Enthusiasm…dissipation

GemCity

Reaction score
There were a lot of folks geeked when we traded you know who. Lots of banter about how Geno ran things smoother and how much better the team would be.

Drew Lock support? Check!

Retooling…not rebuilding!!

The tone has shifted.

I don’t take much out of preseason and I imagine most of you are the same way. With that said, what’s changed?

If anything, Geno has looked way better than I thought he would. Lock is still getting comfortable in a new system.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
There were a lot of folks geeked when we traded you know who. Lots of banter about how Geno ran things smoother and how much better the team would be.

The tone has shifted.

I don’t take much out of preseason and I imagine most of you are the same way. With that said, what’s changed?

If anything, Geno has looked way better than I thought he would. Lock is still getting comfortable in a new system.
I really think the folks who were geeked, myself included, were geeked for the coming years moreso than 2022.

I'm known as Geno's biggest defender, and even I have the post history to back up my assertion that he absolutely is not long-term starter material.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Geno‘s ceiling is being mediocre.
Lock‘s ceiling is unknown.

I’m not sure I have seen a decision so deflate a fan base as choosing Geno as a starter. While Lock may also be mediocre and certainly did not play well in the preseason at least there was the thought that he might have some potential to exceed expectations.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

The tone has shifted.

Whose tone has changed? Many are being realistic but hopeful. Expectations based upon limited information and presumptions are guarded. Certainly some are all doom and gloom, but that for the most part has always been the case for those who have a negative perspective on things.

Everyone has built the narrative in how they see the season play out, but no one knows until the games are played. I for one am really looking forward to the process - win or lose. I believe in the team - the coaches, management and the players.

This year will be great as long as we are competitive, we steal some wins that we're not expected to and Geno, Drew or QB-X plays beyond the narratives that each of us have created for them.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
This team will not score points with Geno at QB. It won't be a fun season when we have the lowest scoring average in all the NFL.
As long as the other teams are also not scoring much, I think it is fun.

I enjoy the low scoring defensive battles of will. I may get tired if we see 17 games like that but if we're actually winning that way it would be fun regardless.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Geno‘s ceiling is being mediocre.
Lock‘s ceiling is unknown.

I’m not sure I have seen a decision so deflate a fan base as choosing Geno as a starter. While Lock may also be mediocre and certainly did not play well in the preseason at least there was the thought that he might have some potential to exceed expectations.
I understand your opinions which seem to be largely based upon limited recent information from training camp, limited preseason action, and the 3+ games from last year.

Will you not watch games assuming your belief is correct? Or will you watch to confirm you beliefs? Why are you so certain about Geno's ceiling?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'm always excited and disappointed when the cuts are made. Same thing this year. I expected Swain was a possible, if not likely, victim, but I really hated to see Blaire go. He's been hurt for two years, I get that. But his upside is so great and I liked the idea to play him and Diggs back with Adams free to roam. But it is what is is. I'm looking forward to seeing what our guys can do.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Our offensive line is off the charts better, cb situation seems to be under control, we are MUCH BETTER than we were last year in terms of players. W/L record not so much...who cares we are on the way back, rebuilds usually take longer but between this year and next we will be back in contention.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
It was time to move on, Carlton needed to go do his thing.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just have this overriding feeling this team is building a nucleus to put us back on track to be perennial playoff contenders again. I am over the moon about this past draft, and some of the players from the past two drafts as well. Sure, it's easy to get stuck on not having a franchise QB and all the potential ineptitude that can come from that (The win column will suffer) but I personally feel extremely positive that JS/PC are rebuilding (yep I said it) the right way. Hungry up-and-comers, potential pro bowl if not elite players in spots, the OL looks to potentially be the best unit in a DECADE or more...

For me, the plan all along was to ride with Smith and/or Lock, do what you can do, see where the chips fall, and with all that intense draft equity next April, slide up to whatever position you need to and snag the kid you think has the best chance to be our next franchise quarterback.

No guarantees of course as we all know, but it's exciting to think lightning just might strike twice.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Come on Welsher's, stick with your team thru thick and thin. But you're right, should be a lot of THIN this year :)
I'll still enjoy the season, frustrating or not.

keasley45

Reaction score

The tone has shifted.

