GOAT Seahawks Quarterback

Maulbert

Reaction score
It is Wilson. There wouldn’t even be a debate, if there weren’t so many who are angry about him.
Seriously. I've grown to dislike Wilson a lot in the last year, but it's not a competition. He shredded all the numbers of Krieg and Hasselbeck. I love Geno and his story, but he needs more than one, or even a couple, good seasons to be in the discussion. Until anyone wins 2 Super Bowls, there is no other answer than Wilson. And no, I'm not a fanboy, and I wouldn't want him back.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It’s crazy this has gone for 6 pages when there is only one obvious answer. The guy with the most passing yards, most TDS, most SB rings, most playoff wins. It’s not even worth discussing. It’s like NE fans wondering about their GOAT QB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
We have to get into the different eras part when this comes up
I mean with all the rules favoring offenses/QBs in the Me3 era
it has to be a factor for play and numbers.
Would Moon.Krieg and Hass thrive in the Me3 era?ABSOLUTELY!
Would Me3 thrive in their eras?I'm lmao thinking of it.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
You can’t use different eras excuses. Not for winning percentage and SBs. Maybe for inflated passing stats but even that’s marginal when comparing to Hass.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Seriously. I've grown to dislike Wilson a lot in the last year, but it's not a competition. He shredded all the numbers of Krieg and Hasselbeck. I love Geno and his story, but he needs more than one, or even a couple, good seasons to be in the discussion. Until anyone wins 2 Super Bowls, there is no other answer than Wilson. And no, I'm not a fanboy, and I wouldn't want him back.

1. Wilson ( rough deal but SB winner )
2.Hasselbeck ( loved #8 period)
3. Zorn? ( First QB in franchise history)
4. Geno (need a body of work)

I know I didn't mention Kreig , and I like Kreig for the most part. When he was on
he was going to kill you.

Torc

Reaction score
It’s crazy this has gone for 6 pages when there is only one obvious answer. The guy with the most passing yards, most TDS, most SB rings, most playoff wins. It’s not even worth discussing. It’s like NE fans wondering about their GOAT QB.
Clearly it's worth discussing, because we don't have a consensus. 🤪

I give Wilson very little credit for the super bowl ring. The Seahawks defense outscored the most prolific offense of all time in SB48, not to mention a special teams TD. Wilson was mostly irrelevant to the win. There are 4 Super Bowls since 2000 that don't have an offensive player (usually the QB) as the MVP, and SB 48 was one of them. Then he threw the losing interception in SB49. For four of his 10 years with the Seahawks, the team had the number one defense in the league. Those same four years, the Seahawks were either the #1 or #2 rushing offense. Clearly Russ was part of that rushing attack, but one reason it was so effective is that we had an arguably Hall of Fame worthy RB behind him. He also had some of the scrappiest and underrated receivers ever to fight for a contested catch.

None of our other QBs have had nearly the support that Wilson had here. (You could argue for Hass, with an MVP RB and two HoFers on the O-Line. But his defense was nowhere close, and it wasn't as sustained.)

You mention the Patriots.....Brady was on some really marginal teams - and took them to Super Bowls. With two different teams. Wilson doesn't hold a candle to Brady.

It might sound like I don't like Wilson. I do. He throws one of the prettiest deep balls I've ever seen. And I've never seen a QB squirt out of sure tackles as often as him. There are few QBs that I'd rather have at the end of a game, down by a score, with time running out. One of his major strengths is how he thrives on pressure. On the flip side of that, the offense he ran was often a major part of the reason that he needed to come back in the 4th quarter. I've seen at least one Hall of Fame QB (Kurt Warner) point out how ineffectively Wilson reads defenses, and even compare the Seahawks offense under Geno to show how the same offense was run more effectively.

schkoot

Reaction score
You can’t use different eras excuses. Not for winning percentage and SBs. Maybe for inflated passing stats but even that’s marginal when comparing to Hass.
Actually I think you can.

Ask yourself which mishmash unit is more successful over all (playing same-era-contemporaries):

The Knox era offense + LOB era defense

or

The Wilson era offense + Knox era Seahawks defense.

The answer ALWAYS lies with whatever combo has the LOB. They were just THAT good.

IMHO, the Krieg/Largent/CW/JLW Hawks would probably win the SB at least once with the LOB and the Wilson era Hawks would probably make it to a conference championship (maybe) once. Kinda like they did playing with their respective opposite units in reality.

keasley45

Reaction score
Do you think the NFL should have a rule and penalties for a QB not playing the position as it's supposed to be played?

So, like "Seattle Penalty, 10 yards and loss of first down for "Not playing the position as it's supposed to be played"
No. There should be free access to coaches tape and all-22 film so that folks could get a better appreciation for what's actually going on on the field.

That way, there might be a more nuanced understanding of the game, rather than glamming onto stats to evaluate player performance. Or getting into circular arguments around who was the best this or that.

By statistical analysis, Sean Alexander was the best RB we ever had. He put up more yards, scored more TDs and was a more obvious statistical factor in games while he was here. Was he the best RB? That was the debate for years around here. But if you took the stats blinders off and evaluates him by his ability to block, elusiveness, toughness, hands, etc. He might be 3rd or 4th on the list. He, like Wilson has shown, benefited immensely from the team assembled around him and the system within which he played. Warner, Lynch and Watters (in his prime) and Warren would have flourished in Holmgrens offense and behind an all-world o-line, without a doubt. So by a pure ability perspective is Alexander the best? Nope.

