Nice writeup about Spoon - some interesting PC comments

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

After the stupid contract holdout and not starting - I was worried about this cat - and have said as much several times.

Two things: small sample - but in the article mentions that he's beating Sauce's completion rate by a pretty good margin.

I also love the comparison to Polamalu by PC. And PC should know.

Wow - working out so much better than I thought!

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
DB's are my enigma.

Seahawk's seem to have more top end talent at the DB position than any other team in the league. Yet, they are still giving up more yardage than just about any other team in the league right now.

Screenshot 2023 09 27 120959

Inexperience? Scheme? Injuries? This group doesn't fit together well? More bump-and-run is needed?

Respect your post, and not trying to rain on your parade CalgaryFan05, but I think most of us expected a whole lot better success rate in the defensive passing game this season. I'm just not seeing it.

I'm only asking... What the hell is wrong with this group?

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
If you ask Fade, I'm fairly sure the response would be Hurtt.

But Adams triumphant return will fix all that this week ;) <sarcasm off>

I'm not worried about 'that' in this case. I'm just happy that one that looked very much like having prima donna potential is workin out. I like the stuff he says too. The rest will come.....

To your point and I haven't snagged video or highlights or 'reasons' for it yet - but Dre'mont being largely MIA (at least in my eyes) is a big letdown.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is the NFL every player is good, those guys on the other side of the ball get paid also. No DB can hold up without pressure on the QB, if we play off zone then the offense with no pressure can check off routes and adapt at will and a seasoned good QB will find them all day, Rams game is a good example, unknown wide outs running all over us since Stafford had all day, they could change their routes based on our formation and were hit time and again.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's a combination of availability, injury, getting used to playing with one another, being a young team...I expect those numbers to improve as the season wears on. Having said that, I am simply not sold on Hurtt. Seems to be a Norton JR Version 2.0.

morgulon1

Reaction score
DB's are my enigma.

Seahawk's seem to have more top end talent at the DB position than any other team in the league. Yet, they are still giving up more yardage than just about any other team in the league right now.

View attachment 60845

Inexperience? Scheme? Injuries? This group doesn't fit together well? More bump-and-run is needed?

Respect your post, and not trying to rain on your parade CalgaryFan05, but I think most of us expected a whole lot better success rate in the defensive passing game this season. I'm just not seeing it.

What's missing? Jamal Adams , Tariq Woolen , Tre Brown. They've only played a couple of times together.

Add the fact teams aren't able to run so they have to pass all game . Opponents are going to get yards with the offense friendly NFL.

nanomoz

Reaction score
The answer to the question is an inffective pass rush. Even though they landed some pressures and sacks the last couple of weeks, the opposing QB usually has ages to get rid of the ball. No amount of talent in a secondary can cover people for more than a few seconds. It seems like they're selling out to stop the run, and the pass rush is late getting there because of it. There's certainly depth and talent at edge/OLB.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
As Chris and Nano have said: ineffective pass rush. The LOB was so good because they had talent in the secondary AND a good pass rush.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The pass rush is a big reason, but the comparative stats after three games are highly volatile and affected by who we played in those three games; accurate veteran QBs that can pick you apart if given the time. Note that our run defense is top 3 right now and that's related. Our next six matchups are against Jones, Burrow, Dobbs, Watson, Jackson and Howell. The comparative numbers will look very different after that stretch.

Not having Woolen is also an issue if you're looking at comparative numbers. The Dolphins are missing Ramsey, but that's the only team I'm aware of that also started off without their best corner.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score

I'm not worried about 'that' in this case. I'm just happy that one that looked very much like having prima donna potential is workin out. I like the stuff he says too. The rest will come.....

To your point and I haven't snagged video or highlights or 'reasons' for it yet - but Dre'mont being largely MIA (at least in my eyes) is a big letdown.

CalgaryFan05 - Thanks for your cognitively great reply!

Clint Hurtt: I'm a little on the fence right now myself. Do you like him better as the current Defensive Coordinator, or did I like him better as the former Defensive Line Coach?

Jamal Adams: This is another position where I am still on the fence waiting to see if the acquisition ever becomes all that fruitful or not. Fortunately, the Julian Love pick up seems to be fixing a lot of the team's Missed Tackles issues, and I believe he was supposed to be part of that three safety defense that we really have not seen yet (Diggs, Adams, Love). Jury still out?

Dre'Mont Jones: He's never been that Speed Rusher that can get double digit sacks in any given season, but more of a complete player at the Defensive End position. This is a position where the Seahawk's paid for a Speed Pass Rusher in dollars, and did not get one. Case in point...

Screenshot 2023 09 28 084712
Dre'Mont Jones looks to be about a 5.5 sack per year guy to me. His pressure rate I could not find, probably on some pay-for-stats site, but I do like his tackle numbers.

