Guinness World Records to measure for loudest crowd roar

bestfightstory

Reaction score
bestfightstory":28qqr7cf said:
RolandDeschain":28qqr7cf said:
bestfightstory":28qqr7cf said:
Cheese it up? Okay.

This should be good. I would love to hear you explain how bringing a megaphone isn't cheesing it up. :)

Better yet: YOU explain why it is. It is your description, after all.

Hope it was as good for you as it wasn't for any of us.

Typical.

Veilside

Reaction score
Drai":gs648gv3 said:
Just got tickets to this game, sitting in the Hawks Nest. Haven't been to one since Christmas Eve against the Colts in 2005. So excited: Sunday Night Football, Division Rival, top 2 in the power rankings, and now Guinness World Records will be there.

Wow that's the last game I went to also! I've been dying to go again. Hopefully soon.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Are megaphones still allowed? I could have sworn I saw on two different occasions where they were not allowed in. Maybe I am just imagining things but one looked like the regular plastic job and the other was like a nice one that the guy literally turned around to take it to his car.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bestfightstory":23h7df1a said:

Typical.

What's typical? You think I was dodging responding to this because I hadn't replied yet? Give me a break, plenty of people around here accuse me of responding to too much.

In my opinion, a megaphone (or anything artificially loud designed to make noise that is brought into a stadium along the lines of a plastic bottle with rocks or coins in it or those annoying vuvuzelas) is cheap for trying to break a crowd noise world record. It's a crowd noise competition, not an advertisement for whatever company makes megaphones, or a contest to see what crowd can shake quarters the loudest. If you're going to allow megaphones, what's to stop people from walking in with as big of a full-range speaker as they can carry on their back and a microphone? Why don't we just organize a protest where everyone has their own speaker and microphone?

I'm surprised you disagree with me on this, to be honest. A sports crowd noise contest should be organic, in my opinion. If you disagree, that's fine; you wanted my explanation, there it is.

Omahawk

Reaction score
This is why 12 is unmatched. This, pardon my pop culture reference, is going to be epic. Let's do this. 12!

OP
OP
dunceface

dunceface

Reaction score
I GOT IT! Bagpipes with vuvuzelas on the end of every pipe!

Hawker

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3b9lc618 said:
In my opinion, a megaphone (or anything artificially loud designed to make noise that is brought into a stadium along the lines of a plastic bottle with rocks or coins in it or those annoying vuvuzelas) is cheap for trying to break a crowd noise world record. It's a crowd noise competition, not an advertisement for whatever company makes megaphones, or a contest to see what crowd can shake quarters the loudest. If you're going to allow megaphones, what's to stop people from walking in with as big of a full-range speaker as they can carry on their back and a microphone? Why don't we just organize a protest where everyone has their own speaker and microphone?
... A sports crowd noise contest should be organic, in my opinion.

Wholeheartedly agree, and I would be somewhat surprised if Guinness allowed any kind of artificial noisemaker into the contest. This should be a hooting and hollering contest, in short.

seahwkfvr

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2jpn60wg said:
Paging palatypus....

This

and we need to print info cards on when to begin getting loud. Once we kick the ball to the opposing team and their offense in walking onto the field from the sideline, we should already be as loud as possible

mikeak

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":lbskq90r said:
bestfightstory":lbskq90r said:

Typical.

What's typical? You think I was dodging responding to this because I hadn't replied yet? Give me a break, plenty of people around here accuse me of responding to too much.

I'm surprised you disagree with me on this, to be honest. A sports crowd noise contest should be organic, in my opinion. If you disagree, that's fine; you wanted my explanation, there it is.

Crap - I have to agree 100% with you...... :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mikeak":2natvbp2 said:
Crap - I have to agree 100% with you...... :)

Relax, it's alright. ;)

Here's a pic from the future of BFS walking into the Clink on game day in week 2 of this year:

577268_415723665149856_1092102204_n.jpg

bestfightstory

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":19w5p5by said:
bestfightstory":19w5p5by said:

Typical.

