Football Gameplan's Inside the War Room - Seahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":mjrm29rn said:
Two Ducks? Did JSeahawks help with this? :D

Interesting.

Nope. Because I think Barner is going to suck in the NFL and I would not draft him.

Kiko would make me extremely happy though as he is my very favorite player in the draft. I think he'll be a pro bowler by the time his rookie contract is up.

Erebus

Reaction score
Overall its a good mock, but I disagree with the total number of offensive linemen taken. I expect one or two, and would be a little surprised if they drafted 3. 4 would be a total shocker.

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":b9m8d2fa said:
FlyingGreg":b9m8d2fa said:

Interesting.

Nope. Because I think Barner is going to suck in the NFL and I would not draft him.

Kiko would make me extremely happy though as he is my very favorite player in the draft. I think he'll be a pro bowler by the time his rookie contract is up.

Can we see what a Ducks fan thinks? Didn't you pick against their hoops team...and cling to LaMichonne James eventually playing like a boy?

I like the Mamba. He'd be a great Poor Man's Harvin and return guy.

Throwdown

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3vst1j53 said:
FlyingGreg":3vst1j53 said:

Interesting.

You think Alonso can play OLB, J?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":3w1y6gak said:
JSeahawks":3w1y6gak said:
FlyingGreg":3w1y6gak said:

Interesting.

Can we see what a Ducks fan thinks? Didn't you pick against their hoops team...and cling to LaMichonne James eventually playing like a boy?

I like the Mamba. He'd be a great Poor Man's Harvin and return guy.

PeHawk's dumb ass doesnt even know who The Mamba is. Has lost all credibility as a football fan.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Throwdown":2kggqi2i said:
JSeahawks":2kggqi2i said:
FlyingGreg":2kggqi2i said:

Interesting.

You think Alonso can play OLB, J?

That would be a question more for guys like Kearly and the like who like to break shit down. I just know that he's a hell of a football player, so I dont know any reason he couldnt play on the outside. The Ducks defense is actually a bit similar to the Seahawks. Dion Jordan essentially plays the Leo position although we call it the drop end. So although technically Kiko played inside linebacker, his roll was a lot like our outside linebacker would play when Dion was rushing the passer. He's dumb as a box of rocks (the quality Oregon education!) but he was born to be a football player.

Sacked Russell Wilson twice and intercepted him once in the Rose Bowl.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3qz9irxq said:
First off, very awesome work. It's unusual to see a guy who works the national scope to have such a detailed grasp on each individual club. Your stuff is must read quality.

That mock was very close to a dream mock I entered on draft countdown forum a week or so ago:

1st rd (25): Percy Harvin (trade)
2nd rd (56): Menelik Watson OT
3rd rd (87): Ryan Swope WR
4th rd (123): John Simon DL
5th rd (138): Chris Harper WR
5th rd (158): Brennan Williams OT
6th rd (194): Quanterus Smith DE
7th rd (214): Rufus Johnson DL
7th rd (220): Jelani Jenkins LB
7th rd (231): Abry Jones DT
7th rd (241): Brice Butler WR -> CB
7th rd (242): Luke Marquardt OT

Even got Watson and Marquardt in the exact same round. But I just don't see us taking one guard, let alone 2 when we have 3 that we're still evaluating. The OT depth is a huge problem and while we agreed on OL in Rd. 5, I see it being a OT exclusive draft.

Seattle has established a pretty clear threshold for speed in the LBs we select. This years' LB class is very notoriously slow. I like Collins as a prospect, but I do think that unless he's seen as a competitor/successor to KJ Wright -- I think we end up taking a project with speed in R7.

I'd also concede that getting Swope and Simon at those spots is becoming increasingly unlikely. We'd pretty much need to move those up a full round and even then that may not do it.

It's a good/deep draft for OL/DL, WR and DBs. I can see us getting more than 2 OL and DL each pretty easily. I don't see us skipping WR for 2 straight years (virtually 3 since 2011 netted us Kris Durham).

Awesome work! I still contend that there will be at least 5 players from this draft that make this team. I'd put the over/under on that figure.

And yes, I did realize later, that I have one too many 7th round selections up there.
I'd be happy as hell if we got Swope (fast and a great route runner) and Butler to become a Browner replacement at Corner.
I'm not going to even pretend like I know exactly how the Seahawks war room has drawn up their Draft picks, but I don't have to pretend like they haven't spent a lot of time pareing down for each scenario when the picks are revealed.
I mean, Wagner--in the mix for D-roy consideration in round 2?
AND getting Russell Wilson in round 3 was out and out theivery.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2cglh1fq said:
That would be a question more for guys like Kearly and the like who like to break shit down. I just know that he's a hell of a football player, so I dont know any reason he couldnt play on the outside. The Ducks defense is actually a bit similar to the Seahawks. Dion Jordan essentially plays the Leo position although we call it the drop end. So although technically Kiko played inside linebacker, his roll was a lot like our outside linebacker would play when Dion was rushing the passer. He's dumb as a box of rocks (the quality Oregon education!) but he was born to be a football player.

Sacked Russell Wilson twice and intercepted him once in the Rose Bowl.

You know it's funny the position question came up with Kiko Alonso. When I watch Alonso, he looks out of position at middle linebacker to me. In terms of (lack of) speed, power, instincts and size, he reminds me a lot of KJ Wright. Wright is better though- slightly faster, bigger, longer arms, never misses tackles (Alonso has great instincts but misses a lot). But if I had to say what defines Alonso- it's his power, size, instincts, effort, and aggressiveness. I think he'd make a very nice SAM for some team or maybe an inside linebacker in a 3-4.

Alonso is a going to be a good NFL player but for us I think he'd only really make sense at SAM for Seattle. We already have Wright and now Avril. If Seattle drafted him, I'd be very surprised because all the linebackers they've brought in so far other than Wright have been 4.4-4.5 type guys, and Alonso ran a 4.74 his pro-day, which I basically count as a 4.8 since players almost always run a smidge faster on their own track.

I guess I should rule out Khaseem Greene or Arthur Brown, but I suspect we won't hear a LB get called for us until the late rounds and it will probably be a LB we've never heard of before.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":l0o3lvr8 said:
I suspect we won't hear a LB get called for us until the late rounds and it will probably be a LB we've never heard of before.

I have this vibe too. I'm wondering if Pete doesn't genuinely see some imminent quality from Smith, Morgan and Bradford.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3h1t0lz3 said:
kearly":3h1t0lz3 said:
I suspect we won't hear a LB get called for us until the late rounds and it will probably be a LB we've never heard of before.

I have this vibe too. I'm wondering if Pete doesn't genuinely see some imminent quality from Smith, Morgan and Bradford.

Can't forget Toomer either. Personally, I hope he ends up being the WILL of the future. I think I'd absolutely lose my mind if this team had a Vandal that was a starter and contributor. I have a weird love for the U of I, that few in NYC have or appreciate, and have been a fan of Toomer's since his Vandal days.

As far as drafting an LB in the later rounds that we've never heard of before to add to the competition? My money's on either Jayson Dimanche or Joplo Bartu.

Although, kearly, I still wouldn't be surprised if they go with Arthur Brown in Round 2 or 3 (doubt he lasts that long) just because Pete Carroll and John Schneider almost always get their guy when they've got the chance to. Pete's man love for Arthur Brown is well documented.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":3lh6d6qt said:
Attyla the Hawk":3lh6d6qt said:
kearly":3lh6d6qt said:

Can't forget Toomer either. Personally, I hope he ends up being the WILL of the future. I think I'd absolutely lose my mind if this team had a Vandal that was a starter and contributor.

I could go with that.

But I think it's important to recognize, that the tea leaves have been pretty consistent if you look at them. All of the late round prospects that have turned into contributors (Sweezy, Sherman, Lane, Chancellor, Scruggs, Baldwin*, Wilson, Turbin, Wright, McCoy) -- they all had one thing in common. They were entrusted to play and Pete put them on the field even during their development.

Guys that are inactive or hidden on the practice squad basically haven't stuck at all. I mean really at all. Like zero percent chance. There are a whole host of prospects in that category: Durham, Dexter Davis, EJ Wilson, Konz, Legree, Winston Guy, Toomer and Howard. These are guys that were drafted and not played.

Pete hasn't been very mysterious about this. If you are going to be a player in the future, you are going to get snaps as a raw rookie. I'd say it's a core tenet to his philosophy on developing players because he's done it since his first days at SC.

Doesn't mean someone won't break the cycle. But you know what they say about betting against a streak....

jlwaters1

Reaction score
NYCoug":2pj4my1p said:
Attyla the Hawk":2pj4my1p said:
kearly":2pj4my1p said:

Can't forget Toomer either. Personally, I hope he ends up being the WILL of the future. I think I'd absolutely lose my mind if this team had a Vandal that was a starter and contributor. I have a weird love for the U of I, that few in NYC have or appreciate, and have been a fan of Toomer's since his Vandal days.

As far as drafting an LB in the later rounds that we've never heard of before to add to the competition? My money's on either Jayson Dimanche or Joplo Bartu.

Although, kearly, I still wouldn't be surprised if they go with Arthur Brown in Round 2 or 3 (doubt he lasts that long) just because Pete Carroll and John Schneider almost always get their guy when they've got the chance to. Pete's man love for Arthur Brown is well documented.

I think Toomer would be a terrific WLB. He's super Athletic and was one of the only bright spots on a bad Vandal team in 2011. He's a good blitzer and also covers alot of ground in coverage. Hopefully it all comes together in year 2.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1qto0usl said:
I could go with that.

But I think it's important to recognize, that the tea leaves have been pretty consistent if you look at them. All of the late round prospects that have turned into contributors (Sweezy, Sherman, Lane, Chancellor, Scruggs, Baldwin*, Wilson, Turbin, Wright, McCoy) -- they all had one thing in common. They were entrusted to play and Pete put them on the field even during their development.

Guys that are inactive or hidden on the practice squad basically haven't stuck at all. I mean really at all. Like zero percent chance. There are a whole host of prospects in that category: Durham, Dexter Davis, EJ Wilson, Konz, Legree, Winston Guy, Toomer and Howard. These are guys that were drafted and not played.

Pete hasn't been very mysterious about this. If you are going to be a player in the future, you are going to get snaps as a raw rookie. I'd say it's a core tenet to his philosophy on developing players because he's done it since his first days at SC.

Doesn't mean someone won't break the cycle. But you know what they say about betting against a streak....

Winston Guy definately played this year, though sparingly. He started playing in game one and was phased out, only to play a significant role against Atlanta as a coverage safety.

IIRC Jaye Howard played a handful of snaps in 1-2 games this year. But he was a complete non-factor as you pointed out.

Anthony McCoy in his rookie year did nothing. He was listed with playing in 2 games with no stats. So it can be done. Just not often.

NYCoug

Reaction score
jlwaters1":ul3qlabx said:
I think Toomer would be a terrific WLB. He's super Athletic and was one of the only bright spots on a bad Vandal team in 2011. He's a good blitzer and also covers alot of ground in coverage. Hopefully it all comes together in year 2.

And he played some FB in goal line situations towards the end of his senior season. Scored 3 TD's in a game once vs. Utah State. I only point that out because it'd be great to see a defensive player score on offense against the Niners, seeing as how they love getting their defenders the ball on O. Not that we would want to take Real Rob out of the game in scoring situations, but in garbage time I think it'd be just fine. :th2thumbs:

Toomer's one of the guy's I'm pulling for the most next season.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think the Watson pick is a bit of a miss. Armstead? I could see that. But Watson seems to me to be challenged so athletically in some respects that the Hawks would never pick him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":fqgkvx1i said:
I think the Watson pick is a bit of a miss. Armstead? I could see that. But Watson seems to me to be challenged so athletically in some respects that the Hawks would never pick him.

That's certainly possible. I saw either as a possibility. But I based it on the notion that Seattle typically sets their boards well before the combine, and base it mostly on tape. I think everyone was pretty stunned at Watson's measurable performance and that didn't really jive with how he looked in pads.

I could easily see where the athleticism concerns might cause him to have been moved down the board. It's also well within reason that they simply like Armstead's tape better and always had him pegged above Watson. I'm just somewhat leery of linking a workout warrior to Seattle. Even though Armstead was a solid 2nd/3rd round guy before he blew up the combine. Watson was seen as mostly an early 2nd round guy before tripping over his meat.

I'm not in love with Watson as a prospect. I merely was wanting to illustrate that Seattle might be looking that direction. Armstead could be the guy they like for all I know. Lord knows what we see as grades are pretty much NOT what Pete/John see as grades.

I find it plausible that Seattle double dips on OT though somewhere along this draft. Omiyale I believe is still unsigned, and I wouldn't consider him a lock to be reupped. So getting a depth guy for 2013 and a project would make sense. That plus the fact that OT is pretty loaded this year. For a team with few to no needs, it would also make sense that we partake of the OT bounty.