Golden Tate

CANHawk

Reaction score
Tate has gotten exponentially better year after year after year. 2014 Tate WILL be better than 2013 Tate and 2015 Tate WILL be better than 2014 Tate. Tate was a huge part of our offense last year, he was our leading receiver and 100 yards and a couple steps away from being our first 1,000 yard receiver in... forever. He hasn't done anything to prove that he's not worth the money. Granted, there's a possibility he might not get it here, but that's more to do with economics than with what he deserves.

Going forward, I personally think he's every bit as important as any other player on offense not named Russell. Tate plays balls out.

bigwrm

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3esvn5mo said:
Macklin just got 6 - (for comparison's sake.) 3.5 million guaranteed.

Maclin tore his acl and didn't play at all last year. Can't really compare his contract to what Golden might get.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Tate is a BOSS. The intangible that I oddly hear little about from other Seahawk fans is his tenacity and how clutch he is. Over the last 2 seasons, he has saved countless games for the Hawks with big plays exactly when they were needed.

He puts his body on the line on every play, and hits defenders like Kam Chancellor Lite. He plays with extreme passion and fire, and I've seen him elevate his team mates.

As someone else said, he really really reminds me of Hines Ward - although he plays legal football unlike Hines who was known for dirty play.

No way Seattle lets him walk. John Clayton said we'll sign him for $6m/yr at the beginning of the season. I think that's accurate and it will happen.

CANHawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":2bbs4rrn said:
Tate is a BOSS. The intangible that I oddly hear little about from other Seahawk fans is his tenacity and how clutch he is. Over the last 2 seasons, he has saved countless games for the Hawks with big plays exactly when they were needed.

He puts his body on the line on every play, and hits defenders like Kam Chancellor Lite. He plays with extreme passion and fire, and I've seen him elevate his team mates.

As someone else said, he really really reminds me of Hines Ward - although he plays legal football unlike Hines who was known for dirty play.

No way Seattle lets him walk. John Clayton said we'll sign him for $6m/yr at the beginning of the season. I think that's accurate and it will happen.
Word. :common039:

He had kind of a down playoff compared to the regular season, and that might help get him at a little cheaper price, but Tate is a huge reason why we are what we are.

plyka

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":2kip86lf said:
I really think that if Tate asks for more than 4 per year we should let him walk, many people want him back because he is part of the beginning era of Pete Carroll but I think he is not vital to our offense. I agree that his value rises with the fact that he can also do punt returns but we have to look at how he affects out offense. There was countless times during a game when Tate would dissapear because corners would shut him out and if you look back at the pivotal moments in the season it was always Baldwin and Kearse coming out big and not Tate. I understand that he's a great guy and that he means a lot to the team but we will find ourselves in trouble if we start to over pay for our players. I would argue that we give him a contract between 3-4 per year and let him decide if he wants to get 4.5-5 on te market or stay in Seattle. If he leaves we can use that extra 5 to extend Thomas or Sherman. Tell me what ya feel about Tate?

All great points. The absolute salary cap hell that this team can be thrown into if the front office started allowing emotions to override reason! It would not be pretty. I actually heard the dummy Danny O'Niel on the radio today, he claimed that the HAwks should pay Tate $8m per year, lol. It was one of the craziest things I've ever heard, and it all of a sudden hit me: this is why it's tought to have a great organization. Danny O'Niel is not stupid (forget that i called him a dummy above), he is average when it comes to smarts. So how can this average guy think it's good to pay Tate $8m per year for 4-5 years?

What would $8m per year mean for a WR? Well, that would put him in the 10-15 of the highest paid WRs in the league. Does anyone in their right mind believe that Tate is a top 10 or 15 WR in this league? He is not even a #1 WR. There are 32 teams in the league. ON this team it can be argued that he is currently the 3rd or even 4th best WR. Yet this man with average intelligence wants to pay him top 15 money, not only #1 WR money, but the top half of #1 WR money.

Why? Because he is a homer, because he loves Tate, because he is allowing emotions to cloud his judgement. Even if Danny O'Niel was a smart man, he could easily fall into this trap of allowing emotions to cloud judgement. You could always find ways to justify things, emotions allow you to do that.

