Geno and the Super Bowl

BASF

Reaction score
Not sure why everyone is bringing Russ up now in this Geno thread, but I will just leave you with this.
Because the marks can not let him go.

As far as Geno, he can take us to the Super Bowl. Whether or not he can win it is entirely up to the team. It is very disheartening how so many fans have been programmed by the NFL that the only thing that really matters on a football field is the quarterback. I miss actual football, when the league was not so slanted toward quarterbacks.

Rainger

Reaction score
Only three of those guys are from the modern NFL era. It's also worth noting that Foles and Flacco put on historical postseason performances and absolutely carried their teams. Wilson also had a few moments where he was clutch.

The biggest issue that I have with Geno Smith, is he collapses in big moments, been that way ever since his collegiate days. It's the same reason why QB's such as Kirk Cousins aren't more highly regarded despite their gaudy statlines.

On his merits as a pure passer, he's about as good as anyone. The issue I have with Geno is when things around him go south, he tends to make really dumb decisions. He's easy to rattle and knock off his game. It is why i don't think that he's ever going to be a Super Bowl winning QB. Even with the best defense in the modern era, there were moments we needed to lean on Wilson during crucial moments.

Can Geno lead us to a Super Bowl? Sure, anything can happen, but some people just have a mental block in crucial moments and are unable to rise to the occasion. Geno Smith is firmly in the Kirk Cousins category of players. Not a bad place to be in, but also not the best player to stake your championship hopes on.
Man I could change the name of Geno to Russell and everything you said would still apply!

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Please define elite. So much of the Wilson back and forth depends on the definition.

For me, elite is being in the top three of your position for at least the entire term of one of your contracts. The usual term is four years. So, in any four consecutive years, was Wilson top three? I don't know how anyone can answer that as a yes with a straight face. He may have out performed Brees or Rodgers or Brady in a year or two of the four consecutive, but no one can truly argue that he did. Then you have the younger generation that replaced the old guard. He is not better than Mahomes, Allen or Burrow.

Even if you want to go off of pure numbers, go to his pro football reference page:

He has only ever led one season in three passing categories. Once in touchdowns. Once in QB rating. Once in fourth quarter comebacks/ game winning drives. On the last stat, one of those game winning drives/ fourth quarter comebacks we scored on the first play of the fourth quarter and never trailed again. Is that really a fourth quarter comeback? On one of the others the game winning drive was twelve plays in which Wilson completed only two passes. The one touchdown throw to Carson was with no one within seven yards of him. Not much high pressure game winning drive type stuff there.
Lastly, he never got the shot to lead in touchdown passes. He threw the ball 200 less times then most elite QBs got the shot to do. And he still threw for 35
So, your definition of elite is being either the third best to fifth best player in their position for a long time?

As far as ripping away credibility from Wilson because he is the villain now, it has nothing to do with him being the villain. I was one of the five or so people critiquing Wilson well before his Let Russ Cook campaign. So many people here were blinded by his sandlot style. So few of us could see how the receivers and linemen were reacting to him not getting the ball out on time. A lot of the comeback wins were due to him not running the offense as intended, but the Wilson marks always blamed the O-Line and Pete's offense, even though (and I have been pointing this out for most of the time that Wilson was here since I am an ACC fan and watched him at NC State) he always ran his passing offense from college (I even posted highlights from both NC State and Wisconsin illustrating this). I give a lot of credit to our offensive coordinators for getting him to do the read option so well as it wasn't really in his college playbooks. Other than that, he was pretty much a finished product coming into the NFL. His lack of evolution is the only thing that kept him from being elite by my definition.
Yea he is elite. Or was elite. To say he was not is just wrong. You can argue the last year but he was elite. I will take analysts, peers, former hall of famers take over you or upset hawk fans. I am a die hard Hawks fan and will always root for Seahawks over any player but, come on.

"Russell Wilson is still viewed as an elite quarterback by his NFL peers".

"Russell Wilson is still a top-10 starting quarterback in the eyes of his fellow players, coaches, scouts, and NFL executives."

"Analytics Prove Broncos' Russell Wilson is an Elite Top-5 QB".

