Free Agent Offensive Tackle Options

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't care who you bring in, if they have not excelled in a ZBS they will suck, they have to learn a whole new technique and blocking scheme. The scheme is the killer, your looking for a special skill set and one that has to be taught over time, also the better ZBS lines have not been tall and large, they have been shorter of stature and quicker more then powerful. This makes a conundrum for us since we are looking at big and fast and power while still trying to use a scheme suited to smaller and quicker.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Largent80":m4x0htrz said:
Chapow":m4x0htrz said:
Largent80":m4x0htrz said:
So spend more money for more stink. Got it.

:34853_doh: No. The idea is not to spend more money and still be just as bad as last year at offensive tackle. The idea is to upgrade the position from really bad to at least competent and if that costs more money, then so be it.

:34853_doh: If money could solve it we would have paid Okung before last year. The fact is he isn't worth what he is asking regardless of what anyone here says and the proof is that he didn't get resigned and that Denver is more than likely not resigning him either.

Seattle was in a tough position with Okung. The man hit the market with a SB pedigree wanting a huge payday, and Seattle wasn't willing to give it to him, in part because of PCJS's typical frugality. It doesn't mean he was terrible - just that he was middle-of-the-road and hadn't seen it yet.

But now Okung is the one in the tough position. He didn't justify the pay he himself negotiated. The whole league knows it, and they also know that Okung is a bit of a weird egg in that he likes to represent himself. The market might be sparse, but I still don't see huge paydays waiting for him from some other team. Plus, Okung knows the Seattle system, and he now better understands the intangible value of playing for a perennial contender, as opposed to the Broncos who have everything but a QB (i.e. nothing).

As far as Seattle - whatever you thought of Okung as a Seahawk, he allowed fewer penalty yards and pressures in an entire season than George Fant did in eight games. Fant is terrible. He does have the tools and athleticism; MAYBE, after an actual offseason of work, he morphs into a competent left tackle. But if I'm Pete (or Wilson), I'm not gambling. Now here is a guy named Russell Okung who knows our system, knows our QB, and while not being a yearly Pro Bowl centerpiece, might be a little humbler now in regards to his self-perception. I definitely might offer a passable contract to him.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":30eyphm4 said:
Largent80":30eyphm4 said:
Chapow":30eyphm4 said:
Largent80":30eyphm4 said:
So spend more money for more stink. Got it.

:34853_doh: No. The idea is not to spend more money and still be just as bad as last year at offensive tackle. The idea is to upgrade the position from really bad to at least competent and if that costs more money, then so be it.

:34853_doh: If money could solve it we would have paid Okung before last year. The fact is he isn't worth what he is asking regardless of what anyone here says and the proof is that he didn't get resigned and that Denver is more than likely not resigning him either.

Seattle was in a tough position with Okung. The man hit the market with a SB pedigree wanting a huge payday, and Seattle wasn't willing to give it to him, in part because of PCJS's typical frugality. It doesn't mean he was terrible - just that he was middle-of-the-road and hadn't seen it yet.

But now Okung is the one in the tough position. He didn't justify the pay he himself negotiated. The whole league knows it, and they also know that Okung is a bit of a weird egg in that he likes to represent himself. The market might be sparse, but I still don't see huge paydays waiting for him from some other team. Plus, Okung knows the Seattle system, and he now better understands the intangible value of playing for a perennial contender, as opposed to the Broncos who have everything but a QB (i.e. nothing)....and Okung.

As far as Seattle - whatever you thought of Okung as a Seahawk, he allowed fewer penalty yards and pressures in an entire season than George Fant did in eight games. Fant is terrible. He does have the tools and athleticism; MAYBE, after an actual offseason of work, he morphs into a competent left tackle. But if I'm Pete (or Wilson), I'm not gambling. Now here is a guy named Russell Okung who knows our system, knows our QB, and while not being a yearly Pro Bowl centerpiece, might be a little humbler now in regards to his self-perception. I definitely might offer a passable contract to him.

FIFY.