Inside the Hawks Draft Room

Spohawks

Reaction score
Great write up but an expected one. I have read a hundred draft room articles and they are all the same "We got our top rated guy". I just once want to hear "Yeah we had him ranked 4th, but the other 3 were already picked".

The one extra interesting part was that the Hawks were on the phone to get pick 7, the DE out of OU was on the table, he got picked and then the Hawks hung up. They wanted him!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Interesting. Seahawks seemingly had Cross over Neal. And decided not to risk a trade down at #9 giving us more certainty in the decision to take Cross. Which probably meant there was a sizeable gap between the top 3 tackles and Penning/Smith.

They were looking to trade back into the first round to pick up their pass-rusher and they had likely Ekiebite and Mafe rated higher the JJ3 who some would have took #9. Karfalaftis and Hall were there but Hurtt was obviously pining for 3-4 edge rather than a traditional DE.

The team in whole discussed the Walker III pick and it wasn’t Carroll just going blindly going ham for his running game and the fact that he brought in Waldron to discuss it. Meaning while RB was kind of a low key need they still might have just picked the best player available. There is a possibility some in the room wanted them to pick Lucas with the Walker pick. I wanted Lucas with the Walker pick. They sweated it out and got him at 72.

The most surprising, well not surprising, but very telling is there was no mention of drafting or discussing a QB. Which probably meant they did not grade most of these guys very highly and no point in those 4 picks were they really worried or challenged about taking a QB in this class.
Even at 72, with every single QB besides Pickett still up for grabs, it was pretty unanimous to take Lucas.