Kreig, Hass, Moon in their primes would have flourished in Pete's system. No doubt. To what degree? Who knows.

But if they all could have succeeded in Russ's system and Russ struggles to play outside any other one than the one his coach reduced the playbook to, how much better is he from a qb'ing perspective?

Is Russ a better QB than Aikman because he has better stats? Take away the Superbowls and compare Russ's stats to Aikmans. By that measure, he's vastly superior. In reality, Aikmans stats are closer to Mudbones than they are to Wilson's. Aikman had a slightly better completion %, Krieg had a better TD percentage, and they were close on INT %. But Aikman played on vastly superior teams. Hass stacks up well to Aikman too, basically equivalent and sometimes better in key statistical areas.

Is Hass better?

Back to Russ - if its now been pretty much proven that he is an NFL QB who cant read NFL defenses... and that THAT shortcoming had as much to do in hindsight with our failures than his talent did with our success... Like i said, it's a little silly.

Facts - We had a few great QBs who played here for a while. They were all gifted in their own ways. Some were better at X, some were better at Y. Some might have performed better under more favorable circumstances. Only one had a coach who tailored an entire team around his very unique ability. How that can just be dismissed... just as silly as saying Russ is the best because he has a ring. Had the Seahawks won it all in 83, Krieg would have been more instrumental in that achievement than Russ was in our championship. And given the complexity of the offense, you could easily say that Hass was more instrumental to the team's success in what should have been our first Lombardi in 2005.

Superior talent. Unbelievably gifted. You can't deny Russ was the best player at the spot. Best 'QB' ? At a point, its a silly question unless one simply NEEDS to rank the players who have played here.

Last edited:

Palmegranite

Reaction score
OK, let's stop that nonsense about Russ not reading defenses.

He had the innate ability to not only read defences, but make them look like a high school defence with a fake, juke, and either gain yards with his feet, a hand-off, or unload a throw for massive yards. Oh, he read defences alright, but he read them right up to the exact moment that he burned them.

"10 yard penalty for making the defence look ridiculous " Again, why try to shoehorn the player into your preconceived notion of a modern NFL QB?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Our "Mount Rushmore" of Seahawks quarterbacks would appear to be:
Hasselbeck
Zorn
Krieg
Wilson

My question to all of you is (?)

At what point in his career does Russ become the Seahawks "greatest" quarterback ?
Is he already there ?
Must he finish his career in Seattle ?
Does he need another ring ?
If not, what must he still do in Seattle to become GOAT ?

There is no wrong answer here. I am just curious as to the opinions of .NETters :snack:

Russ is the only QB that should be on Mt. Rushmore. The others are just above average players we perceive to be great as our standards were low.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
This discussion is way too hypothetical, we won our ring because PC was able to use his resources to build a legendary defense and allow the offensive line to languish because we had Russell Wilson. Matt would not have survived in those conditions.

Hass is a more complete QB and Wilson is not. I can't see putting a limited player over one that isn't on our Mt. Rushmore.

Last edited:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I swear some of you have forgotten 2012-2015 Russ. He made defenses look foolish with his escapability. And his accuracy was off the chart.

You’ve also clearly forgotten Hass’s boneheaded interceptions, Krieg’s boneheaded fumbles and Zorns limited accuracy.

Recency bias is real.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I swear some of you have forgotten 2012-2015 Russ. He made defenses look foolish with his escapability. And his accuracy was off the chart.

You’ve also clearly forgotten Hass’s boneheaded interceptions, Krieg’s boneheaded fumbles and Zorns limited accuracy.

Recency bias is real.
IMHO RW has never been very good at reading defenses. If his first read is open he does a good job of hitting it. If not then the "reading the defense" part of the play is over. This is the point where RW enters joystick video game mode. He hits the first rusher (and sometimes second, third, etc.,) with his killer spin move, heads to a sideline, and throws a pass you would swear he was throwing away only to have Doug Baldwin or Tyler Lockett toe-tap it. Honestly, RW belongs in the same conversation as Fran Tarkenton when it comes to the most elusive QBs in NFL history. He was also one of the most fun to watch.

I honestly think a big part of his problem in Denver is the erosion of his athletic ability, which has impacted his escapability. His killer spin move is now just average. Combine this with the lack of a receiver he has chemistry with (e.g., Tyler Lockett) and now he's an older, less athletic QB who still can't move past his first read.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Since the OP's question is about the greatest of all time, imagine an offensive line with the greatest Seahawk OL players. Then who would you want as the QB? A 5'10 and 5/8 Russell Wilson or a 6'4 QB Matt Hasselbeck?

Now if the option is the other way, the worst offensive line of all time, I'd be going with a young Russ.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Way to overlook his being a locker room cancer and total douche canoe of a teammate. Let lenscrafters know when your monocle needs replacing.

He didnt lose the locker room to the dynasty team, Pete did. Dont forget that.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Anyone actually debating that Russ isn't the best QB in team history is either an idiot or a racist. Sometimes both. Wilson is #1 in every stat category except fumbles, picks, and losses. He's the best. Period.
"Racist" is an ugly-ass word that shouldn't be used so casually. Be better.

Latest posts