Free Agent Offensive Tackle Options

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3l7o9dr0 said:
getnasty":3l7o9dr0 said:
I wonder if there's any thought on moving Ifedi to right tackle? I would perfer that he stay inside but just to gain some continuity with the interior of the line but I wouldn't be shocked if he opened the season at RT.

Ifedi was just another in a long line of early draft picks that were suppose to play tackle, but magically had to move inside once training camp started.

Boggles my mind that we have the combined experience, football intelligence and savvy of three people like Schneider, Pete and Cable..............and we still can't draft O-lineman correctly.

I know this happens a lot. Mainly because in college the best OL prospects play on the edge. That's just the way college teams work with the talent they have.

All that said, I concur that we don't evaluate offensive linemen properly. We miss on far too many quality players and I suspect it's largely because we limit the pool so rigidly to athleticism. A strategy that has worked all too well with other positions. But clearly there is an element to quality offensive linemen that doesn't adhere so strictly to our 'athletic upside' profile.

I don't think it's rooted in our moving guys inside, because we haven't really done that any more than other teams in an OL needy league. And honestly, our best interior guys (Carpenter, Britt) have been our most successful organic draftees thus far. Each being OTs that were moved inside.

Actually, Ifedi is precisely the different take. Instead of wasting a rookie year at RT, only to be moved inside to have to take an additional year to acclimate -- they started him on the inside where the curve is slighter. In a way, it seems like they have adjusted to the successes (and failures).

Chapow

Reaction score
Largent80":2566orfq said:
So spend more money for more stink. Got it.

:34853_doh: No. The idea is not to spend more money and still be just as bad as last year at offensive tackle. The idea is to upgrade the position from really bad to at least competent and if that costs more money, then so be it.

Chapow

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2459lf4w said:
The argument that the team should take Okung back b/c there are only a few options is sorth of like settling to go to prom with the ugly girl when there are better options. At least you've got a date is the logic. Paying premium money for the 15th best guy, if in fact he really is 15th, sounds to me like something the team wouldn't do. Perhaps, if the price was really right, but even then i suspect the team has seen all it needed to see of Okung.

I really don't care if it's Okung or someone else. I would like to see some competent offensive tackles out there. I don't think this team can win another championship without some improvement at OT.

To go along with your analogy, what we have right now is the equivalent of going to prom with your mom. We already have a date, it's just the most pathetic and embarrassing date possible. What we are trying to do is get a better date and quite frankly, almost anything is better than going to prom with your mom.

And nobody suggested paying premium money for Okung. Where did that even come from?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2uyas8gt said:
Actually, Ifedi is precisely the different take. Instead of wasting a rookie year at RT, only to be moved inside to have to take an additional year to acclimate -- they started him on the inside where the curve is slighter. In a way, it seems like they have adjusted to the successes (and failures).

I understand what they did, and yes Ifedi is better suited inside.

That's not the point, the point is why do we keep wasting high draft picks on guards who we thought could play tackle? Just about everyone to a man said Ifedi was a reach, just like they said Carpenter was a reach.

You can get good guards lower, so stop drafting "tackles" high and switching them to guards.

IMO this is more about Cable who seeks out "his type of guy," then we reach. It's an unsuccessful tactic that we keep repeating.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Every time we talk about the Oline I just keep coming back to this Cable truth.

Did Cable want the player? If yes he sucks.

Did Cable coach the player? If yes he sucks.

Tom Cable is the black hole that is destroying this team. When we look back on this "what if" dynasty it will come back to keeping Tom Cable.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Would you guys trade KJ Wright for Thomas (maybe throw in a 3rd if necessary)?

Wright is 27 and a Pro Bowler and could play any of the 3 LB spots for Cleveland that aren't occupied by Collins. Cleveland wants players.

Yeah we'd miss Wright but we play mostly nickel and if we draft a S then Kam could come up and play WLB in the nickel.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
A-Dog":2zgqg2u9 said:

Wright is 27 and a Pro Bowler and could play any of the 3 LB spots for Cleveland that aren't occupied by Collins. Cleveland wants players.

Yeah we'd miss Wright but we play mostly nickel and if we draft a S then Kam could come up and play WLB in the nickel.

No. But I'd gladly give them Fant, Gilliam, Kearse, and Tom Cable for Joe Thomas. Apparently Cable is a genius as an OL coach. So it's an even trade. :sarcasm_off:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":f22pirlx said:
A-Dog":f22pirlx said:

No. But I'd gladly give them Fant, Gilliam, Kearse, and Tom Cable for Joe Thomas. Apparently Cable is a genius as an OL coach. So it's an even trade. :sarcasm_off:

Don't go crazy. I think just Cable and the future rights to some middle school power forward would be sufficient.

sdog1981

Reaction score
No love for Ricky Wagner? I think he would be an excellent fit for the team.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
You guys know in reality, the Seahawks aren't going to spend more than $2 Mil or so for any OL free agent. I'm saying it here now, we start all 5 guys that ended the 2016 season, in 2017. (For better or worse).

RussB

Reaction score
Hawks are a decent o line away from SB contenttion. Andrew whitworth is the answer here. Wont hurt to try and sign TJ lang and mike remmers also.

RussB

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":14w2oipo said:
You guys know in reality, the Seahawks aren't going to spend more than $2 Mil or so for any OL free agent. I'm saying it here now, we start all 5 guys that ended the 2016 season, in 2017. (For better or worse).
If thats true it would be the downfall of a great team. 2 seasons have gone to waste because the o line gets abused and defense cant make up for it. If pete cant see this and fix it he needs to go, i dont want to watch prime players careers wasted because of stupid decisions like this.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
xgeoff":o1y30k3d said:
Frostee Rucker is a great name. I laugh every time I hear it...

Yeah, Vince Young thought it was pretty funny too.

th

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1bw7677v said:

Sadly, this is all painfully true.

IrishNW

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3zubgqjp said:
Jazzhawk":3zubgqjp said:

Sadly, this is all painfully true.

stay positive. our interior offensive line is going to be very good this next year, just wait :)

Largent80

Reaction score
Chapow":31kuy7hs said:
Largent80":31kuy7hs said:
So spend more money for more stink. Got it.

:34853_doh: No. The idea is not to spend more money and still be just as bad as last year at offensive tackle. The idea is to upgrade the position from really bad to at least competent and if that costs more money, then so be it.

:34853_doh: If money could solve it we would have paid Okung before last year. The fact is he isn't worth what he is asking regardless of what anyone here says and the proof is that he didn't get resigned and that Denver is more than likely not resigning him either.

Oh, and salary cap...ever heard of it?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Can Cable take an experienced tackle and get them to buy in to his system of whiffing on the first block while showcasing awesome athletic skills getting to an unnecessary 2nd level block?

Largent80

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1fn94a2j said:
Can Cable take an experienced tackle and get them to buy in to his system of whiffing on the first block while showcasing awesome athletic skills getting to an unnecessary 2nd level block?

:lol: