a hard sell.
Go Hawks.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":ldu7rw6t said:
So Rappaport and la Confora are basically reporting the 100% exact opposite thing about what the Seahawks doctors recommended for Harvin?

Yup.

Translation: Everyone should probably calm the hell down and quit swallowing their tongues in apoplexy until there's some real information to go on.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":3772x7i9 said:
Are you guys really complaining about somebody trashing your team on the internet? Jesus. Grow a pair. Quit being bitches. Embrace the rivalry, quit wearing skirts. Some of the comments and crying around here is downright shameful. Its as if you never played competitive sports and dealt with trash talk. SMH

What really sucks is some of you complaining to the moderators. Talking about banning people cuz you can't handle what they said.

Thats embarrassing. Crying to the moderators.....disgusting.

S.A.S.F
:13:

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, we didn't have Harvin last year, so I guess we should just plan on not having him until it actually happens.

Next man up !!!!!!

And that man could be Tate if I had my way. I look for a huge season from him.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I F'N love this thread!

The overreaction, the finally making a stand against the Niners fans/trolls (because they're all the same in the end), but my absolute favorite, all of the friggin doctors that we have on this site! Ahhh man, I hope this goes for 17 more pages until next week when Percy Harvin has a second opinion and this all turns out to be much ado about nothing.

Until then...

:snack:

God I love this place.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Holy crap, there are way too many people asking about "sending him back" or "cutting him", there is no way in hell we cut Harvin. We don't even know how serious this injury is yet, a slight tear is not a full tear and depending on the severity can either heal on its own or require a small procedure. If he's out 12-15 weeks, that puts us at around half the season. Half a season of Harvin, including possibly the playoffs, is enough to justify his cost. I think some of you worry way too much about the money aspect when the cap can be easily manipulated. I didn't see Schneider or Carroll worried about his contract when they signed him. This is not a big deal people, calm down.

It's kind of embarrassing to me how quickly people will turn on a player due to injury.

AlaskanViking

Reaction score
Vikings fan here. Not looking to "talk smack", only to give my 2 cents on a WR who I have followed very closely for his entire NFL career.

First off, Percy is a heck of a weapon on offense. Whenever he plays you guys are going to be happy with him. His elusiveness with the ball in his hands is just silly. He is also tough as nails on gamedays, not shying away from contact at all, almost to the point of being reckless (when he was a Viking I used to worry about how long of a career he would have). His ability to run out of the backfield, both inside and outside the tackles, gives him that "gadget factor" where defenses always have to account for him no matter where he is on the field. He is amazing at getting YAC. I read someone on here say that he wasn't a fit on a Ponder-led offense, and that isn't true at all. With QBs like that who are best with short quick passes, Harvin is the perfect WR. It makes more sense to go for high-completion short passes and let Percy rack up YAC. He rarely saw deep passes downfield.

That being said, you are now getting your first taste of Percy World. He hates to practice. A lot. He also is nicked up a lot with nagging injuries. For as long as he's in the NFL, there will always be drama surrounding Percy Harvin. It's sad, because his attitude didn't really turn so poor until Randy Moss came back for that brief stint with the Vikings. Percy reportedly followed Moss around like a lost puppy and was enamored with him. Moss behaved horribly in his short return to Minnesota (ex: the lunchroom incident where Moss blew up and screamed that he wouldn't feed the team caterer's food to his dog). After Moss was let go, Harvin and then-coach Brad Childress got into a heated altercation, and Percy hurled a weight at Childress (although it didn't hit him).

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if Percy ends up being fine medically and this was a way to get out of some practices. You can decide for yourselves how much that does or doesn't bother you. There was a time when those antics made Vikings fans say "Meh, as long as he plays on Sundays..." But over time, the constant off-field drama and prima-donna behavior wore on people and chased him out of Minnesota. It's not often you see teams trade away talented WRs in their prime. Especially since at the time we had a completely bare WR cupboard without Harvin. I don't want to see Percy fail in Seattle, the trade is done now and both teams got what they wanted. Hopefully it works out for both teams.

openureyez

Reaction score
I dont post much, but im on this site way too much. Im sure nobody really cares about my opinion but I had to weigh in on this...

I was really excited for training camp to open, and then I saw the Harvin injury news. My initial reaction was surprise, but I was in no way devastated. I turn on the radio for more details and everyone sounds like the season is over. A team that won 11 games and went to the playoffs, and apparently they should just pack it in. The analysis was lazy period. A rookie QB that split reps 3 ways during training camp last year will get a the reps this year. A team returning 18-19 starters, and all I heard was about how the season is in jeopardy because of a luxury pickup. And yes Harvin is a luxury addition; akin to putting rims on a Cadillac. It’s already a nice ride without the shiny rims.

I didn’t see one piece of news that was not related to the injury. I was completely turned off. My wife even asked what my problem was, but I declined comment. AJ Green went down in the first practice; injuries are part of the game. The people who have the need to be right spouting “this was concern when they traded for him” pisses me off. Get over yourselves. Any player who plays the violent sport of football is at risk of injury.
I think Im most irritated because I didn’t flinch at all. No it’s not an ideal situation, but no one should have expected a season without any adversity. Not to mention how other team’s issues seemed to get brushed aside. Tom Brady throwing to elementary school students = playoffs. Ravens gutted roster, no problem. Falcons lose their center, best pass rusher and both cornerbacks, Super Bowl. Seattle lost Harvin, why even take the field?

