Guinness World Records to measure for loudest crowd roar

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I'm not a sound engineer, but this is my experience when it comes to sound competitions/recordings.

In a car, when I had one subwoofer...I hit about 115, when I had two, it hit 120. When I was messing around and put in four. I hit about 128. There were other factors that came into play as well like burping (continuous vs 100% for short burts), changing direction of those subwoofers, ensuring all the subs were getting the same power with different amps and etc. but anyway all those differences only effected the overall decibel reading by like 3-6 dbs at a time. I remember reading somewhere that to raise 3 dbs, you almost need to double your power just for 3 dbs.

Anyway the above being said. the article on espn said the record is 134? and we recorded 114? Assuming 114 was a recorded amount from our typical crowd (which is generally sold out). It's probably our stadium screaming at 80%. Lets say we did the equivalent of Car Competion "Burping" and had everyone yell in the stadium at 100% all at once. I wouldn't be surprised if our 114 dbs only jumped up to 120 at best. Please note there is a HUGE difference in SPL going from 114-120 dbs. But that also being said, unless the 114 was recorded just at a random time in our crowd with the stadium only half or even a third full. I don't think we're going to hit 135+ dbs as we hope to and beat the record.

Not trying to be a negative nancy here, but just trying to be realistic.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1b13hzu1 said:
I'm not a sound engineer, but this is my experience when it comes to sound competitions/recordings.

In a car, when I had one subwoofer...I hit about 115, when I had two, it hit 120. When I was messing around and put in four. I hit about 128. There were other factors that came into play as well like burping (continuous vs 100% for short burts), changing direction of those subwoofers, ensuring all the subs were getting the same power with different amps and etc. but anyway all those differences only effected the overall decibel reading by like 3-6 dbs at a time. I remember reading somewhere that to raise 3 dbs, you almost need to double your power just for 3 dbs.

Anyway the above being said. the article on espn said the record is 134? and we recorded 114? Assuming 114 was a recorded amount from our typical crowd (which is generally sold out). It's probably our stadium screaming at 80%. Lets say we did the equivalent of Car Competion "Burping" and had everyone yell in the stadium at 100% all at once. I wouldn't be surprised if our 114 dbs only jumped up to 120 at best. Please note there is a HUGE difference in SPL going from 114-120 dbs. But that also being said, unless the 114 was recorded just at a random time in our crowd with the stadium only half or even a third full. I don't think we're going to hit 135+ dbs as we hope to and beat the record.

Not trying to be a negative nancy here, but just trying to be realistic.

I agree. I think it will be VERY difficult to beat the record. The noise won't peak during a snap count on defense, it would probably be from a big offensive play. If it's a blowout like December, I don't think we will be close. We might need a close game and a Beastquake type of play to put comparable decibels.

Speaking of which, how did no one measure the noise level during Beastquake?! I'm pretty sure an artificial earthquake is pretty damn loud.

A

Anonymous

It is going to be all about the placement of the microphones, IMHO.

Seems to me that there has got to be an acoustical "sweet spot" like on a cable spanning across the field about mid-field. They already have cameras running around above the field, why not set up the mic in the same way? If they had it on a sideline it would not pick up the required volumes.

They had Tafoya on NFL network this morning talking about it. He was saying that it was so loud on the field he couldn't hear Lofa call the defensive plays, he could just his ear-pads in his helmet vibrating. They definitely need to put the mic above the center of the field.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Why do we want to try and do this again? How does this enhance the Seahawk mystique?

The potential negatives outweigh the positives IMO.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1x0zcen5 said:
Why do we want to try and do this again? How does this enhance the Seahawk mystique?

The potential negatives outweigh the positives IMO.

Definitely don't put the measuring device in Dom's section. It is the quietest section in all of professional sports. But, honestly, this thing seems less and less worthwhile, imo. They are only measuring Three pre-determined moments during the game??

Color me skeptical.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2rnpwh4s said:
It is going to be all about the placement of the microphones, IMHO.

Seems to me that there has got to be an acoustical "sweet spot" like on a cable spanning across the field about mid-field. They already have cameras running around above the field, why not set up the mic in the same way? If they had it on a sideline it would not pick up the required volumes.

They had Tafoya on NFL network this morning talking about it. He was saying that it was so loud on the field he couldn't hear Lofa call the defensive plays, he could just his ear-pads in his helmet vibrating. They definitely need to put the mic above the center of the field.

It has to be on the field. Even for the less important games. . Just during intros and kickoff the sound is so loud that my ears literally hear nothing but distorted noise. Think of a seashell up to the ear but really super loud and that is what it is like down there.

From the field, the crowd is literally right on top of you. It is really different. I couldn't imagine being down there for a big play.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Here is a pretty decent article about how they did it a few years back.

The current Guinness record for “loudest crowd roar at a sport stadium” is 131.76 decibels, set during a soccer match at the Ali Sami Yen Sport Complex Turk Telekom Arena on March 18, 2011, in Istanbul, Turkey, by fans of Turkey’s Galatasaray S.K. club. Here’s more about the record-setting attempt from Guinness:

The sound level was measured from the side line of the stadium. Distance to the crowd was 2 meters. They were given 3 attempts. The first attempt was at 20:50 pm, it measured 112.08 dbA. The second attempt was at 21:03 pm and measured 130.55 dbA. The third attempt took place at 21:15 pm and produced a reading of 131.76 dbA. A notary and one witness (sound engineer) were present. The precision measuring noise level meter (certified and calibrated) was a Bruel & Kjaer 2250 RAM DT-8850. This was the first derby game which took place at the brand new home (stadium) for Galatasaray SC and its fans. 49,488 fans of Galatasaray SC and 2,500 fans of Fenerbahce SC were counted that day. The game was finally won by Fenerbahce SC, 2-1.

On their website, the Seahawks say Seattle’s 12th Man has been measured at 112 decibels — louder than a power saw or a rock concert, and not much quieter than a Boeing 747.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2013 ... ost-49ers/