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score

As far as Geno, he can take us to the Super Bowl. Whether or not he can win it is entirely up to the team. It is very disheartening how so many fans have been programmed by the NFL that the only thing that really matters on a football field is the quarterback. I miss actual football, when the league was not so slanted toward quarterbacks.
Marks? I responded. I can reply to any posts. Appreciate it tho

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Man I could change the name of Geno to Russell and everything you said would still apply!
Wilson had his flaws, but he was reliable in the 4th quarter. Geno Smith, not so much. In fact, Wilson is I believe third in 4th quarter comebacks and also is up there in game winning drives.

Wilson did come with his own set of flaws that made it things difficult. He was a terribly uneven QB that would disappear for long periods of time.

If we could merge Geno and Wilson together we’d have the perfect QB, but unfortunately that is not the case.

WarHawks

Reaction score
One guy doesn't win in the playoffs the whole team does. For instance will it be Genos fault if the Defense shits the bed, or the refs make a bunch of crap calls, or there are injuries, will as usual you all say seeee Geno cant win in the playoffs. Shit!
OK, you win. Geno is elite, and has everything we need. Hoorah.

WarHawks

Reaction score
What a f*cking stupid statement. No where did I use the word elite. Man it is people like you that conflate things that is why the world has mass psychosis.
Take it down a notch chief.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Lastly, he never got the shot to lead in touchdown passes. He threw the ball 200 less times then most elite QBs got the shot to do. And he still threw for 35
Yeah, he was really good when he had the best running game in the league to move the chains for him.

Unfortunately, when the team puts him in a position to succeed, he becomes an unbelievable diva cancer who wants to throw 60 times a game.

He's good at the deep ball and literally nothing else at this point in his career, and that's fading fast. That's the whole goddamned point the others and I were making for years.

Maybe he's finally been humbled after becoming an absolute joke and destroying half his legacy in one year, but is it too late?

Jesus, the discourse around this dude is so dumb. One side of this argument got pretty conclusively proven correct, yet others still double down. It's hilarious.

Last edited:

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah, he was really good when he had the best running game in the league to move the chains for him.

Unfortunately, when the team puts him in a position to succeed, he becomes an unbelievable diva cancer who wants to throw 60 times a game.

He's good at the deep ball and literally nothing else at this point in his career, and that's fading fast. That's the whole goddamned point the others and I were making for years.

Maybe he's finally been humbled after becoming an absolute joke and destroying half his legacy in one year, but is it too late?

Jesus, the discourse around this dude is so dumb. One side of this argument got pretty conclusively proven correct, yet others still double down. It's hilarious.

Lynch only played with Russ for 3 1/2 seasons.

Seahawks only led in Rushing one time which was in 2014. Wilson had 849yards w/ 6 TDs that year. He average 7.2 yards a carry which led the NFL.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Lynch only played with Russ for 3 1/2 seasons.

Seahawks only led in Rushing one time which was in 2014. Wilson had 849yards w/ 6 TDs that year. He average 7.2 yards a carry which led the NFL.

Buddy, I was a better Russ defender than you back in the day. I know the talking points like the back of my hand for the 2018 season. Might wanna read up on it.

The Seahawks led the league in rushing in 2018, allowing Russ to have one of the most efficient deep passing seasons in modern history on a small number attempts. His deep game opened up the rushing attack, and the rushing attack opened him up to pass deep.

This is the only way Russ can succeed as a player. It is the only blueprint.

ivotuk

Reaction score
There's a rule here...no thread hijacking. ie: This is a thread about Geno and his Superb Owl chances.

If you want to talk about Russell, there's an app for that....errr forum.

Can Geno win a Superb Owl? Yes, and he will. I was a big fan of his coming out of West Virginia, but his immaturity, and his stint with the Jets almost ruined him.

But Geno was resilient, and took backup jobs behind elite talent at QB, biding his time and learning. So many ignorant teams repeated the same lazy line, "He's never been able to break in to the starting lineup."

Which is why Pete and John got him here, kept him here, and gave him his chance. I don't believe the Geno vs Lock competition was any more serious than "Let's call it a competition for the sake of the optics."

When Geno got his chance, he proved that his West Virginia stats were no illusion. He will only be better this year, making a "Rookie to 2nd Year" type of jump, but not quite as dramatic because he unlike a rookie, he was very successful last year.

