Bill Wixey's (Q13) comment about the 12s

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Not sure if you can imbed a FaceBook post, so I'll just copy/paste. What do you guys think?

https://www.facebook.com/billwixey1?fref=nf

This is going to tick some 12s off, but this needs to be said. The Seahawks' once-overwhelming and feared homefield advantage has disappeared. This latest 4th quarter collapse cements that fact.
Carolina QB Cam Newton said earlier this week that he isn't terribly intimidated playing in Seattle. Why would he be? This Seahawks defense has allowed opposing QBs to complete better than 90% of their 4th quarter passes this season. That is a fact. Another fact: the Hawks are a victim of their own success. It was a hungry and rabid team that dominated opponents and ignited the passion in a fan base desperate for something to cheer about. The 12s set world records for crowd noise, as the Hawks won multiple championships. It was a beautiful, reciprocal love affair. But that is over.

I've been going to Seahawks games literally since day one, in 1976. Trust me, I know what a loud stadium sounds like. This is not a loud stadium. You can't buy a ticket for less than a few hundred bucks anymore. The hardcore fans that bleed blue and green have been priced out, and have been replaced by the monied masses, in their brand new jerseys, who either don't care, or don't know enough about football to realize when or how to really bring the noise and help the team. CenturyLink Field is still one of the greatest sports venues in the world, but It feels like complacency has set in--among the Hawks and their fans.

Seahawks Sunday used to be a happening. Now, it's a scene.
There's plenty of blame to go around for this one. Credit Newton and the Panthers for stepping up and making plays, but this 4th quarter defensive malaise has become the norm for this team, and it's incredibly worrisome.
The offensive line is atrocious. The clock management down the stretch was very questionable. The Hawks played right into Carolina's hands.

Sure, you win as a team, and you lose as a team, but this loss puts this team's season in serious peril.
And losing this way, AGAIN, is unconscionable.

I agree. This will be the 1st time since I can remember where I don't go to a game, my wife and I would usually go to at least 1 game together. We'd also go with a group of friends and tailgate etc once a year. Every year.... but with the prices this year, we made a decision not to. And it hurt, a lot. Could I afford $300 tickets to double letter 300 level? I guess, but its just not worth it, its a ridiculous amount of money for a football game. As a diehard fan of 31 years, who's been with this team through the lowest of the lows, and highest of the highs, it hurt me to decide to not go. But hey that's just the way it is right now.

And when we went to a game, we went with the attitude of its a war, we were gonna bring it, we we're gonna do our part. We expected to have no voices the next day, we expected to be hurtin'. It was our responsibility as a 12 to bring the noise and chaos.

As a co-worker and I were talking about this this morning, he said, "Century Link got gentrified like Capital Hill." Wow.... true.

Steve2222

Reaction score
As long as you don't come back to games when their winning again more power to you. I won't question a man for how we wants to spend his money. Me however, I live in Louisiana and I'm still trying to find my way to the game in two weeks at Dallas. Just the way I am. And I'm not a glass half full guy. I've already thrown the towel in on the Seahawks. But there will still never be nothing Id rather do on a Sunday in the fall than watch Seahawks football.

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Steve2222":nd6nmf9z said:
As long as you don't come back to games when their winning again more power to you. I won't question a man for how we wants to spend his money. Me however, I live in Louisiana and I'm still trying to find my way to the game in two weeks at Dallas. Just the way I am. And I'm not a glass half full guy. I've already thrown the towel in on the Seahawks. But there will still never be nothing Id rather do on a Sunday in the fall than watch Seahawks football.

You really don't want to go down the road of questioning my fandom.

But if you have any comments about Wixey's post, would love to hear it.

kearly

Reaction score
Seemed plenty loud to me, then the 4th quarter arrived and the fans got nervous like a beaten dog.

Steve2222

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3065byrc said:
Steve2222":3065byrc said:

Really don't care how much of a fan you say you are. But that post of yours screams fair weathered fan.....not to be confused with me calling you a bandwagoner.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There is a good bit of hyperbole in that comment from Wixey.

Agree the crowd doesn't seem to be into it as strongly as they were in the past, but the past few games haven't helped anyone's confidence the D will hang in strongly and the O will continue to pound out the clock.

Perhaps the back to back L's will back off the price gougers and tickets will fall back into a closer resemblance to face value, while ridding the crowd of some the upscale, we're here b/c it's cool to be here, bandwagon fans.

All the team really needs to begin to right things is to lay a good old fashion ass kicking on a divisional rival, or just actually win a game clearly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's not as simple as Wixley is making it out to be.

It's a two way street, the team inspires the fans to get loud through their ferocious play. The fans in turn inspire the team to play harder.

Throw in the fact that teams now have had years to prepare for playing here, installing schemes, hand signals and other ways to counteract the crowd..........and voila, less of a homefield advantage.

I still saw quite a few plays where the D got off the line quicker to make plays based on crowd noise yesterday.

mrt144

Reaction score
Steve2222":1ytttouy said:
twisted_steel2":1ytttouy said:
Steve2222":1ytttouy said:

Really don't care how much of a fan you say you are. But that post of yours screams fair weathered fan.....not to be confused with me calling you a bandwagoner.