I don't disagree with your description as much as I do your characterization of somebody with a handmade noisemaker as 'cheesy'? A Bullhorn? Not Acceptable. A 3foot megaphone? Not Acceptable. A 12 inch handmade megaphone that simulates about the same effect as cupped hands? I'm fine with that. A McGyver'd rattle? Why the hell not? I don't want Vezuvulas at the game necessarily but yeah I'm all for people getting creative about upping the volume output. Ask anybody who has been to a home game with me. I will wear my throat out. And not stop. I'm a savage in the stands at home on gamedays. What I find 'cheesy' are all the people who aren't going ballistic at all times when our team is on defense. To each their own, but I certainly wish there were fewer of them in the crowd.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I cup my hands and scream my loudest. Organic, baby. Au natural crowd noise.

What annoys me as well are people that don't start screaming until the players go to the line. We want to make it impossible for them to hear play calls from the QB; we need to scream as loudly as possible while they're in the huddle, AND while they're at the line waiting for the snap. You can take a breather when the huddle breaks up and they're walking to the line, then scream again.

Largent80

Reaction score
Somebody get Mr. Methane a ticket, and the rest will become history and lore. Bitterswwet Symphony would be perfect for him.

[youtube]XCpPEnwQe3Q[/youtube]

sc85sis

Reaction score
That image of Kaep having to scream to be heard by guys just a foot away last year was a beautiful thing.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2uxeo53z said:
I cup my hands and scream my loudest. Organic, baby. Au natural crowd noise.

What annoys me as well are people that don't start screaming until the players go to the line. We want to make it impossible for them to hear play calls from the QB; we need to scream as loudly as possible while they're in the huddle, AND while they're at the line waiting for the snap. You can take a breather when the huddle breaks up and they're walking to the line, then scream again.

Well. We can agree on this. I know I have been in that stadium many times when I could not differentiate my own voice at full volume from the noise of all those around me. BeastQuake and the NFC Championship come to mind. I imagine you have experienced that effect-it happens a time or two in nearly every game.

It's typically not that deafening, however. If it were (as it could and should be) I wouldn't need my homemade rattle. Blame the cheese on the lame asses who are not all in.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I am kind of torn on this. While I am typically a purest and would not want "artificial crowd noise" I do not want to be at an unfair disadvantage to any other teams. Can you guarantee that other teams will not make homemade rattles or have other noise enhancers? If we can't then shouldn't we do everything possible?

In a way I would almost rather them not do the record thing at all. I have always found it more rewarding to simply be known for the loudest crowds by teams and fans rather than try to find any and all statistical data to point and say "see look, we are loud".

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1obd10hr said:
I imagine you have experienced that effect-it happens a time or two in nearly every game.
I was in section 113 with a friend along the sideline Beast Mode ran to in the 2010 Saints @ Seahawks game. It was glorious, and I will never forget that game for the rest of my life.

bestfightstory":1obd10hr said:
It's typically not that deafening, however. If it were (as it could and should be) I wouldn't need my homemade rattle. Blame the cheese on the lame asses who are not all in.
I totally get your perspective on this. Every time I'm at a game, I have to turn around and repeatedly do the "pull my hands up in the air" gesture to get people to scream WHILE the opposing offense is in the huddle. The local radio stations and TV stations should start a series on proper 12th man cheering etiquette, or something. If a WR mis-hears a route and runs the wrong one, or simply doesn't know what he's supposed to run, that's like giving the defense a free move in chess. The crowd definitely CAN affect the game, and we need to do our best to make it happen.

Also, even if opposing teams learn to start having their QBs use hand signals to assign plays, that prevents them from being as efficient and increases the likelihood of mistakes such as delay of game, or one guy not reading the assignment correctly, etc. No matter how you look at it, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain by being at top volume while the opposing offense is in the huddle and at the line.