For Falcons Fans-Scouting Report on Wilson and Hawks Offense

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I know that as a Seahawks fan, from time to time I frequent the forum pages of the whatever opponent the Seahawks are playing on a given week in order to get information on that team. So, a thought occurred to me -- I know that we've had several Falcons fans who have visited Seahawks.net this week (who are doing exactly what I normally do) -- so thought that I would give those Falcons fans out there a little taste of just who Russell Wilson is and the Seahawks Offense that you'll be seeing tomorrow ...

[Any other Seahawks.net folks who want to chime in -- feel free]

First of all, just who is Russell Wilson? Well, for those of you who really don't know (because you're living under a rock), Wilson slipped to the 3rd Round of the NFL Draft this year basically because of 1 issue -- his height. Wilson is all of 5'10 7/8". That's it -- he has all of the other characteristics of a great QB (great arm strength, very good accuracy (he actually set the NCAA accuracy record in 2011, completing 72.8% of his passes), leadership that just flows out of him [he tilts the room in the words of GM John Schneider], highly intelligent, etc). Because of his lack of height, a great many experts out there were saying that he would never be anything more than a back-up. In short, Wilson has shut those guys up with his play this year. He was the starting QB for the North Carolina State and put up some very impressive numbers there. He graduated in 3 years ... actually was drafted by the Colorado Rockies as a shortstop (and spent some time in their minor league system) ... and then decided to hang that up and return to school. Unfortunately, he couldn't go back to NC State because now they had a new QB. So, he went to Wisconsin for what would be his Senior Season (new school, new system, etc.) ... and within a month of walking on campus was not only the Badgers starting QB ... but was named team captain. He eventually takes the Badgers all the way to the Rose Bowl, but loses a heart breaker to Oregon 45-38.

Anyway, the earliest guy who was "on" Wilson was former NFL coach John Gruden. Check out this NFL ESPN Special of Camp Gruden for yourself (which was done prior to the NFL Draft) which someone loaded on Youtube. You can see the real savvy, intelligence and poise of this guy ...

Camp Gruden -- Russell Wilson (Youtube)

Seahawks GM John Schneider was obviously on him too, saying that out of all the players in college football last year (regardless of position) ... he had Wilson ranked the 3rd Best Player in all of NCAA football. The Hawks played their hunches that he would slip down in the draft (they always had their eye on drafting him) and when he was still there in the 3rd Round -- they nabbed him.

Anyway, long story short -- Wilson absolutely wowed the Seahawks coaching staff in training camp and won the starting QB job. Matt Flynn had been brought in and was projected to be the starter. It's not that Flynn played bad (he didn't) -- Russell just played better and took the job away from him.

For the first several weeks of the season, Pete Carroll and the coaching staff really babied him -- not wanting to "burden" a rookie with too much and to shoulder the responsibility of having to win the game by himself. So, regarding the Seahawks Offense itself -- pay no attention to the fact that the Seahawks ended the season as #27 in Passing Yards/Game. That is attributed to 2 things:

1) The Fact that the Seahawks coaching staff really didn't start taking the reigns off him until really around Week 8 or so.

2) The Seahawks coaching staff (Carroll and Cable in particular) really believe in the idea of running the football FIRST -- ball control offense.

Yes the Seahawks have only passed for 3,031 Yards ... BUT they also finished tied for the 3rd highest Yards/Pass Attempt (8.0 yards/pass attempt) ... 5th in terms of highest Yards/Reception (12.5 yards/reception avg) ... and tied for 8th in passing TD's (27). In other words, they have become a big strike offense that makes the passes they do make count.

And Russell Wilson (over the second half of the season) has become one of the most dangerous QB's in all of football. As Mike Sando pointed out a couple of weeks ago …

Wilson leads the NFL in QBR since Week 10 (84.1) and ranks second to Manning since Week 5 (81.7). He tied Manning's rookie record for touchdown passes with 26 even though Seattle kept its offense under wraps for the first few weeks of the season. His plus-16 margin of touchdowns to interceptions was the best by a rookie in NFL history. Wilson posted an 8-0 starting record at home. He also leads the NFL in QBR on the road since Week 8 and it's not close (92.7 for Wilson, 88.7 for Ryan and 84.7 for Manning). He has 10 total touchdowns and just one turnover on the road over that span. Wilson has five touchdown passes and no picks in his last three road games.
Source:
ESPN.com Mike Sando’s MVP Watch

For those Falcons fans who haven’t actually SEEN him in action, here are some highlights of him from:

The Seahawks Week 6 Win over the Patriots (Good actual game footage, not simply highlights)…
Russell Wilson Highlights vs. Patriots 10/14/12

The Seahawks Week 13 Win over the Bears at Soldier Field
Russell Wilson and Seahawks Highlights vs. Bears 12/2/12

In a word, Wilson’s been amazing. In terms of the Seahawks Offense itself, they utilize a LOT of various offensive schemes so expect to see the Pistol, the Zone Read Option, various elements of the West Coast Offense, and the kitchen sink, as Pete Carroll is anything BUT predictable. A couple of weeks ago during one of the interviews I was listening to, Carroll was practically giddy talking about his experience as the 49ers Defensive Coordinator (1995-1996) -- and that basically cornered Bill Walsh (the godfather of the West Coast Offense), grilling him about the WCO's intracacies and why you do this here, why do you this there, etc.