I'm still as content as I was when the move happened. I think some here try to make this a win/lose, right/wrong, '(vs)' situation, when it's not.

In terms of the QB position, it's been the opinion of many that we don't NEED the heroic football play from the QB position to be successful. We had that and had obviously reached our ceiling as the last 4 years showed. Kurt Warner said as much when critiquing the failures of our passing attack. You absolutley need sound QB play from the position... good decision making leadership, accuracy and some talent. But we tend to forget that when we won our first superbowl, we did so with a game manager at qb. Albeit with a penchant and talent for the spectacular, but our QB was managed toward success. He absolutely brought an X factor that had to be accounted for, but for the most part, the QB was asked to run the offense. And the defense and running game were the backstop when that offense struggled through the air.

The QB for 2022 will again be asked to just run the offense. And what will be different is that we may see surprising results from the position if we can keep him clean. Geno has shown an ability to make decent reads, he has a good arm, and has shown the ability to make some fairly challenging throws to areas of the field and to routes we haven't had success running before.

That all might go out the window if he gets rattled, loses composure, and begins to slump. That's the thing you could be sure Russ wouldn't do. You might have to work with a reduced playbook, but Russ would somehow find a way to make something happen . The OC didnt even have to send a play in and Russ could probably make some stuff up that would result in a highlight. I don't think Geno has that gene. And if he does, he hasn't shown it yet, but for a quarter of play against the Rams.

But regardless, for this team to get to a point where we can get the benefits of what a QB like Geno can do in terms of pass distribution, making reads and getting the right adjustments set ( all things that are NECESSARY to achieve ultimate success without the benefit of an 'eraser ' D and punishing running game), but with more talent, upside, and a knack for a game changer, we had to move on and position ourselves to get that dude.

The fact that we don't have that guy yet (Lock still needs time and Geno was never expected to be that) is less important than getting on the road to that place. We weren't gonna do that with Russ. We aren't going to do it with Geno. Lock might not mature enough to ever get a shot. But that doesn't mean we can't be competitive..

Every year, there are playoff teams that are captained by non-elite qbs. Whether or not that kind of guy can do more than just get you to the dance is immaterial. Can Geno? Sure. Until he starts playing like 2014 Geno, I'll maintain we can have a solid season. But no one on the forum who was pro Geno or Pro Lock thought we were going to the Superbowl this year. Happy that we made the switch from Russ and confident we don't have to all of a sudden be competing for a TOP 10 draft pick? Sure. Confident that thr offense can run with a manager? Sure. But I don't see anyone drowning in their beer after watching the preseason and thinking that deep playoff run is a pipe dream now.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Pete should have labeled it a rebuild at the outset. I understand not wanting to acknowledge that at his age and with so many years of relative success.

But the fallout of telling people over and over again that this team is going to be competitive could form the rope if this team wins three games or something.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Pete should have labeled it a rebuild at the outset. I understand not wanting to acknowledge that at his age and with so many years of relative success.

But the fallout of telling people over and over again that this team is going to be competitive could form the rope if this team wins three games or something.
Maybe, just maybe... Pete knows more about the situation than you do...??

nanomoz

Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe... Pete knows more about the situation than you do...??
So, you're saying this is going to be a good team? You want to edge out on that ledge? If so, you're the one making fantastic claims. Not me.

It's much more likely that he couldn't publicly acknowledge the situation. Whether it be ego, appeasing ownership, denial, etc.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Who cares what the FO's moves are termed? I've never understood fans needing it called something... A "rebuild"? Why do you need it called that specifically, to sooth hurt fan feelings or something? The FO will do what it takes to field the best team for the future, maybe well beyond this season's record. They don't want to lose, regardless of what are the fans' often ignorant opinions. (ignorant here meant only as "not knowing the whole story")

To the OP topic, the downers on this site are frequent posters, some are brash and rather demeaning, and often loud in their disapproval of the current FO moves. The posters with more hope and nuanced expectations for this season often decide to let the pessimists do their thing, and just quit posting; it's not worth the effort and hassle to try and talk football while attempting to wade through so much opinion-mire.

Last edited:

Latest posts