I keep trying to get myself worked up, but I can’t. It’s because of #3. I am not saying he is an “elite” quarterback, but he is a winner. I’ve heard him compared to a lot of people, but I have found one that I deem most appropriate. When I look in Russell’s eyes I knew I had seen that look before. That fire, that passion everyone doesn’t have that drive. I understand that these two play different sports but the energy and vibe coming from their eyes is the same. I see the same look in #3 eyes that I see in Tim Duncan’s eyes. They are winners. The stats may not always be pretty but they give you a chance to win whenever they take the field or court.

I had the pleasure of attending the Atlanta playoff game last season. I heard #3 bring the dome to COMPLETE silence with the late go ahead drive. I cannot tell you what that experience was like. I was a fan before seeing him live, and after seeing it I was blown away. This guy was the best player on the field. Stats don’t matter to me, as long #3 is taking the snaps the Seattle Seahawks will remain competitive. I understand this is uncharted territory for Seahawk fans, but this is what it feels like when you find your guy at QB. So Seattle fans please try and relax the sky is not falling. As long #3 is around, we’ll always have a shot.

DericLee

Reaction score
Disappointed we paid so much($$/draft picks) and we might lose him for the first season(or part of it).

Outside of that though? Why the concern?

We where great on offense last year, especially by the end of the season, and we have all the pieces coming back.

It was or D that let the Atlanta game go, not our O, and our D got better, with out Percy our O is essentially the same, and the last half of the season we where ranked 1 or 2 in scoring....so...why the worry? This changes nothing.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
If AlaskanViking is correct, and Harvin helps this team win a Super Bowl, he can piss on the logo at the CLink during a game and I won't care. I suspect that if the Vikings beat the Saints in the NFCCG and win the Super Bowl a couple years back, Vikings fans would feel the same way.

I also suspect that if we don't win jack and three years from now, Harvin is being a PITA, I'll want to run him out of town too.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Until Hans (a doctor!) gives us his prognosis, none of us should do anything.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
AlaskanViking":39rqzdln said:
Vikings fan here. Not looking to "talk smack", only to give my 2 cents on a WR who I have followed very closely for his entire NFL career.

First off, Percy is a heck of a weapon on offense. Whenever he plays you guys are going to be happy with him. His elusiveness with the ball in his hands is just silly. He is also tough as nails on gamedays, not shying away from contact at all, almost to the point of being reckless (when he was a Viking I used to worry about how long of a career he would have). His ability to run out of the backfield, both inside and outside the tackles, gives him that "gadget factor" where defenses always have to account for him no matter where he is on the field. He is amazing at getting YAC. I read someone on here say that he wasn't a fit on a Ponder-led offense, and that isn't true at all. With QBs like that who are best with short quick passes, Harvin is the perfect WR. It makes more sense to go for high-completion short passes and let Percy rack up YAC. He rarely saw deep passes downfield.

That being said, you are now getting your first taste of Percy World. He hates to practice. A lot. He also is nicked up a lot with nagging injuries. For as long as he's in the NFL, there will always be drama surrounding Percy Harvin. It's sad, because his attitude didn't really turn so poor until Randy Moss came back for that brief stint with the Vikings. Percy reportedly followed Moss around like a lost puppy and was enamored with him. Moss behaved horribly in his short return to Minnesota (ex: the lunchroom incident where Moss blew up and screamed that he wouldn't feed the team caterer's food to his dog). After Moss was let go, Harvin and then-coach Brad Childress got into a heated altercation, and Percy hurled a weight at Childress (although it didn't hit him).

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if Percy ends up being fine medically and this was a way to get out of some practices. You can decide for yourselves how much that does or doesn't bother you. There was a time when those antics made Vikings fans say "Meh, as long as he plays on Sundays..." But over time, the constant off-field drama and prima-donna behavior wore on people and chased him out of Minnesota. It's not often you see teams trade away talented WRs in their prime. Especially since at the time we had a completely bare WR cupboard without Harvin. I don't want to see Percy fail in Seattle, the trade is done now and both teams got what they wanted. Hopefully it works out for both teams.

I appreciate the perspective, but I fail to see how Harvin is generating "drama" when the team noted that an MRI showed a possible labrum tear. Do you think he tore his labrum - however much - intentionally to get out of practicing?

The only reason there's any drama is because people - not the Seahawks, the coaching staff, or the players apparently - are getting worked up over the fact that Harvin was held out of practice. These people are ignoring factors like...

1. If a player practices in training camp, he cannot be put on PUP. So if the team has any concern at all that they might need to use the PUP designation on a player, they need to use it right off the bat in TC. After all, they can always activate him whenever they want.
2. A team is going to protect its investment, especially when there is no need to risk it. If Harvin does indeed have an injury that requires surgery, it makes zero sense for the team to trot him out for the first days of TC. If his injury is minor enough that surgery is not required, then all that's lost is a couple of days in July while the 2nd opinion is received.

