Final 4 NFL Teams do not have...

ivotuk

Reaction score
Defensive Head coaches.

Chiefs: Offensive Head Coach
Ravens: Special Teams Coach (familiar with all of the players)

49ers: Offensive Head Coach
Detroit Lions: Offensive Head Coach

Dan Campbell is an American football coach and a former tight end who is currently the head coach for the Detroit Lions
He served as the assistant head coach and tight ends coach for the New Orleans Saints from 2016 to 2020
Dan served as an assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins from 2010 to 2015, most recently as the interim head coach and tight ends coach

Sheil Kapadia claims that the defensive options (except for Mike McDonald) have not been showing out well lately

I'm all for Mike McDonald or Ben Johnson.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Defensive Head coaches.

Chiefs: Offensive Head Coach
Ravens: Special Teams Coach (familiar with all of the players)

49ers: Offensive Head Coach
Detroit Lions: Offensive Head Coach

Dan Campbell is an American football coach and a former tight end who is currently the head coach for the Detroit Lions
He served as the assistant head coach and tight ends coach for the New Orleans Saints from 2016 to 2020
Dan served as an assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins from 2010 to 2015, most recently as the interim head coach and tight ends coach

Sheil Kapadia claims that the defensive options (except for Mike McDonald) have not been showing out well lately

I'm all for Mike McDonald or Ben Johnson.
Well, the counter to that argument is that a solid majority of NFL head coaches have an offensive background, so it's not a mathematical oddity that the 4 teams in the conference championship games are led by offensive HC's. If they were roughly equal, ie 16 offensive coaches vs. 16 defensive, then you'd have something.

But I agree with your point, which is why if all factors are equal, I'd hire the offensive HC vs. a defensive one.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Well, the counter to that argument is that a solid majority of NFL head coaches have an offensive background, so it's not a mathematical oddity that the 4 teams in the conference championship games are led by offensive HC's. If they were roughly equal, ie 16 offensive coaches vs. 16 defensive, then you'd have something.

But I agree with your point, which is why if all factors are equal, I'd hire the offensive HC vs. a defensive one.
It was like the talk going around that Dan Quinn doesn't do well and record isn't great against top QBs.

Well, 'duh'. go over the records of all DCs against good QBs. Probably isn't as good either.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
All it's going to take is for one defensive head coach to come out of the gate hard and heavy, and the trend will change.

And it'll happen soon, because there's a serious market inefficiency brewing where great defensive coaches will start getting passed up for middling OCs.

knownone

Reaction score
Wouldn't John Harbaugh disprove the idea that HC specialization matters? He's neither offense nor defense, yet his teams continue to win.

themunn

Reaction score
Harbaugh should have been sacked years ago - having only won a superbowl back in 2012 and a 2-5 playoff record since (prior to this year), having never made a championship game in that time.

Clearly the Ravens are going nowhere, why stick with a coach whose message has clearly gone stale

seahawks08

Reaction score
I feel Pete and Harbaugh have same philosophies in many ways, sometimes you never get the opportunity to make it real. We built a system around Russ and they around Lamar. It’s generally hard to beat Josh Allen, Mahomes and Burrow who are generational talent. Harbaugh brought someone who could spark and scheme the defense. We never could for some reason. Our defense never got resurrected.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
All it's going to take is for one defensive head coach to come out of the gate hard and heavy, and the trend will change.

And it'll happen soon, because there's a serious market inefficiency brewing where great defensive coaches will start getting passed up for middling OCs.

The problem with that is the league will buck that trend sooner than later. It's entertainment. They want points scored and they'll do what they need to do to make that happen. While I love a good old fashioned slobber knocker of a game that ends up 6-3 as much as the next guy, that's not what the general public wants to see.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Harbaugh should have been sacked years ago - having only won a superbowl back in 2012 and a 2-5 playoff record since (prior to this year), having never made a championship game in that time.

Clearly the Ravens are going nowhere, why stick with a coach whose message has clearly gone stale

Harbaugh is still 13 years younger than Pete and in that time between his Super Bowl win and now he has acquired an MVP QB and built a beastly defense. Pete's team had a perennial backup QB with no QBOTF waiting in the wings and one of the worst defenses in the league between his last Super Bowl win and now. I'd say there's a major difference there.

Latest posts