Tate is a 4m per year type player. Very good #3 WR on a good team, perhaps #2 on an average team. The correct choice in this situation would be to go out looking for a WR in the draft. Find a player to compliment the other WRs on this team. You need that big body athletic freak of a WR. There are tons in this draft. Make it happen.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yeah my best scenario contract for him would be a 3 yr/16 million contract with 10 mil guaranteed.

Cap hits of:

Yr 1, 4.33/3.33 guaranteed
Yr 2, 5.33/3.33 guaranteed
Yr 3, 6.33/3.33 guaranteed

And he'll won't be locked down long term, and gives him a chance to earn a bigger contract while he's still in his prime considering he's not getting big time touches other WRs get and he's compact like an RB, so he'll last forever like Steve Smith.

Fair for both sides and Tate would still be taking a discount as his value per year is closer to 6 mil per than 5 mil per.

plyka

Reaction score
Throwdown":17piso4d said:
Riley Cooper just got 5 mil a year, you honestly don't think he's better than Golden do you?

There are a few things wrong with this thought process. You can't justify a price for someone by looking at 1 other contract in the league. Since the Bears made the horrible choice of paying Cutler $20m per year, do you then pay another mediocre QB $20m per year because the Bears did it? Hey, that Kolb is average, but the Bears paid $20m per year for an average QB, and Kolb is average, so we should pay $20m per year for Kolb. Doesn't make any sense. If Phili made a mistake by signing a bad contract, you celebrate their idiocy, you don't follow them down the road.

Secondly, I think if you werent a Seahawk fan, you would probably put Riley Cooper above Tate as far as WRs go. I think Golden Tate was rated the 45th most important free agent this year by NFL.com. It doesn't mean they are right, but they are far more objective than you or I, and they certainly don't think much of Golden to place him at #45. BTW, I think Bennett was #12 and Thurmond was in the 20's.

jblaze

Reaction score
The market is being set for #2's already so he's being set by that curve and it hurts him. Cooper's deal was very team friendly because they could walk away after the second year or if he does well, hold him to it for 5 years total. Maclin is on a one year prove it contract via incentives.

There's just not proving to be a huge market for these guys who are semi-replaceable given the monster WR draft and the CBA rookie contracts which are peanuts.

I wouldn't pay him 5m. 4-4.5m is his market at this point and 4 years.

This doesn't end soon however, he tests the market and comes back in 3-4 weeks and signs.

JMR

Reaction score
The Seahawks were the run-heaviest team in the NFL this season. Tate caught 64 for 898 and 5 TDs. He also blocks very well and returns punts.

The cap is going up. Was $120 mill this year and will be $133 mill in '14, and I saw on ESPN.com today that it's expected to be over $150 mill by '16. By cutting Rice and Red, we've made some room to do what seems like a splurge on guys like Tate and Bennett, but by the time we get to 2016/17, the contracts will not seem as rich as they will when inked this off-season. We can afford to do it. And if Tate comes back for a price that is in the top 15 in the league, it doesn't matter if he isn't a top 15 WR. That's just not how it works. The freshest contracts will be the priciest when you're talking about 60+ catch WRs who are playmakers.

Tate is also a good insurance policy for Harvin. Percy is more explosive but obviously Tate can be counted on for big plays and is durable. I don't know how much money that's worth, but it's more than $0. Continuity in the passing game is also worth something when you're talking about a rising 3rd year QB.

Now all that said, when you get down to it I think Tate is a role player on this team. Losing him doesn't submarine our SB chances, but if he truly is the next Hines Ward then that's a guy that is going to help you win and not easily replaced. I hope they figure it out and bring him back.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I have a feeling Benett, Tate, Baldwin will all get signed. Zach, Breno and Chris Clemons may all be iffy though, either restructure or released. We need to clear out some cap room for next year to keep the core people in defense. I also think WT3 may also test free agency. These are all my own guess work. For draft needs, I think we will try to look for OLine in general and whoever has the traits and then probably train them to position needs.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
seahawks08":2a1xyyxl said:
I have a feeling Benett, Tate, Baldwin will all get signed. Zach, Breno and Chris Clemons may all be iffy though, either restructure or released. We need to clear out some cap room for next year to keep the core people in defense. I also think WT3 may also test free agency. These are all my own guess work. For draft needs, I think we will try to look for OLine in general and whoever has the traits and then probably train them to position needs.

