Enthusiasm…dissipation

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Did Michael Jordon ever play for a controlling, defensive-minded coach whose philosophy was the antithesis of MJs strengths and talent? Nope.
This is the point I've presented.

Patrick Mahomes is mentioned often, and the Chief's coaching staff play to his strengths, and he will continue to thrive in this environment for many years. Again, when contrasted with PC, where you get a frustrated QB, constrained by said philosopy.

We've all seen the shoot-outs happen on those increasingly rare occasions; RW vs Deshaun Watson, RW vs Patrick Mahomes.
Russell Wilson outdueled both of them.
I'm mind blown that people still cling to a fantasy that Russ was held back by Pete Carroll. Pete basically sold his soul to Russell Wilson to the apparent irritation of many of the players who were on one of the greatest defenses ever assembled.

I'm amazed this has to be said: Pete did not hold Russell back. Pete gave Russ the absolute BEST possible situation to succeed. Pete gave Russ the type of opportunity that essentially no other head coach in the NFL would have (have we already forgotten what the consensus was when Pete and John drafted him?). He tailored his offense around Russ's strength and limited his liabilities and responsibility.

If Pete didn't give Russ that opportunity, there is a significant chance he becomes a frustrated backup QB who keeps failing to execute the 'basics of the position' that a number of other head coaches would have actually expected him to do. Russ flourished under Pete exactly because he was open to Russ doing things differently.

The only reason Russ became frustrated is because Russ thinks he's on the same level as Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers and he's not. Russ IS best as a Pete-Ball QB. That IS Russ's strength. The reason he got frustrated is because he is the one who doesn't want an offense tailored to his strengths, he wants an offense tailored to get him on SportsCenter.

And there is no decent head coach on the planet who should sacrifice his team's success to placate someone's MVP fantasies.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Russ was our shadow HC, he owned Carroll, when Carroll and Schotty pushed back ... remember Russ stormed out of the room?

Neither am I, he was Geno WHO to me until the last few week after I read up on his recent game logs. All I want is for 12s on dot net give the guy a chance, Geno played better in the past 6.5 games than he ever did.

0-17 is still possible, if our defense regress from last year, and Geno reverted back to the old Geno the turnover machine Smith.
Yeah, I remember Russ acting like he was a shadow HC, which was big issue we had last year. Our biggest issue on offense was a QB who wanted to do his own thing which typically meant a historically terrible offensive time of possession. He was literally handicapping our defense while he did what 'always worked' for him only it stopped working.

As for Geno, I'm simply open to giving him a chance. Again, without any strong feelings based on his college and New York years (which, while helpful, are probably not as predictive as he's looked in his outings with OUR team), he looks fine. The idea that 0-17 is a possibility just based on the switch from Russ to Geno seems so far outside the realm of a reasonable analysis as is possible.

My prediction for this team is a record at least as good as last year. Will I be wrong? Maybe. I'll have some positive things to look forward to either way. (If we're better, yay! Watching the games won't suck as much as last year. If we're worse, better draft position. If we're exactly the same? Hilarious because that makes it look like losing Russ mattered not at all).

Here is the thing that myself and a lot of folks who aren't as down on this situation recognize: Russ as a talent is MUCH better than Geno. But that's in a vacuum. In a real NFL game, Russ has to do things like, you know, execute an actual game plan and take advantage of teams that are focusing their defense on taking away the things he likes to do and does extremely well. Russ the past season-and-a-half-plus wasn't doing that and I expect Geno will at least attempt to.

toffee

Reaction score
As for Geno, I'm simply open to giving him a chance. Again, without any strong feelings based on his college and New York years (which, while helpful, are probably not as predictive as he's looked in his outings with OUR team), he looks fine. The idea that 0-17 is a possibility just based on the switch from Russ to Geno seems so far outside the realm of a reasonable analysis as is possible.
Geno had two problems, turnovers and lack of poise. In his recent games, he took care of the football, turnover was no long an issue; but his performance under stress was still lacking. There's no evidence to show that he could win too many tight games or led last minute comebacks.
My prediction for this team is a record at least as good as last year. Will I be wrong? Maybe. I'll have some positive things to look forward to either way. (If we're better, yay! Watching the games won't suck as much as last year. If we're worse, better draft position. If we're exactly the same? Hilarious because that makes it look like losing Russ mattered not at all).
Pete's job may be gone his our defense regresses, but we are playing a new system with bunch of rookies and new players, it may take 8-10 games for stuff to settle down.
Here is the thing that myself and a lot of folks who aren't as down on this situation recognize: Russ as a talent is MUCH better than Geno. But that's in a vacuum. In a real NFL game, Russ has to do things like, you know, execute an actual game plan and take advantage of teams that are focusing their defense on taking away the things he likes to do and does extremely well. Russ the past season-and-a-half-plus wasn't doing that and I expect Geno will at least attempt to.
Russ was on his quest to win MVP, rest wasn't irrelevant to him. Period.

flv2

Reaction score
Wilson is WAY better, not even close. A more intriguing question would be: Could Joe Flacco led '13 and '14 Hawks to Super Bowl? umm. They both own one ring, Flacco was superbowl MVP which to Russ, is to dead for. Flacco is taller, more nimble (based on their 3 cones, Russ 6.97 sec, Flacco 6.82 sec), but Flacco didn't know how or could run circles.

View attachment 54366
Of course Wilson is better. It wasn't a serious question. I just wanted to see where someone judging QBs by Super Bowl wins and appearances would take the conversation. The next comparison I would have asked about was Eli Manning.

For the record I would put Wilson ahead of Aikman. (I think most fans would).

toffee

Reaction score
Of course Wilson is better. It wasn't a serious question. I just wanted to see where someone judging QBs by Super Bowl wins and appearances would take the conversation. The next comparison I would have asked about was Eli Manning.

For the record I would put Wilson ahead of Aikman. (I think most fans would).
True, talent and skill wise, Wilson is quite incomparable. Aikman was part of the so call Cowboy triplet, somehow I think Russ wants all the limelight shining on him, being part of whatever plet just isn't Russ.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember Russ acting like he was a shadow HC, which was big issue we had last year. Our biggest issue on offense was a QB who wanted to do his own thing which typically meant a historically terrible offensive time of possession. He was literally handicapping our defense while he did what 'always worked' for him only it stopped working.

YEP, Wilson QUIT on the Seahawks in the last couple years, Nuff Said.
IF we don't do as well without him, I DON'T CARE, I deplore Self Serving PHONIES.

Latest posts