All less than well heeled or financially prudent fans are fair weather. Got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=accEKtBebaU

Steve2222

Reaction score
mrt144":68nsd2xh said:
Steve2222":68nsd2xh said:
twisted_steel2":68nsd2xh said:
Steve2222":68nsd2xh said:

All less than well heeled or financially prudent fans are fair weather. Got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=accEKtBebaU

You lack reading comprehension. If you're taking a hiatus due to financial obligations I find no fault. If you're not going to the game because the Hawks are playing piss poor, that's fair weatheredness. If the Hawks were 6-0 right now I'd have a feeling you'd be going to the game however.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hc2o5leg said:
It's not as simple as Wixley is making it out to be.

It's a two way street, the team inspires the fans to get loud through their ferocious play. The fans in turn inspire the team to play harder.

Throw in the fact that teams now have had years to prepare for playing here, installing schemes, hand signals and other ways to counteract the crowd..........and voila, less of a homefield advantage.

I still saw quite a few plays where the D got off the line quicker to make plays based on crowd noise yesterday.

I've always found the notion that only people who can afford $50 tickets can be loud. If you can buy $200+ tickets you can't be loud. That stereotype is so silly.

The crowd isn't "loud" right now because the fans are at unease with the way the team is playing. My dad was at the game, and has missed probably 4 or 6 Hawks games the past 20 years and said the crowd was plenty loud yesterday. Didn't the Panthers have like 4 false starts and burned a few TOs due to miscommunication?

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
The timing of this is odd:

We won the turnover battle 2-0
Carolina had many false start penalties

We had plenty of home field advantage and still lost.

mrt144

Reaction score
Steve2222":lvv381er said:
You lack reading comprehension. If you're taking a hiatus due to financial obligations I find no fault. If you're not going to the game because the Hawks are playing piss poor, that's fair weatheredness. If the Hawks were 6-0 right now I'd have a feeling you'd be going to the game however.

Read the OP again then snap back at me with reading comprehension jabs. 300 bucks for the worst seats in the house. Unless you're well heeled it's hard to justify spending 300 for entertainment for two people for four hours. Price elasticity is the reason he isn't going, not because the Seahawks aren't turning out top notch football at the moment.

Steve2222

Reaction score
mrt144":1bce22gj said:
Steve2222":1bce22gj said:

Read the OP again then snap back at me with reading comprehension jabs. 300 bucks for the worst seats in the house. Unless you're well heeled it's hard to justify spending 300 for entertainment for two people for four hours. Price elasticity is the reason he isn't going, not because the Seahawks aren't turning out top notch football at the moment.

I understand. As long as he's not going because it's too expensive and not because the Seahawks are 2-4 as opposed to 6-0 there's no issue.

mrt144

Reaction score
Steve2222":2yuvbitq said:
mrt144":2yuvbitq said:
Steve2222":2yuvbitq said:

I understand. As long as he's not going because it's too expensive and not because the Seahawks are 2-4 as opposed to 6-0 there's no issue.

Unless you personally know him and know how to really get his goat, how could there be an issue ;)

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
mrt144":2b2fis27 said:
Steve2222":2b2fis27 said:
mrt144":2b2fis27 said:
Steve2222":2b2fis27 said:

Unless you personally know him and know how to really get his goat, how could there be an issue ;)

I have no idea who this Steve guy is, but wow was he quick to jump all over my fandom and assume things. Bummer he had to come in and crap on my thread. :roll:

Also for you guys commenting about it being loud yesterday, good to hear!! That makes me happy.

@Sgt. and Jammer, yea Wixey is dramatic, but I think it comes with the territory, the business he's in. Dramatics aside, I think there was some truth in there.

I do believe the crowd nowadays versus oldin' days is a little more mellow, a little more refined, I think its more of a 'scene' than it used to be. Which would naturally lead to more of an overall more reserved crowd. Wixey's opinion, which I agree with.

Now don't get me wrong, I love that the Seahawks have gathered tons of new fans, I think its awesome. We've had success, success brings new fans. And besides success, why wouldn't we gather tons of new fans? This team has always been cool, cool name, cool logo, uniforms, cool location, gorgeous stadium. Tons of interesting fun players.

I'm just bitchin' about the crazy ridiculous prices at the stadium and that has potentially mellowed out the 'new' crowd.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Seemed very loud to me. I had ear plugs and decided I needed to use them after a while when we were on D. It's not loud to the level of 2013, but you can't fake that level of excitement and passion. Nothing will match that for a long time.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Steve2222":1uwogkcp said:

Another post questioning one's fandom. :34853_doh:

There are multiple factors why one doesn't go to game and none of them suggest one is a fair weather fan or bandwaggoner. Word of advice - don't judge lest you be judged.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":y633b848 said:
Steve2222":y633b848 said:

Another post questioning one's fandom. :34853_doh:

Another post questioning one's questioning of fandom.