From a Vikes perspective .... what to expect

JPatera76

Reaction score
SkolVikes":3i36tugc said:
Dizzlepdx":3i36tugc said:
johnnyfever":3i36tugc said:
The one thing no one is talking about as far as the last vikes game. The refs seriously bent them over. The whole time I was watching it I felt bad for them, as we are normally the ones on the bad side of calls. I haven't seen a game that poorly officiated for that length of time in forever. We will win, but the refs won't be bringing that many presents on sunday.

Completely disagree, at least when the game was still anywhere near salvageable. From what I saw there were 3 bad calls in the first half-

1)Illegal contact against Wright when Bridgewater had left the pocket. Would have been 4th down.
2)Holding against the CB who was covering Lockett, would have been 4th down.
3)Personal Foul on Minny DL for holding onto RW's foot after whistle blew, but RW still fighting. Would have been 3rd and long, but in FG range.

Were there some egregious calls in the 2nd half, yes. But as others have said, it was already over.

That call on roughing the passer where they said Robison held on too long even though Wilson was still trying to run was complete BS. I mean Wilson actually ran 20 yards down field long after the whistle blew. That penalty changed the whole game imo, it would have been a very long field goal if that sack had counted, instead you guys scored a td.
I was sitting second row 40 yard line and I have never heard a stadium so loud with boos after that penalty.

No, no it didn't. Was it a bad penalty ? Yes, but not game changing.

Vikes45

Reaction score
It's Packerish to talk about penalties weeks after a game was played.

The Vikings lost for a lot of reasons.

This game will be completely different for a lot of reasons.

iigakusei

Reaction score
The thing I find interesting is the common narrative that the Vikings were missing key defensive starters which affected the outcome and will be the key change in the upcoming game. The slight little issue that seems to be getting less attention is of the Vikings offense scoring zero points in the first meeting. How do they think they will attack the Seahawks defense? How do you get AP going? Will Bridgewater risk going deep...or have the time too?

idahawks

Reaction score
[

Playing in cold weather in and of itself is not that big of a deal. Wind and rain is much worse in terms of affecting a teams gameplan.[/quote]

Cold wet slick balls and wind probably effect ball handling more and will effect the game differently than 0 degree weather. But the 0 degree weather effects players, movement, speed and feeling in their extremities. It drastically effects the kicking game, the ball becomes deflated but brittle. The air is more dense having a greater aerodynamic effect on the ball. The cold has an effect slowly on the body over the course of the game and changes from beginning to end. By the end of the game the players core temperature has dropped. They gradually lose feeling in their fingers and toes. Its a different weather situation to deal with than seattle weather.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
idahawks":17x3virz said:
dizzlepdx":17x3virz said:
Playing in cold weather in and of itself is not that big of a deal. Wind and rain is much worse in terms of affecting a teams gameplan.

Cold wet slick balls and wind probably effect ball handling more and will effect the game differently than 0 degree weather. But the 0 degree weather effects players, movement, speed and feeling in their extremities. It drastically effects the kicking game, the ball becomes deflated but brittle. The air is more dense having a greater aerodynamic effect on the ball. The cold has an effect slowly on the body over the course of the game and changes from beginning to end. By the end of the game the players core temperature has dropped. They gradually lose feeling in their fingers and toes. Its a different weather situation to deal with than seattle weather.

I've played in 8 degrees and none of our guys had anything near that dramatic. The ball is going to become brittle? Is it going to shatter?

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":f0togdt2 said:
SFVikeFan":f0togdt2 said:
- O-line issues. Vikes lost 2 starters in pre-season in RT Loadholt and Center John Sullivan. LT Kalil had 2 knee surgeries in offseason and hasn't lived up to expectations. LG Fusco switched from RG and has been brutal, giving up the most QB pressures of an OG in the NFL. To make matters worse, Norv Turner has called for the most 7-step drops of anyone in the NFL. Since Vikings are dead last in pass attempts, it means we have the highest % of 7-step drops in the NFL and the results have been brutal. When Turner calls for shorter pass patterns Teddy has played well, but right now Teddy is #1 in NFL with most QB pressures at 46% of all dropbacks he gets pressured and that's a major reason our passing offense is so lackluster - it's not all Teddy's fault.

You should post here more. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to convince people that play-calling affects OL and QB performance.

For real, some people think there are no bad game plans or playcalls, only players who fall short in execution. It's aggravating

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
I will have to repeat the Congratulations to the Vikings for winning the division. Us older Washingtonians who remember the time before there was a Seahawk's team also remember who we northwesterners latched on to in the NFL, which seemed to be mostly the Vikings, or the LA Rams back in the 1960s, & 70s. That being said, here is hoping for an injury free entertaining game, and that the only ones with frostbite will be the few knuckleheads that will get on the jumbotron for not wearing a shirt. Oh yea there will be a few of those, maybe from both sides. Here is also hoping that the only banner the Vikings will raise when they open their new stadium will be the NFC North Champion banner.

