Enthusiasm…dissipation

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We are probably going to be at or near .500.

We won't be terrible. (Even though that would help us.)

sc85sis

Reaction score
Do I seriously need to link things he said from 2010 to 2012 about building the roster, getting younger, getting faster, etc.?

C'mon people.
But everyone knew that team needed a rebuild because they'd only won nine games in two years. This team won 7 games last year, and that was the first losing season since 2011. That's not exactly the same scenario.

SeahawkShifty

Reaction score
I understand your opinions which seem to be largely based upon limited recent information from training camp, limited preseason action, and the 3+ games from last year.

Will you not watch games assuming your belief is correct? Or will you watch to confirm you beliefs? Why are you so certain about Geno's ceiling?
I think that anyone who is not confident in Geno's skills is basing alot on what they've seen this preseason as well as his time as a full time starter in the NFL previously. A time in which his potential was through the roof, but since then he's not progressed to a level that most fans believe that he already should have . They believe... as do I, that he's shown as much as he's going to show & as such we're not going to win with him much & frankly knowing that's what we're in for, we're just hopeful but realistic that this season is gonna be a wash

toffee

Reaction score
Geno‘s ceiling is being mediocre.
Lock‘s ceiling is unknown.

I’m not sure I have seen a decision so deflate a fan base as choosing Geno as a starter. While Lock may also be mediocre and certainly did not play well in the preseason at least there was the thought that he might have some potential to exceed expectations.
There certain are enough talk about Lock's potential or at least more potential than Geno, I sure have read enough of it from national experts and members on this forum although I couldn't find anything to back that up. Please share if you have.

Physical tools wise, Geno is quicker, and more athletic, see combine score below. Track record wise, both sucked when they were presented with opportunities as starter. But Geno's recent games at least gave us some hope that he has turned the corner and remake his game as a game manager. "IF" Geno can play at the level of his last 6.5 games, his stats will be similar or better than JimmyG's of 2021 when Jimmy powered his team to NFC conference championship round.

Lock, one couldn't find anything to backup the optimisms, except that he is younger.

Russell WilsonGeno SmithDrew LockSean MannionTom Brady
Height5'10"6'25"6'35"6'56"6'45"
Weight204218228229211
Arm length3132.532.533.532.75
Hand Size10.259.28999.38
Wingspan7677.2580
40 yard dash4.534.584.695.145.3
40 yard mph18.0617.8617.4415.9215.44
20 yard split2.632.692.743.032.99
10 yard split1.551.621.611.871.77
QB ball velocity555557
Wonderlic28244033
Vertical leap3433.53124.5
broad jump
20 yard shuttle4.094.124.394.28
3 cones6.977.037.297.2

Geno's 2021 season grade by PFF, he was graded the same as Russ and within one point from JimmyG. Geno's passer rating (131) was higher Russ's (111) when both had clean pocket. Geno's game sucked under pressure (26.5) while Russ excelled (85.1). I think or I hope Geno will play at JimmyG's level for 2022, ie he will cost us a few games but not a lot.
Geno vs Russ

flv2

Reaction score
And what is a coach supposed to say? We are gonna' suck this year, but we're gonna' do our best.
The HC is supposed to say: "we're going to do our best but we've moved significant resources into 2023 and beyond. We hope to win straight away but there could be some tough sledding in the short-term. We need fans to stick with us".

...or he can shrug it off and say "No! Business as usual". If he takes that approach he doesn't get to say "not my fault" if it goes pear-shaped. That would be behaving like a tout.

nanomoz

Reaction score
But everyone knew that team needed a rebuild because they'd only won nine games in two years. This team won 7 games last year, and that was the first losing season since 2011. That's not exactly the same scenario.
Then two of the best players in franchise history were traded and cut, and they adopted a brand new defensive scheme and defensive staff. Pete himself admitted, explicitly, that he wouldn't have lasted as long at coach without Russ.

And it looks like the starting offensive tackles are either going to be rookies, or a rookie and an UDFA guy from last year that was initially expected to be a guard.

Having high expectations is great. I just don't personally think it's reasonable given what I know. Maybe that's just me. Prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised. It's a lot better position for my personality type than to have questionable (That's reasonable, right, calling them questionable?) high expectations that are likely to leave me feeling let down, you know?