Cost
This seems like the front office is overspending to me, but when forced to change an entire defensive line to fit a new scheme, at least they lured him away from Denver. I dunno, good acquisition in the end?

There seems to be a lot of, "Chicken or the Egg" philosophy in building a defense. Meaning, do you build an attacking defense, or do you build a defense to protect a points lead that your offense established?

Right now I don't see this defense in attack mode much at all (maybe Adams changes that some). What I am seeing is a defense designed to protect a points lead, and that is hard to do when the defensive secondary has giving up the second most yardage in all of football so far this season.

Last thought, I believe that the rookie Mike Morris ending up on the IR hurt the DE rotation more than most people might think. That kid won awards in college, and maybe could have pushed Dre Jones some.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
CalgaryFan05 - Thanks for your cognitively great reply!

Clint Hurtt: I'm a little on the fence right now myself. Do you like him better as the current Defensive Coordinator, or did I like him better as the former Defensive Line Coach?

Jamal Adams: This is another position where I am still on the fence waiting to see if the acquisition ever becomes all that fruitful or not. Fortunately, the Julian Love pick up seems to be fixing a lot of the team's Missed Tackles issues, and I believe he was supposed to be part of that three safety defense that we really have not seen yet (Diggs, Adams, Love). Jury still out?

Dre'Mont Jones: He's never been that Speed Rusher that can get double digit sacks in any given season, but more of a complete player at the Defensive End position. This is a position where the Seahawk's paid for a Speed Pass Rusher in dollars, and did not get one. Case in point...

Dre'Mont Jones looks to be about a 5.5 sack per year guy to me. His pressure rate I could not find, probably on some pay-for-stats site, but I do like his tackle numbers.

This seems like the front office is overspending to me, but when forced to change an entire defensive line to fit a new scheme, at least they lured him away from Denver. I dunno, good acquisition in the end?

There seems to be a lot of, "Chicken or the Egg" philosophy in building a defense. Meaning, do you build an attacking defense, or do you build a defense to protect a points lead that your offense established?

Right now I don't see this defense in attack mode much at all (maybe Adams changes that some). What I am seeing is a defense designed to protect a points lead, and that is hard to do when the defensive secondary has giving up the second most yardage in all of football so far this season.

Last thought, I believe that the rookie Mike Morris ending up on the IR hurt the DE rotation more than most people might think. That kid won awards in college, and maybe could have pushed Dre Jones some.
Thanks for the stats. I hadn't done my homework on Dre'Mont - and I just assumed for the $ that he had Bennett type of numbers. I was wrong!

Well, if you take the 'build from the back' approach that I've generally gleaned PC uses when building the defense - It's gonna be a protect the lead typa thing in the two options that you've mentioned.

Brown being out sucked - he was a beast a couple games ago. Hopefully, when the band comes back together here, and Mr. Glass/Adams shows up - we'll be a little more attack-ey.

At least Spoon's showing up is gonna help things overall. IMO.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Thanks for the stats. I hadn't done my homework on Dre'Mont - and I just assumed for the $ that he had Bennett type of numbers. I was wrong!

Well, if you take the 'build from the back' approach that I've generally gleaned PC uses when building the defense - It's gonna be a protect the lead typa thing in the two options that you've mentioned.

Brown being out sucked - he was a beast a couple games ago. Hopefully, when the band comes back together here, and Mr. Glass/Adams shows up - we'll be a little more attack-ey.

At least Spoon's showing up is gonna help things overall. IMO.
Witherspoon, Woolen, and Brown all on the field at the same time?
That would be a real threat to opposing quarterbacks.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
All new parts, new defense, give it time.

Yeah I think Hurtt gets maligned quite a bit. Maybe it's deserved. Maybe it's not.

I think this year if the defense continues to under perform, maybe time for a new DC. However, talent does make a DC look good, sometimes better than they actually are.

I do miss the days of Dan Quinn as DC though.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
To the original topic,

2 games is a really small sample size for Spoon. Remember, Aaron Curry looked good in his first few starts too. Let's see Spoon play an entire season. I hope he brings the swagger that the defense needs but time will tell.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I do miss the days of Dan Quinn as DC though.

Me too. Everytime they show him during a cowboys game I'm like a kid at a pet store with my face against the glass looking at the cute puppy.

Dude! Come back! ;)

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
To the original topic,

2 games is a really small sample size for Spoon. Remember, Aaron Curry looked good in his first few starts too. Let's see Spoon play an entire season. I hope he brings the swagger that the defense needs but time will tell.
I agree. It is a small sample and I included that -

Just hope it keeps goin!

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I agree. It is a small sample and I included that -

Just hope it keeps goin!
Same. I hope he pans out and we're all happy with the pick. It was a premium pick too. If 2-3 years from today, there is a re-draft of this year's draft, and Spoon goes top 15, I'd be good with that.