Good news, bad news

mikeak

Reaction score
Bad news: third game in a row we have the same type of mistakes

Bad news: bad coaching decisions, punting, not going for two, not using timeout before 2min etc.

Bad news: I am simply not counting the last TD because Saints were fine letting us March down the field. That means in my mind we were 12pts down. We gave them 14

So we are beating Teddy Bridgewater team with 2pts if we play mistake-free?????

getnasty

Reaction score
mikeak":110wb5gf said:

Bad news: bad coaching decisions, punting, not going for two, not using timeout before 2min etc.

Bad news: I am simply not counting the last TD because Saints were fine letting us March down the field. That means in my mind we were 12pts down. We gave them 14

Al Woods penalty was just as bad as the punt return and fumble return. The team is off the field in great field position if he doesn't line up over the center.

John63

Reaction score
nanomoz":shqftqyv said:
John63":shqftqyv said:
nanomoz":shqftqyv said:
Russo's stats look terrific. He missed a lot of throws in the second and early third that he usually makes. Probably the rain.

Ahh Russo isna sports writer. Who are you talking about.

Russ. I'm just going to disable autocorrect on my phone. It's worse than effing useless.

Okay now that we established that. Okay he missed a few, but he was far from the reason we lost. Fyi all qbs miss some.

John63

Reaction score
mikeak":19574oz1 said:

Hmm well since we can play they I dont count game, I am not counting their last score as they did not need it.

mikeak

Reaction score
Fair enough. Still way to close against Bridgewater that was not efficient at moving the ball

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I counted 7 "legit points" the Saints scored that you can hang on the defence that wasn't due to a mistake:

Punt return TD - 7 points, fumble return - 7 points, penalty on Woods - 7 points, desperation 4th down gamble in 4th setting up the Saints in the score zone - 7 points.

With Bridgewater in the game, the key was to make the Saints earn every point on offence and make him win the game. No points off turnovers and special teams. Instead the exact opposite happened.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The great news is that Wilson played a great game in the rain. He has had some awful, awful games in the rain. Enough to where I expect him to struggle if it is wet.

I also think that giving up on Carson is a mistake. In the games he fumbled, it has been wet. He struggles to keep the ball when it is wet. But we struggle to win games when we don't have him. So we need to find a way to make it work, and when it is wet - we need to be aware that we need to limit his touches.

The bad news is that our defense is as bad as I feared. We lost to a backup QB. In our own home.

Not only is the pass rush not there, but I am confused what is going on with our LBs.

Even so, we would have lost to the Saints with a healthy Drew Brees so it probably evens out that we lost to them anyway.

raisethe3

Reaction score
DK Metcalf had 2 catches for 67 yards, but why not feed him the ball? Is it because he's a rookie?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chawker":qdtv4qpf said:
They got us on two plays, the kick return and Carson fumble. The players learn more from loss then a win. Frankly I'm glad we had a bad day, it'll keep the player more focused for the rest of the year.

- and lining up over the center on a missed FG which led to a TD
- and getting stuffed on 3rd and 1 AND 4th and 1
- and giving up a SEVEN minute TD drive to NO after halftime when we supposedly were fresh and made adjustments?
- and not calling a TO before a 45 yard pass play to DK to end the half
- and missing a bazillion tackles making Kamara look like the 2nd coming of Walter Payton
- and Ansah and Clowney accounting for all of one tackle and no sacks
- and our defensive backfield looking like hot garbage

Did I miss anything? I mean, this loss wasn't as bad as the Rams loss at home two years ago, but it's close for me. Allowing another team to come in to the Clink with a backup QB, and push us around and make dozens of stupid mistakes.

Not acceptable. It's just not.

NJlargent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":141pqe91 said:
The great news is that Wilson played a great game in the rain. He has had some awful, awful games in the rain. Enough to where I expect him to struggle if it is wet.

I also think that giving up on Carson is a mistake. In the games he fumbled, it has been wet. He struggles to keep the ball when it is wet. But we struggle to win games when we don't have him. So we need to find a way to make it work, and when it is wet - we need to be aware that we need to limit his touches.

The bad news is that our defense is as bad as I feared. We lost to a backup QB. In our own home.

Not only is the pass rush not there, but I am confused what is going on with our LBs.

Even so, we would have lost to the Saints with a healthy Drew Brees so it probably evens out that we lost to them anyway.

I disagree with the giving up on Carson. He should be benched for a couple of games to send a message to the rest of the team that if you make enough mistakes you are going to sit. I think you would agree, after reading your posts, that the Hawks are at best this year divisional round blowout material. Carson running like Jim Brown isn't getting us past the divisional round with the defense we have anyway. We need to get some swagger back, and I do not think any of the backups will do any better, but that's not the point. At some point, the coach needs to steer the ship in a different direction to adjust to the conditions.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
The Bad news is the O line was terrible again, and the Bad news is the revered D line was pretty average :(
Kinda glad we lost, I hate getting pushed up and down the field like punks and then winning somehow.
Cable's ghost still haunting the Hawks?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2k3abdud said:
.........I also think that giving up on Carson is a mistake. In the games he fumbled, it has been wet. He struggles to keep the ball when it is wet.........
It was 89 degrees and not a cloud in the sky in pissburgh a week a go Sunday and he fumbled once to set up a stealer TD

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's one game, every team has a crap sammich, even the Pats. On to next week. I'm sure all the Debbie's are pretty happy today because they get to be "right" about the Hawks :?