Breno is an unrestricted free agent, so there won't be any restructure or release there. Unfortunately I doubt we keep him. WT III is certainly gone.

As to the OP, Tate is clearly going to be able to get more than $4 mil per year. Honestly I think that his market value is closer to $6 mil and that if his agent hasn't talked him out of giving us some level of hometown discount that he'll sign for closer to $5 mil here.

RussWils3

Reaction score
Throwdown":1y8qztlj said:
Riley Cooper just got 5 mil a year, you honestly don't think he's better than Golden do you?

I definitely do, did you watch cooper this past year?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RussWils3":1es65oag said:
Yes, in several games...Did you?

MV5BMTkxMzgwMDc3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQwODIzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

Penman96

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the front office are seeing Tate as a "lesser Harvin" type of player, and what they really want is big target playing with Harvin. This is where Cooper excelled over Tate, he's a good, tall red zone target. There are perhaps draft picks or other FA's that could fill the spot the team needs if they think Tate is redundant.

That being said I hope they keep Tate, he just seems like one of our boys and I like his commitment.

drrew

Reaction score
plyka":16zcnm47 said:
ON this team it can be argued that he is currently the 3rd or even 4th best WR.

Nobody making an honest argument can make that claim and that type of hyperbole goes a long way to invalidate the rest of the argument.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
I think they can. Harvin is clearly better and I think so is Baldwin. That makes him the 3rd best receiver. They draft a big kid like Coleman or Matthews, he's the 4th best by next year at this time

Anthony!

Reaction score
I think part of the issue when comparing our Wr is they are all a little different, and most of you have forgotten about Kearse.

Harvin is the most explosive, but we really have no way of knowing if he can stay healthy. Doug is a possession receiver, Kearse is our big play, big wr, down the field guy who is starting to be able to handle almost any route and role, and Tate is our combo guy who brings a little bit of all of them to the table and returns punts. Also remember he is very close to Rw and has already said he would take less to stay in Seattle. Also I fully expect we will throw the ball a little more next year then we did this year. Not saying we are going to throw it 30-40 a game but I think instead of 20-25 it will be 25-30. Also we did just pick up that big Wr from the CFL, and we also have Lockett who is also a major ST player. Also Walters, who my guess will be if we keep Tate will be gone with Matthews the 6'5" guy being here.

According to ESPN these are our Wr and as you can see there are only 3 over 6 foot. I see Matthews as another Boldin which we can use. SO given all of this I see Tate as a must sign as long as he is 5 or less mil a year which I think he will be.

89 Doug Baldwin WR 25 5-10 189 4 Stanford
-- Phil Bates WR 24 6-1 220 1 Ohio U.
-- Arceto Clark WR 24 5-10 180 1 Mississippi State
11 Percy Harvin WR 25 5-11 184 6 Florida
15 Jermaine Kearse WR 24 6-1 209 3 Washington
83 Ricardo Lockette WR 27 6-2 211 2 Fort Valley State
-- Chris Matthews WR 24 6-5 218 R Kentucky
81 Golden Tate WR 25 5-10 202 5 Notre Dame
19 Bryan Walters WR 26 6-0 190 5 Cornell

Throwdown

Reaction score
RussWils3":3e8x74gz said:
Throwdown":3e8x74gz said:

Yeah, and I saw nothing that tells me Racist Riley is better in any way shape or form than Tate.

Tate brings supreme PR abilities, a better receiver with some serious big plays waiting to happen, a better blocker, and better all around human being.

Tate deserves more money than Cooper.

themunn

Reaction score
RussWils3":30f220ip said:
Throwdown":30f220ip said:

haha

Just watch a comparison of 2013 highlights

first cooper beating up on Oakland, Tampa Bay, Green Bay and Detroit

[youtube]iR8qh5VAEA[/youtube]

impressive, I know

Now, Tate

[youtube]UdhyQq4Ye_o[/youtube]

within 4 seconds a more impressive play than any of coopers, and then it's just 6 minutes of tackles after tackles being broken, and he's going up against number 1 cornerbacks like Peterson, Jenkins while Cooper is abusing rookies while Jackson takes the attention of the likes of Revis