Golden Tate

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I recall some where around mid season Prime time said that our offense needed receivers like we have that could break tackles because our route trees are so easy to defend. He and Mike Irvin were saying our pass play designs were too predictable and routes were easy to defend and that's why our biggest plays come on broken ones.
I'd like to keep Golden, Tate, Kearse & Harvin if we can and add a tall red zone threat through the draft and have the brain trust work on our route designes we should be better than last season.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I like Tate and wish he could stay for much cheaper. I don't feel like if we let him walk and drafted a WR early that we couldn't replace his productions with Baldwin and Kearse.
$2M- Baldwin @ 2nd round RFA tender
$570k- Kearse last yer of contract is RFA next season
$1.3M- Salary of 1st rd WR
$650K- Salary of2nd round WR

WR is a position that a QB can make a player look much better than they are, I think RW makes Tate better than he really is, I am confident that with a healthy Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse as our top 3 WR's we would get as good or better production we did this year without a healthy Harvin and Rice. If we invest in a Talented rookie WR they wll have an opportunity right away to get plenty of touches and even bringing ina few late round or UDFA WR's will be given a shout to stick around.

I think Tate has maxed out and will only really be what his is where a guy like Kearse could end up be a much more effictive WR for us, and this rookie class is soo deep we could add a Sidney Rice type WR who can actually stay healthy. no point in payign both Baldwin adn Tate and pushing Kearse down the roster. Next man up? let Tate walk.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Wide receiver Golden Tate is one of the bigger names that will hit unrestricted free agency for the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks next week. General manager John Schneider mentioned Tate and defensive end Michael Bennett as the highest priorities for the team to re-sign among their own free agents at the NFL combine.

But while Bennett appears to be in contact with the team, Tate hasn’t heard much as of yet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... hawks-yet/

getnasty

Reaction score
We need Tate as long as it doesn't break the bank, if I had a choice I think i'd take Golden over Baldwin as far as the future goes. Hopefully we'll see a healthy group of WR's this year, Golden would far a lot better seeing the number 2 corner rather then the number 1's. With him being being a Russell BFF, a great punt returner, being very durable and one he'll of a WR we need to pay this man his money

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1npgybiv said:
I think Tate has maxed out and will only really be what his is where a guy like Kearse could end up be a much more effictive WR for us, and this rookie class is soo deep we could add a Sidney Rice type WR who can actually stay healthy. no point in payign both Baldwin adn Tate and pushing Kearse down the roster. Next man up? let Tate walk.

This is my basically my default position, then I think about him being a useful punt returner and I watch that facemask catch against the Falcons and I start to lean towards keeping him again.

A

Anonymous

I re-watched the Sound FX of the SB yesterday. I was taken by the scene in the second half where Russ was talking to Golden about getting the first, first, that was the most important thing, then try to wiggle around for more. You even hear Russ scream at him to get the first before the whistle blew on the previous play.

This tells me that even with all the preparation (and being up by 3 1/2 scores in the 3rd qtr of the Super Bowl) Wilson felt the need to adjust Tate's game, during the game. Most of this is just Russ doing the "Russ" thing, but it speaks to Golden needing a bit of a mental adjustment, from individual efforts he is trying to accomplish, back to team efforts.

This is not an indictment of Tate, but rather a look into how he, regardless of the team goals, wants to stand out and make something happen. I really like that about him because I am that kind of person. Learn the system and the rules, then see how you can push the envelope to exceed expectations. You can't always be successful at it, but at least you are putting forth the effort to attempt to do so, instead of just clocking in and out and picking up the paycheck.

Tate needs to stay. I say the FO get's it done.

chihawk

Reaction score
bigwrm":26j4hj8i said:
jlwaters1":26j4hj8i said:
Macklin just got 6 - (for comparison's sake.) 3.5 million guaranteed.

Maclin tore his acl and didn't play at all last year. Can't really compare his contract to what Golden might get.

Yeah, I don't know how much his injury impacted the contract numbers, but I would probably take a healthy Maclin over Tate.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Maclin> Tate

Maclin is a great Wr and is/was one of the fastest legit deep threat wr's in the game 4.48 (40) but plays much faster. I'd say he is similar to Mike Wallace who just got a 5y 60 mil deal.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1pzbfmud said:
Yeah my best scenario contract for him would be a 3 yr/16 million contract with 10 mil guaranteed.

Cap hits of:

Yr 1, 4.33/3.33 guaranteed
Yr 2, 5.33/3.33 guaranteed
Yr 3, 6.33/3.33 guaranteed

And he'll won't be locked down long term, and gives him a chance to earn a bigger contract while he's still in his prime considering he's not getting big time touches other WRs get and he's compact like an RB, so he'll last forever like Steve Smith.

Fair for both sides and Tate would still be taking a discount as his value per year is closer to 6 mil per than 5 mil per.

Sounds about right. The only things I'd change is giving him 4 years instead of 3 (possibly 5, he's young), and frontloading the contract a bit. We'll have the room for his contract and tapering it down won't interfere with Thomas, Wilson and Sherman contracts. Also it helps even out Harvin's contract going up.

Seahawk4lyfe

Reaction score
My thing with tate is, he draws a lot of attention. He's not a Julio or a aj but he has the ability to break something. Without Percy he was the way making room for Baldwin or Kearse. 2 Wrs that I love But don't think either can handle a #1 Wr position. If rice and Percy played all season. And they moved tate to the slot. He would probably put up crazy numbers because he would be getting all the slack, instead of being the guy to create the slack.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter how much his per year salary is because of his guaranteed money is something we could structure so he could be cut after year 2 or 3 without major cap implications. With a back loaded salary he will have to be cut out restructured befor year 5 but get affordable years with a contract like this.
5 year 35 mil with 10 mil bonus (yr 1 and 2 salaries guaranteed makes 15 mil total guarentee) if Hartline got 5y 30 mil 12.5mil guarenteed Tate should get a tiny bit more.