I think there are a couple of factors that go into people here losing their minds over this. One is that we've been starved of football for so long that everything is magnified right now. The tweaks that some players have that are keeping them sidelined are going to be common currency in the middle of the season. There will be guys held out of practice all the time during the season just to rest/protect an injury, and it won't end up being any real big deal. But because it's right now when people are desperate for football news, it gets blown the hell out of proportion. Secondly, it's just the Seahawks fanbase... we've gotten so burned for so long by so many things that the idea of being optimistic (or even realistic) about something simply doesn't occur to many folks. Any setback, real or imagined, becomes a reaffirmation to many that their team is cursed or doomed or whatever. And it goes beyond the standard fanaticism of people who post on team messageboards. You expect to see highs and lows from any devoted fanbase. And when the Seahawks are performing well, those highs definitely show up here. But when they lose a game, the gnashing of teeth, the negativity, the doom-and-gloom goes above and beyond any excitement shown when the team is successful.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
AlaskanViking":247ugr5k said:

Thanks for your perspective. I think most of us trust that Carroll and Schneider had a long talk with Harvin before they traded for and signed him. That's been hashed out quite a bit when the trade went down, so I won't go over it in too much detail.

As for the practice thing, I actually suspect you're wrong about Percy wanting to miss practice for a few reasons.

1. I have little doubt that Harvin wants to impress the other people on the Seahawks. Part of it is that he's the new shiny toy and he wants to fit in, but the other part of it is: Have you seen the dudes on our team? How could you not want to impress them when they're really good? Validation is important.

2. Carroll aims to make practice fun and exciting for the players. High energy, music blaring, and lots of competition. Harvin seems to be a very competitive type, and I'm sure he's more than willing to game on. (See point 1 again.)

3. It seems that the tear showed up on the MRI and the team is doing its due diligence in protecting their investment. So, to me, it sounded like it was top down and not bottom up.

Again, thanks for sharing with us.

Cartire

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1n2qzd66 said:
AlaskanViking":1n2qzd66 said:

I appreciate the perspective, but I fail to see how Harvin is generating "drama" when the team noted that an MRI showed a possible labrum tear. Do you think he tore his labrum - however much - intentionally to get out of practicing?

The only reason there's any drama is because people - not the Seahawks, the coaching staff, or the players apparently - are getting worked up over the fact that Harvin was held out of practice. These people are ignoring factors like...

1. If a player practices in training camp, he cannot be put on PUP. So if the team has any concern at all that they might need to use the PUP designation on a player, they need to use it right off the bat in TC. After all, they can always activate him whenever they want.
2. A team is going to protect its investment, especially when there is no need to risk it. If Harvin does indeed have an injury that requires surgery, it makes zero sense for the team to trot him out for the first days of TC. If his injury is minor enough that surgery is not required, then all that's lost is a couple of days in July while the 2nd opinion is received.

I think there are a couple of factors that go into people here losing their minds over this. One is that we've been starved of football for so long that everything is magnified right now. The tweaks that some players have that are keeping them sidelined are going to be common currency in the middle of the season. There will be guys held out of practice all the time during the season just to rest/protect an injury, and it won't end up being any real big deal. But because it's right now when people are desperate for football news, it gets blown the hell out of proportion. Secondly, it's just the Seahawks fanbase... we've gotten so burned for so long by so many things that the idea of being optimistic (or even realistic) about something simply doesn't occur to many folks. Any setback, real or imagined, becomes a reaffirmation to many that their team is cursed or doomed or whatever. And it goes beyond the standard fanaticism of people who post on team messageboards. You expect to see highs and lows from any devoted fanbase. And when the Seahawks are performing well, those highs definitely show up here. But when they lose a game, the gnashing of teeth, the negativity, the doom-and-gloom goes above and beyond any excitement shown when the team is successful.

H1CCE6DAD

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Percy "didn't like practicing" with the Vikings . . . because Ponder sucks. Simple. :th2thumbs:

I'm sure he is excited to get on the field as much as possible with a real NFL QB.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Three words: Matt Flynn's elbow. Remember when that convenient affliction allowed our rookie QB more snaps and made it easier to name him the starter? [urltargetblank]http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawksblog/2018990524_pete_carroll_un.html[/urltargetblank]

The difference is that Percy isn't fighting another player for a single roster spot. The similarity is that it's plausibly a very minor twinge of an injury that allows Percy to avoid unnecessary harm (i.e., hits from Kam and BB, like BFS pointed out). Let's not forget, this is the defense that cut short Harvin's MVP-type season in 2012. Why risk it when we already know what he can do on gameday? More reps are always better for chemistry, but I seriously doubt the drop-off for missed practice between Russell and Percy is all that significant.

As for bothersome posters (be they 9ers or not), I recommend scrolling past without reading. Works every time. It's pretty easy too. Or as Dr. Diags suggested, use that "foe" button and let the Matrix erase those buggers for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts