Geno and the Super Bowl

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Why is it that everyone thinks we can’t win a Super Bowl with Geno. He played very well last year. With all the additional offensive weapons he will have even less pressure to "do it all”. He is more than capable. People think you need a Brady or Mahomes in order to win. That is just BS. We won when Russ was still budding and not “elite”. Plenty of others have been won without an elite QB. Geno may be elite (time will tell) but many have already written his narrative for him. Lame. I am not saying he is the second coming of Brady or anything like that but he has proven he can play at a high level. Let’s root for him and at least not write him off. Jeez. Some fan base we are.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having the opinion that he's not a SB level QB. He's not an elite QB. And no, that does NOT mean I don't like the guy. He's damn good. But he's not top tier.
Super Bowl? No, but I can see them winning a playoff game, maybe even two. Yes, there have been average QB's who won a SB. But look at the rosters they had around them.
He has never even won a playoff game, and made several questionable decisions last year, especially later in the season.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I understand some hesitancy about Geno but there have been many people echoing the sentiment that he is unable to win it all. I am surprised that we don’t have more people screaming about not drafting a QB if they really feel that way. Why waste the time on Geno if they really feel he can’t get them to the dance? I am excited about his up coming season and yes I do feel he can win it all but he will not have to do it alone. I understand some skepticism but to the level I have seen it is a bit weird.

Mick063

Reaction score
The only championship that this franchise has ever won had nothing to do with the quarterback position and you, my friend, have made the mistake of depicting the loud vocal minority of this board as "everyone". Insert a quarterback of Geno's competency onto that squad and the outcome would have been the same. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Geno, right now, is more competent than "year 2" Wilson. Don't forget that Geno set two franchise records last year.

There are multiple paths to a championship and no exclusive path to a championship. Some include a generational quarterback, and some don't.

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
My skepticism isn't directly about Geno.

It is about the ability of PCJS to build another defense anywhere near the level of the LOB days.

Geno could win a SB with the current offensive weapons AND a top defense. I just don't think that type of defense is on the horizon. At this point I would be happy with a mediocre 16th ranked defense.

With a better QBOTF the need for a top defense is reduced to needing a great defense, which is probably the ceiling under PCJS.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Everybody is unable to win it all until they do, and lots of people have never won it all and we're still elite level players. Any given Sunday is the old saying that still holds true today.

Lots and lots and LOTS of things happen every day of the season that are factors in a team winning or losing that have nothing to do with your QB.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Geno on the 2013 roster could have won a SB. Geno on the 2023 roster is extremely unlikely to win a SB. He will not carry a team to a title and so he needs a great team around him to take the pressure off him. Just look at the playoff game vs SF. He was lights out for the first half. As soon as he wasn't up to that standard the game fell apart.

This team needs another great offseason or two to have the caliber of roster that I think Geno needs to win a SB. Geno skeptics like myself, think that he will maybe regress from last years numbers and/or be in his age 35 season when this team's championship window opens. It's a lot to bank on one season of production.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
IMHO I think the offense could be a Super Bowl quality offense if the new players play well. The defense still has issues, primarily the front 7.

Mick063

Reaction score
Geno on the 2013 roster could have won a SB. Geno on the 2023 roster is extremely unlikely to win a SB. He will not carry a team to a title and so he needs a great team around him to take the pressure off him. Just look at the playoff game vs SF. He was lights out for the first half. As soon as he wasn't up to that standard the game fell apart.

This team needs another great offseason or two to have the caliber of roster that I think Geno needs to win a SB. Geno skeptics like myself, think that he will maybe regress from last years numbers and/or be in his age 35 season when this team's championship window opens. It's a lot to bank on one season of production.
Let's get to the part about the quarter billion dollar guaranteed contract and the relentless year-to-year roster reshuffle required to maintain it. Let's include the entire story here.
The folks infatuated with quarterbacks always fail to mention it. ALWAYS.

Maintaining a decent roster with that ball and chain hanging around your neck is a bigger hurdle than building a championship defense. The team couldn't sniff the thought of a championship roster if they would have paid Wilson and once you pay for one of these prodigies, you are stuck with them. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
I guess I shouldn't even watch the Seahawks this year. Between this thread and the other SB thread, what's the point. All this talk of Geno isn't good enough and we're still 2-3 years away.

OF COURSE we have a chance to win the SB this upcoming season. Im seeing people rank us 3rd in the NFC behind Philly and San Fran. As in, only a whopping TWO (2) teams in the conference look better on paper! I'm seeing some say we've narrowed the gap with the Niners while others are actually picking us to surpass them. And what if Philly has a SB loss hangover? "OK, but even if we get to the Super Bowl, we're still not beating the AFC!"