Year 1: Salary 2 mil - bonus 2 mil - cap hit 4 mil
Year 2: Salary 3 mil- bonus 2 mil - cap hit 5 mil (if cut before yr 2 would be 8 mil dead money)
Year 3: salary 4 mil - bonus 2 mil - cap hit 6 mil (if cut before yr 3 would be 6 mil dead money no cap savings)
Year 4: salary 7 mil - bonus 2 mil - cap hit 9 mil (if cut befor yr 4 would be 4 mil dead money but 5 mil cap savings)
Year 5: salary 9 mil - bonus 2 mil - cap hit 11 mil (if cut befit yr 5 would be 2.5 mil dead money but 7.5 mil cap savings)

This is really more of a 3 year 16.5 mil deal. Maybe pay Tate 9 mil cap hit in yr 4 if the cap has risen, he has stayed healthy and Harvin is gone or restructured by then. Otherwise e cut him and save 5 mil cap.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":wne4nmob said:
I re-watched the Sound FX of the SB yesterday. I was taken by the scene in the second half where Russ was talking to Golden about getting the first, first, that was the most important thing, then try to wiggle around for more. You even hear Russ scream at him to get the first before the whistle blew on the previous play.

In a much more critical situation Tate did the same thing on the Hawk possession after the Kam pic in the NFC title game. He caught a slant for the first down but then lost it looking for extra yards. One of our linemen ended up pushing him forward. I definitely want Tate back though in case it sounds like I don't

jblaze

Reaction score
I think Tate ends up around 5m/yr. He does have a big ego so he will probably believe he deserves more and will go to market and come back once he realizes he's not getting 6+ anywhere else.

He's one guy I don't mind going to market to see what others are looking for. There's already a precedent set for #2's from last years and this year deals already. His number is set, 5m, take it or leave it.

Bennett on the other hand I wouldn't let go to market. There might be someone out there willing to give him 9+ when we want to give him 7-8m. I think he'll go where the money is more than Tate.

Cartire

Reaction score
When it comes to receivers, I look at drop rate and YAC. Tate is quality on both. Losing him isn't the end of the world. But it is a loss.

jblaze

Reaction score
Tate is also beast mode at the WR position. He fits our philosophy well.

Between Lynch, Tate and Harvin we're one of the more difficult offenses to tackle due to our physicality.

JMR

Reaction score
Wenhawk":37tpzsgr said:
It doesn't really matter how much his per year salary is because of his guaranteed money is something we could structure so he could be cut after year 2 or 3 without major cap implications. With a back loaded salary he will have to be cut out restructured befor year 5 but get affordable years with a contract like this.
5 year 35 mil with 10 mil bonus (yr 1 and 2 salaries guaranteed makes 15 mil total guarentee) if Hartline got 5y 30 mil 12.5mil guarenteed Tate should get a tiny bit more.

Year 1: Salary 2 mil - bonus 2 mil - cap hit 4 mil
Year 2: Salary 3 mil- bonus 2 mil - cap hit 5 mil (if cut before yr 2 would be 8 mil dead money)
Year 3: salary 4 mil - bonus 2 mil - cap hit 6 mil (if cut before yr 3 would be 6 mil dead money no cap savings)
Year 4: salary 7 mil - bonus 2 mil - cap hit 9 mil (if cut befor yr 4 would be 4 mil dead money but 5 mil cap savings)
Year 5: salary 9 mil - bonus 2 mil - cap hit 11 mil (if cut befit yr 5 would be 2.5 mil dead money but 7.5 mil cap savings)

This is really more of a 3 year 16.5 mil deal. Maybe pay Tate 9 mil cap hit in yr 4 if the cap has risen, he has stayed healthy and Harvin is gone or restructured by then. Otherwise e cut him and save 5 mil cap.

Not totally sure but I think the jump in pay from year 3 to year 4 violates the 30% rule.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I prefer Baldwin. I think he does a better job at getting separation, and we can probably keep him for a second round tender. I also think he pairs better with Kearse (SE) and Harvin (slot).

Also, this draft is loaded with receivers. There will be guys with All-Pro potential available in the second round.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3klqdm6n said:
I prefer Baldwin. I think he does a better job at getting separation, and we can probably keep him for a second round tender. I also think he pairs better with Kearse (SE) and Harvin (slot).

Also, this draft is loaded with receivers. There will be guys with All-Pro potential available in the second round.

Keeping Baldwin is pretty much a slam dunk, so why not work on retaining Tate as well? Baldwin is a wirey workhorse that runs the best routes and has good hands, but Tate has a certain 'it' factor than none if our other WR's have.

Baldwin has peaked, IMO, wheras Tate is still very much on an upward tragectory. When you combine that with being tough, elusive and durable, it's obvious why the Hawks have made re-signing him a priority.

Don't get so preoccupied with your personal favorites that you can't remain objective.

Cartire

Reaction score
Tate has this acrobatic type way with him. Hes small for a wideout, yet acrobatic enough to jump real high, change direction quickly, and twist in ways thats almost unnatural.
I mean, he had the exact same TD against the rams in 2 different games. He can track the ball and make sure he is the highpoint anywhere on the the play. He may not catch them all, but he also seems to have a knack for never getting picked off on.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. He plays "big", if that makes any sense. Shoot, look at a guy like Steve Smith in Carolina, talk about a short dude who goes up and gets it. Tate fights for the ball, high points it well etc.
Baldwin, same thing.