And Carroll is crazy like a fox -- as I said, highly unpredictable and aggressive. Pete Carroll was on with 710 ESPN’s Brock and Salk after the 49er game on Christmas Eve and gave some fascinating insights not only on the Seahawk Offense … but on his mentality as a coach …

Huard: “… and you watch those plays last night. Those are some of the same plays -- tell me if I’m wrong here. Was the touchdown to Baldwin not the same similar concept as the throw to Charlie Martin Week 1 on the corner route in Arizona? Are they some of the same concepts and plays you’re running?”

Carroll: “Yeah, you’d be surprised how similar those are. I mean, there’s subtleties on how we move stuff around. There’s splits and things like that. But, yeah – had we, we’re so much better now – we would have won the Arizona game. They wouldn’t have been able to keep us out on 3 shots to get in – I mean, there’s just no way. We’re so much more efficient. That’s a great throw by Russell. You know, they’ve got a little combination coverage there on the guys right there. They jumped the heck out of Golden because he’s caught the Chicago touchdown and he caught one – you know, Carolina – caught a couple of those and made some big plays on that route. Which, it’s just a matter of reading it out for the quarterback. And on the combo they wind out inside of the corner route and they couldn’t catch up – he throws a great throw to the back flag – and a great catch, you know. So, that’s just getting better – them improving and understanding – they’ve thrown hundreds of those now. When we used to throw about 10 or 20 of them – now we’ve thrown hundreds, so it makes a difference in our ability to execute.”

Huard: “So in some ways that is the essence of efficiency right?”

Carroll: “We can’t make up new plays week in and week out across the board. There’s just no way. There’s little things that we do – little wrinkles that you put in and stuff, but basically you continue to function with your basic stuff. We’ve run inside-outside zone forever. Those are the same blocking schemes forever and ever and ever and we try to – when the defense breaks down, we make a big play because we’re so consistent. And that’s what makes Tom [Cable] such a big difference on our team because of his commitment to the running game in that fashion. And so, you’re seeing the same plays. You’re seeing the same calls for the most part – with wrinkles and formations and shifts and motions and things to make sure that the opponent doesn’t know that they’re coming.”

Salk: “The fact that you’re running a lot of the same plays and different formations – does that give you some of the time to work on the Pistol and develop that? Does it give you a little extra time?”

Carroll:“Yeah a little bit. A little bit. But we still don’t have that much time. One of the things that you really want to do in football is you want to have things that your opponent knows that you like. You want them to have to stop things because when they have to make their efforts to stop things – they become vulnerable. Until YOU know what you know -- and THEY know what you know – you can’t get to that level. Now that may have been confusing, but that’s really what you WANT people to understand what you’re trying to do – and they try to stop it – and you go ahead and do your things to take advantage of that. So, sometimes you’re not even good enough to get to that point. We are now, so it’s helping us and we’ll continue to grow with good fortune.”

Source:
Pete Carroll on with 710 ESPN’s Brock and Salk – 12/24/12

We've seen flea flickers, passes to Sidney Rice, who then passes downfield to Golden Tate. We've seen vice versa and all manner of interesting wrinkles, reverses, etc. So I'm telling you as Falcons fans -- be ready for anything because it'll probably happen.

In addition, what also makes Wilson so difficult to game plan against is that (like RGIII and Cam Newton) -- he's shown that he can beat you with his legs. I've read some Falcons fans comments this week, saying that you've done well against smaller quicker QB's and I'm telling you -- this guy is not like playing Michael Vick or guys like that. I've watched some of the game film from the Falcons game against the Panthers this year. Basically, just superimpose Russell Wilson over the top of Newton because he does a lot of the same exact things. He plays very much like former Vikings great Fran Tarkenton -- a guy who can cause havoc by scrambling around to buy time for his receivers to get open. I don't care how good a secondary a team has -- you can't cover receivers forever for a QB buys himself the kind of time that he does.

In all honesty, the Seahawks under Carroll are truly on the cutting edge as far as NFL Offenses are concerned and what they do (because they don't do any one thing). IMO, Russell Wilson is one of those guys who will be mentioned among the elite QB's for the next decade or so

In short (LOL this post has been anything but short) the Seahawks Offense over the last half of the season has become an absolute nightmare to game plan against. With the Defensive Coordinators have really struggled on how to game plan against them ... and it's shown. It'll be very interesting for me indeed to see what Mike Nolan rolls out there tomorrow because up until this point, Wilson has shown incredible recognition of what defenses are doing to him ... and doesn't really make foolish rookie mistakes.

As Ron Jaworski said this week, Wilson plays like a 10 year NFL vet -- not a rookie. But then again, I know how good Nolan is in disguising things. So, we'll see how it all goes.

There you go. Just thought I'd give you Falcons fans (who aren't as in the know as we Seahawks fans naturally are) what you're going to be seeing tomorrow.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
seahawksfan4ever":1wuyhiug said:
Awesome overivew. One correction, however....Wilson went to North Carolina State, not UNC.

You're absolutely correct -- big stinky brain fart on my part LOL! For me, that was one of these kinds of moments that I tend to have now from time to time ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Thanks for the heads up on that. Corrected.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Sorry for the blatant bump. Just wanted to give any Falcons Fans who might happen to be lurking around a taste of what they'll see today.

If you guys have any thoughts you'd like to add for those Falcons lurkers regarding Russell Wilson, the Seahawks Offense, etc. ... by all means, feel free.