Right, because Super Bowl upsets never happen. And who's to say Seattle wouldn't be favored by then, depending on the way things play out.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Let's get to the part about the quarter billion dollar guaranteed contract and the relentless year-to-year roster reshuffle to maintain it. Let's include the entire story here.

Maintaining a decent roster with that ball and chain hanging around your neck is a bigger hurdle than building a championship defense. The team couldn't sniff the thought of a championship roster if they would have paid Wilson and once you pay for one of these prodigies, you are stuck with them. Just sayin'.
Moving on from Russ was absolutely the right choice. But now instead of paying Russ $50m, we will pay Geno up to $47m if he does well. Not sure that's any better. Also why I wanted us to draft a QB at 5.

Mick063

Reaction score
Moving on from Russ was absolutely the right choice. But now instead of paying Russ $50m, we will pay Geno up to $47m if he does well. Not sure that's any better. Also why I wanted us to draft a QB at 5.
Geno is a relative bargain compared to the salary demands of your unicorn vision and Geno has an escape clause. Please have an honest discussion that compares apples to apples. Start by not confusing your key words "up to" (ie. incentives) with the word guaranteed. Start by being honest.

Last edited:

rcaido

Reaction score
Geno is a relative bargain compared to the salary demands of your unicorn vision and has an escape clause. Please have an honest discussion that compares apples to apples. Start by not confusing your key words "up to" (ie. incentives) with the word guaranteed. Start by being honest.
Seahawks did a bad job getting JAGs and awful trades. Wilson wasn't the problem with his salary. Wilson escape-ability "most" of his career allowed the FO to focus on other positions.

Last season we really killed it w/ the draft. Thought our defense would be the strength and Geno would be horrible and Lock ending up getting the starting job. Geno surprise everyone w/ a Probowl level play. Our defense stunk. Team ran on us w/ ease. We also had one of the worse qb pressure.

We lose Al Woods & Poona....We could have had a game changer w/ Carter at 5. Im not really sure our defense has improved. The only good thing is the Cardinals & Rams are in rebuild. Geno started to go downhill second half of the season. Our offense looks really strong, probably top 7. So we should be able to wins around 7-9 games this year.

I dont think Geno can win a Superbowl w/ this current team.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Some folk are just contrarians by nature, they'll never accept Geno can take the owl.

This dude has a ring and he's as pedestrian as they come. I'd even say he's just bad, haha

Geno can win a Superbowl, don't know if he will. But that's what Sundays are for. Who cares if any of us believe it anyway. The only people that I care about buying into it aren't posting on a message board, haha.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
No one person ever wins the Super Bowl. As part of the Seahawks team, Geno absolutely can win it, until the rest of the league proves they can't. Right now, on paper, the run defense is the big question mark. If the run D can be middle of the league, say 16th-12th, I think that will be enough for the rest of the team to shine. If the pass defense lives up to its potential, and the offense lives up to its potential, we'll be in the running once again this year.

James in PA

Reaction score
No one person ever wins the Super Bowl. As part of the Seahawks team, Geno absolutely can win it, until the rest of the league proves they can't. Right now, on paper, the run defense is the big question mark. If the run D can be middle of the league, say 16th-12th, I think that will be enough for the rest of the team to shine. If the pass defense lives up to its potential, and the offense lives up to its potential, we'll be in the running once again this year.
Correct. Geno is more than capable of winning a SB if the everything comes together like it should, particularly on defense. Simply saying, "you're not winning a Super Bowl with Geno Smith" is a dumb, lazy hot take you'd expect to hear from a guy like Cowherd.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Some folk are just contrarians by nature, they'll never accept Geno can take the owl.

This dude has a ring and he's as pedestrian as they come. I'd even say he's just bad, haha

Geno can win a Superbowl, don't know if he will. But that's what Sundays are for. Who cares if any of us believe it anyway. The only people that I care about buying into it aren't posting on a message board, ha.
"BUT DILFER DID IT!" is about one of the worst arguments that one can make.

The first thing we must mention is that was back in the year 2000. The NFL was a VERY different place. The defense could maul receivers, the defense could wail on people with reckless abandon, so on and so forth. The game was much different, it was much harder to pass in that landscape.

If you need any sort of proof, just go look at the top passers from 2000 and 2020, the last season with only 16 games.