Optimus25

Reaction score
If you want to see a team play with zero pressure and the other team have pressure on their shoulders, watch next week when we take on Carolina. If they crap the bed after a one loss season, at home in a playoff atmosphere, half of Charlotte might get put on suicide watch. And newsflash, we're the one team that can punch them in the mouth.

Sorry but i feel the vikes will feel a similar pressure to that as kickoff approaches, whereas the hawks just have a TCB attitude and lots of swagger with our biggest swag back, ie lynch and chancellor, on both sides of the ball.

Not that i blame you got at least trying to go all half full.

SkolVikes

Reaction score
Optimus25":fqbnpydq said:
If you want to see a team play with zero pressure and the other team have pressure on their shoulders, watch next week when we take on Carolina. If they crap the bed after a one loss season, at home in a playoff atmosphere, half of Charlotte might get put on suicide watch. And newsflash, we're the one team that can punch them in the mouth.

Sorry but i feel the vikes will feel a similar pressure to that as kickoff approaches, whereas the hawks just have a TCB attitude and lots of swagger with our biggest swag back, ie lynch and chancellor, on both sides of the ball.

I personally love that you are looking by us like we don't exist. I really hope we beat you guys, I will be at the game yelling loudly. I believe that our coaching staff will come out with a solid game plan and we will make it a damn good game and maybe pull out the W.

byau

Reaction score
Yes I forgot my congrats to the Vikings. I always loved the name the Purple People Eaters and I can't tell you why, but for some reason Fran Tarkenton was my favorite player. I think it was because it seemed his football card always had the same pose, and there were always extra highlights cards of him because he broke some record or another, and his pose itself looked really poised and graceful. Don't ever recall seeing him play, only that I liked collecting his cards

As far as the Bridgewater vs Wilson comparisons, have to agree with most here. The situation itself is comparable, grooming a QB to take on more and to give him a "crutch" so to speak with a beastly running back to fall back on. But that's about where it stops. With Russell, mindset and preparation it seems is tops bar none. Just from the way he talks and carries himself you could see he was a special guy. On the field, he was always very poised and didn't let anything really drag him down. Not sure I see that in Bridgewater. While he seems gifted physically, not sure he has that same level as someone who can function at historic levels.

Polaris

Reaction score
SkolVikes":2bi60vmh said:
Optimus25":2bi60vmh said:

I personally love that you are looking by us like we don't exist. I really hope we beat you guys, I will be at the game yelling loudly. I believe that our coaching staff will come out with a solid game plan and we will make it a damn good game and maybe pull out the W.

I think you are overstating that a bit. One thing I can promise you, however, is this: Whatever the 12s may think, the Sea-Hawks themselves are looking past nobody and certainly not in the playoffs. It's simply not in Pete Carroll's DNA and the team takes it's cue from him on this. I also point out that the Rams game happened not too long ago, and don't think it didn't serve as a rude reminder of what happens if you don't play 'assignment correct' football.

All that said, I feel you. I do. I remember feeling exactly the same way when everyone (and with just as good justification) was telling me in the 2006 playoffs (early 2007) that Seattle stood no chance against Chicago, especially since Chicago had blown the doors off Seattle earlier that season. In the end Seattle did lose, but it was a MUCH closer game (going into overtime). I also remember being mad as heck at everyone for 'disrespecting us' even though I knew rationally that the disrespect was merited. So I would not be surprised if the Vikings give us a much better game than anyone anticipates. However, like that cold day in Soldier field in early 2007, I do expect the favored team to win that day (in this case Seattle as it was Chicago back then).

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I dig the Vikings and all and I am confident that the Hawks will win. Not because of the crap that happened in the earlier meeting but that even when the Hawks put up a stinker they are there in the end, every time.

When you think they are going to fall apart and take a blowout you just remain patient and they come through. They show up at some point in every game, hopefully they don't have to make a miracle comeback this week, but I believe they will if needed.

mort

Reaction score
SFVikeFan":12kd0x7p said:
Hey Hawks fans,
I just wanted to say what a classy and thoughtful OP, thanks for dropping by SFVikeFan.
Here's to a injury free game.
:thirishdrinkers:

Zorn76

Reaction score
SFVikesFan - Condolences to you...difficult way to lose, to say the least.

Good posts by you here, very classy.

Vikings are up and coming - this won't be the last sighting of them in the postseason moving forward.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Zorn76":vaog0u73 said:

Vikings are up and coming - this won't be the last sighting of them in the postseason moving forward.

I just don't get these posts. Vikings fans want to hate us right now, not condolences. We have nothing to be sorry for

Zorn76

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3rlqyhdd said:
Zorn76":3rlqyhdd said:

I just don't get these posts. Vikings fans want to hate us right now, not condolences. We have nothing to be sorry for

Hence, my post was directed at SFVikesFan, specifically.

Beyond that - to each their own.