To those saying Geno isn't a Superb Owl winning QB, look at history. QBs don't do it alone.

2023 Seahawks have: YA young, durable Offensive Line, 2 Elite Running Backs, 3 Elite Wide Receivers, 3 damn good Tight Ends, and a Defense that will make a monster leap in to the Top 15, very likely the Top 10, which will be all this Smokin' Offense is going to need.

We now have the talent on this defense to be elite, but it's going to take time for them to come together.

Hawk4life

Reaction score

Disheartening is a great way of putting it. It is very disturbing how much resistance there is to speaking the truth.

PC is a contradiction to the NFL which makes you love and hate the guy.

We won a super bowl against Peyton Manning and did it with a 5'10" 2nd year QB that nobody expected to be good. We had a shot to win it against Tom Brady but lost due to our short 3rd year QB. Then paid him elite money to stay for 4 years.

We faced 2 of the best QB's of all time and nearly won it all with a short 5'10" 2nd year QB that nobody said was going to be good in the NFL.

That interception is the worst play in Seahawks history because it closed the door on our unconventional run.

We were the upstart poor winning against the rich despite their cheating and manipulations. PC knew our history and learned from Holmgren's mistake, so we dominated on defense to such a scale that they couldn't cheat enough to keep up.

We lost the super bowl because PC gambled and in horrific fashion, his ride with lady luck eventually caught up, but winning our super bowl has been far more than worth it.

We all knew that RW wasn't capable of carrying a weakened team because we were paying him. It was going to be like the Dave Krieg years all over again, an endless cycle of almost making the playoffs and 1 and dones.

I don't think we realize just how much luck this team has experienced, (Dallas kicking aside) RW was the perfect QB for what we needed at the time to succeed.

And to top it off, I totally thought we had missed the window for getting something good for trading RW, but the miracles just keep coming.

So the next time you want to complain about PC, just remember what he was able to do with that short 3rd round QB.

And Geno was better in his first full year as a Seahawk than RW was during his first year. Sky's the limit.

Last edited:

rcaido

Reaction score
View attachment 59020

Buddy, I was a better Russ defender than you back in the day. I know the talking points like the back of my hand for the 2018 season. Might wanna read up on it.

The Seahawks led the league in rushing in 2018, allowing Russ to have one of the most efficient deep passing seasons in modern history on a small number attempts. His deep game opened up the rushing attack, and the rushing attack opened him up to pass deep.

This is the only way Russ can succeed as a player. It is the only blueprint.

Ok 2 years out 10. Not exactly the best running game carrying him his career. Wilson is probably one of most efficient QB of all time, not just 2018. He had a top 10 offense 8 out 10 seasons. While throwing considerably less then most QBs most of his career. 3rd best rushing qB of all time.

Second most wins, 37,000yrds passing, 292tds, 65% completion 3rd best all time in TD to INT ratio

Yeah its was because of the running games....

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ok 2 years out 10. Not exactly the best running game carrying him his career. Wilson is probably one of most efficient QB of all time, not just 2018. He had a top 10 offense 8 out 10 seasons. While throwing considerably less then most QBs most of his career. 3rd best rushing qB of all time.

Second most wins, 37,000yrds passing, 292tds, 65% completion 3rd best all time in TD to INT ratio

Yeah its was because of the running games....

Exactly. And also, with Wilson, I never lost faith that there was always a chance to win. If the team needed a game winning drive or 4th quarter comeback, I always believed and had hope because I saw it a million times. With Geno, I throw in the towel and go mow grass because I know the probability of a win is about zilch.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score

When Russ lost his legs, he was done as a quality QB. His keeping plays alive and turning them into first downs and touchdowns turned into 18 yard sacks because he just couldn’t throw the ball away, and in his mind he could still escape when his body was saying “no you can’t anymore”.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Ok 2 years out 10. Not exactly the best running game carrying him his career.
2019 saw a top 5 rushing attack as well.

In the second portion of his career, he absolutely does need a rushing game to support him. He is next to useless when the offense is run mainly through him, because he is absolutely terrible at moving the chains.

Early in his career, he could actually escape and make people miss. That was his bread and butter. He's fat and old now.

This is in contrast to the complementary offense the Seahawks can now run with Geno Smith without him bitching and trying to get everyone fired.

Latest posts