In 2000 there were only three players that broke 4k yards. There was only one passer that broke 65 percent passing, 3 guys that had more than 30 TDs, and the lowest INT total for a QB that started all 16 games was 10.

In 2020 by contrast we have 12 4,000 yard passers, over 10 passers that had 30+ touchdowns, the MVP having 48 to his name. Three passers had over 40 or more touchdowns, three QB's had over 70 percent completion, by contrast only one QB had over 65 percent completion in 2000.

I could keep on going. It's a disingenuous argument to compare the two situations.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Correct. Geno is more than capable of winning a SB if the everything comes together like it should, particularly on defense. Simply saying, "you're not winning a Super Bowl with Geno Smith" is a dumb, lazy hot take you'd expect to hear from a guy like Cowherd.
It's highly unlikely as Geno has been in 2021 and 2022. We *COULD* but it's probably not going to happen. Geno's record in crunch time is very bad going all the way back to college.

People that keep saying "but the defense" are missing some key points. Just having a good defense doesn't guarantee you a SB or even a playoff win. You need a guy that'll make those big time plays in crunch time. I don't think Geno is that guy that can make that stuff happen.

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont get the ' he's not elite, therefore he can't carry us to a superbowl' logic. We won our superbowl with a non elite qb and lost one due in part to a non elite qb. Not throwing shade at Russ, but I think it's pretty plainly obvious now how extremely limited he has been throughout his career.

Geno can diagnose defense and distribute the ball extremely effectively. His completion percentage of 70% last year was no fluke. It's a simple result of a qb working within a system. Not below it. Not above it. And it stands to reason that as the offense expands around him, so does its variability and capability for deception. The Hawks go so far as Geno AND Waldron's ability to grow a scheme that can, by default, dictate flow, and adapt to whatever a defense shows. If he masters that system and the system is good enough, we can win and win a ton.

I think Hawks fans have been lulled into the belief that if you aren't displaying acts of extreme physical ability, twisting, sprinting, jumping and then hurling the ball 60 yards down field 8 seconds after the ball was snapped, then you aren't elite enough to win.

It's fallacy. Kurt Warner pointed out as much in his diagnoses of our losses in 2019 /20 - playing qb and winning didn't have to look as hard as our qb at the time was making it. We LOST games because we didn't do the simple things... like throw a slant low and on the wr body rather than high and inside...

Or hit the underneath wr for a drive sustaining 3rd down completion that leads to victory, rather than resorting to heroics over and over again.

Geno DOES have to work on his pocket awareness in critical situations. His fumbles last year contributed to key losses against the 9ers and Bucs. AND, it was his ability as a qb that was why we were in tbise games in the first place.

He also needs to remain composed and again, not like the 9ers playoff loss, start pushing the ball and forcing things.

Those two things are eminently coachable and fixable when your scheme is big enough that you don't have to rely on plays from a well that is relatively limited to succeed.

Brett Favre was KNOWN for his gunslinger mentality. I'm not comparing Genos ability to Brett's, but the similarity is in that Brett also threw an extremely high percentage of balls that shoukd have been intercepted (a knock on Geno) and he lost games as often as he won them by forcing throws he didn't have to. He didn't do it as much with Holmgren in large part because it was the SYSTEM that allowed him to work the ball effectively and not resort to his instinct to just thread the ball into a hole he had a 5% chance of hitting, rather than working through a progression that brought him to the correct read.

I THINK Geno will find that same discipline. Why? Because I think he has a chip on his shoulder to prove himself the anti-Russ and master of all things Russ wasn't. I think hes smart enough to know now after sitting behind guys like Eli and Rivers and watching what a non elite arm and physical ability in guys like the GOAT can get you.

Not saying he WILL, because all of that requires a diligence, discipline and commitment to craft that no-one can be certain Geno will apply. But if you listen to the guy talk about his game, he obviously knows the above are key.

If he does it, we can absolutley win with him.

He could also cap out as a guy who never fully reached his potential (and I think his potential is higher than last year) or be a guy who, with his coordinator, couldn't develop an attack that was varied enough to succeed.

But to say he will never ... xyz. The only thing I can say he'll never do is run for 600 yards a season. Throw for 73%? Possible. Throw for 5000 yards? For sure. 3 to 1 td to int rate? Sure. Yup. And those things in anyone's book, win championships.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Let's get to the part about the quarter billion dollar guaranteed contract and the relentless year-to-year roster reshuffle required to maintain it. Let's include the entire story here.

Kansas City seems to be doing alright.