Last edited:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I appreciate the effort. I can’t put a lot of weight in combine numbers from 2013 for Geno. He is now 31. RW is 33. There is a decline somewhere in there though RW has a ton more mileage and abuse as reason.

maybe I’ll be wrong and he will be okay. I’ll wait 4-5 games before deciding. I fully expect the Geno Fluffers to be insufferable if Geno is even an average QB in first game telling everyone they are wrong. I’ll wait until after game 5 to decide if I was right or wrong. Expecting the worst though. Like seriously historically bad.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The HC is supposed to say: "we're going to do our best but we've moved significant resources into 2023 and beyond. We hope to win straight away but there could be some tough sledding in the short-term. We need fans to stick with us".
The second rule: "No complaining. There's no room for you here if you b---h."
Link

WarHawks

Reaction score
No one who is being objective thinks this team will do much. That's fine. Just enjoy the ride, let it play out, and look forward to the 2023 draft. Getting caught up in wins or losses this season just seems silly to me. It is what it is.

Scout

Reaction score
My enthusiasm is still high because they have assembled a nucleus to have a ball control offense with an aggressive downhill defense. Keep in mind that with all the young additions this is still a team with high end veterans at nearly every position group on both sides of the ball.

As the season goes on many teams will overlook this team but they will become a formidable competitive team by seasons end.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I appreciate the effort. I can’t put a lot of weight in combine numbers from 2013 for Geno. He is now 31. RW is 33. There is a decline somewhere in there though RW has a ton more mileage and abuse as reason.

maybe I’ll be wrong and he will be okay. I’ll wait 4-5 games before deciding. I fully expect the Geno Fluffers to be insufferable if Geno is even an average QB in first game telling everyone they are wrong. I’ll wait until after game 5 to decide if I was right or wrong. Expecting the worst though. Like seriously historically bad.
You talk a whole lot about fluffing, my dude.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I don't believe the Lions' fans thought their team would end up with 0-16 season prior to the 2008 season. Some may have thought they had a winning team since they had finished 7-9 the season before. Not saying that 2022 Seahawks are the same as the 2008 Detriot Lions but at this point the chances of winning and losing games is 50/50. Each game may be easy or hard to win based on many factors.

The Seahawks could destroy the Rams and very well lose to the Jets (probably the weakest team on the 2022 schedule as it stands on paper). It's happened before.

Few correlations with the 2008 Lions that are similar to 2022 Seahawks -
  • Detroit had a big question mark at the QB position with Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky, and Daunte Culpepper as the QBs
  • Detroit also won 7 games the season prior. Seahawks won 7 games last season.
  • Lions HC in 2008 was Rod Marinelli, a defense minded coach. He also comes from under Monte Kiffin. The Seahawks HC is also a defensive minded coach. He looks up to Kiffin too.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wait, you're not going to watch the entire game just because they are likely bad? Hmmmm

I'll give em a shot of course. If I'm pleasantly surprised and the team's competitive into 2nd halves? I'll stick with it.

But no, if it's pretty evident early in the season that the Hawks are the bad team I think they're going to be. I'm not wasting my Sundays watching bad football. I've spent far too much of my life watching bad Hawk football.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Geno‘s ceiling is being mediocre.
Lock‘s ceiling is unknown.

I’m not sure I have seen a decision so deflate a fan base as choosing Geno as a starter. While Lock may also be mediocre and certainly did not play well in the preseason at least there was the thought that he might have some potential to exceed expectations.
This.

I thought there was more secret sauce involved in at least one of them.

Looks like it's a bust pretty much, and I WAS WRONG with the 'roll with luck' thing.

Jimmy G is looking pretty good right now, and I'm aware the ship has sailed on that.

It's looking pretty bleak for the season IMHO. AND, with a dearth of options at QB, I'm quite sure that we're gonna have some "gimmie the ball" problems with a certain #14 demanding changes/trades/etc when the offense tanks it in the first 6 games here. I think it might get a bit ugly.

Not what I thought was going on behind the curtain. Unfortunate.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'll give em a shot of course. If I'm pleasantly surprised and the team's competitive into 2nd halves? I'll stick with it.

But no, if it's pretty evident early in the season that the Hawks are the bad team I think they're going to be. I'm not wasting my Sundays watching bad football. I've spent far too much of my life watching bad Hawk football.
Agreed.