Fans trying to pay Marshawn's fine

Rob12

Reaction score
Man. If you're a Seahawk, how could you ever want to leave this place? The loyalty is insane.

Good job, 12's.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Maybe the 12's would really get Roger's attention by starting a fund to pay the fines for Seahawk defenders who deliver illegal hits. Like a fan driven bounty gate. After all, it all goes to charity, right?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Seahawkx":3ugzrws9 said:
This is the dumbest thing ever. He is the heart of this team, but he needs to mature up and talk to the media as required. That's selfish on his behalf. The fine is deserving!

Now if he would of been fined for beating the s*** of an opponent who took a cheap shot at RW or something, I would be the first one donating to pay of that fine.
Why does he have to give interviews? In a court of law you don't have to speak? So why do you have to for the NFL . He has a right not to say anything. I don't remember Denver Oline doing interviews and were blatant about that fact . No fines I can remember for them.

dunceface

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2mh827tx said:
Maybe the 12's would really get Roger's attention by starting a fund to pay the fines for Seahawk defenders who deliver illegal hits. Like a fan driven bounty gate. After all, it all goes to charity, right?

I'm in!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
hawkfannj":kfovbaex said:
Why does he have to give interviews? In a court of law you don't have to speak? So why do you have to for the NFL . He has a right not to say anything. I don't remember Denver Oline doing interviews and were blatant about that fact . No fines I can remember for them.

Free Constitutional law / civil procedure lesson to answer your questions:

The 5th Amendment, to which I assume you refer, gives all accused persons the right to not be forced to testify against themselves in a criminal trial: IE they cannot be called as a witness by the prosecution and do not have testify at all. However, should you ever receive a subpoena to produce records or appear in court in a case in which you are not a criminal defendant, you could be held in contempt of court if you fail to comply.

The NFL on the other hand, is a private entity, and is permitted to set rules and consequences for its employees. Further, the Player's Union has either agreed to this rule or explicitly in the CBA or has agreed to a "management rights" clause allowing the NFL to make the rule. So, no, he does not have the right to not say anything. This is not a constitutional law / civil rights issue.

SDHawk

Reaction score
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83144&start=0

^ This is a far better cause.

Not only is it more transparent (doesn't go through NFL), every dollar you donate is actually leveraged 3x because of a pledge by an anonymous 9er fan to match each dollar to both UCSF and Seattle Childrens.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":pazh6quu said:
hawkfannj":pazh6quu said:

The 5th Amendment, to which I assume you refer, gives all accused persons the right to not be forced to testify against themselves in a criminal trial: IE they cannot be called as a witness by the prosecution and do not have testify at all. However, should you ever receive a subpoena to produce records or appear in court in a case in which you are not a criminal defendant, you could be held in contempt of court if you fail to comply.

The NFL on the other hand, is a private entity, and is permitted to set rules and consequences for its employees. Further, the Player's Union has either agreed to this rule or explicitly in the CBA or has agreed to a "management rights" clause allowing the NFL to make the rule. So, no, he does not have the right to not say anything. This is not a constitutional law / civil rights issue.
Well that about covers it I guess . Still did Denver's Oline ever get fined ? I would like to know that tad bit . Cause as we all can remember they were in your face we don't talk to the media yada yada yada.
Is its the old CBA vrs the new CBA type thing?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
hawkfannj":1s2ljo2b said:
Missing_Clink":1s2ljo2b said:
hawkfannj":1s2ljo2b said:

Well that about covers it I guess . Still did Denver's Oline ever get fined ? I would like to know that tad bit . Cause as we all can remember they were in your face we don't talk to the media yada yada yada.
Is its the old CBA vrs the new CBA type thing?

Yea that is a good question. I have no idea how many players COULD be fined for not speaking to media versus how many actually are, and how much $. I don't think anyone has ever heard of a $50k fine for breaking this rule. I'm guessing Marshawn got plenty of warnings before it came to this though.

Working in labor law myself, I can tell you that selective enforcement of rules by the employer is a constant thorn in the side of union members. Pretty much SOP for a big employer

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
$50,000 is peanuts to Marshawn, it's probably worth the fine to not have to do all the interviews. He's a big boy, he knows what he's doing.

His salary was 7 million for the year, not counting endorsement (Beacon Plumbing and whatever else)

That's a whooping 0.7% of his salary, say to a normal person making $40,000 a year... that's like $280.

I'd easily pay 0.7% of my salary to get out of something I hated about my job for a year.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
dunceface":okevnvq5 said:
Scottemojo":okevnvq5 said:

I'm in!

+1

hyrailyn

Reaction score
I would simply stand at the microphone and answer EVERY single question... " I don't know". Eventually the press would get the point and quit asking for interviews. Not sure the NFL policy requires the player to provide a more in depth answer to the questions.