Elephant in the Room

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Ok, I'm reading all these threads and everyone is thrashing the defense, I agree. Let's talk about the real problem here. Geno Smith. 3 total yards in the second half isn't gonna cut it. I don't care if our 2 tackles went out. Smith is being paid to QB this team. Improvise, overcome, and adapt. Geno Smith is 3-7 since that TB last year. Not good. I've always liked Smith, but I'm not sold yet.
I thought Geno looked like a deer caught in headlights Sunday.

and this is just not a good look:

At all. Mr. Smith was in over his head Sunday it seemed to me.

Yea - I saw that 250 ish/3 yards stat and said "Jesus.".

At least we're not the Steelers - I think they were like -1 at one point in the 49ers game. Never thought I'd say those words: "At least we're not the Steelers" !!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I thought Geno looked like a deer caught in headlights Sunday.

and this is just not a good look:

At all. Mr. Smith was in over his head Sunday it seemed to me.

Yea - I saw that 250 ish/3 yards stat and said "Jesus.".

At least we're not the Steelers - I think they were like -1 at one point in the 49ers game. Never thought I'd say those words: "At least we're not the Steelers" !!
If most quarterbacks came through as clearly as Geno did on broadcast, I think you'd be surprised how emotive many of them get when a freight truck with a hate boner is speeding toward them unblocked.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What I do love about Geno is that he NEVER makes excuses, he has zero problems calling himself out and makes it known that the effort of him and team wasn't good enough.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What I do love about Geno is that he NEVER makes excuses, he has zero problems calling himself out and makes it known that the effort of him and team wasn't good enough.
I'm glad he understands the effort was not acceptable in any phase. He doesn't do the endless positivity game that a lot of quarterbacks do. I hope the frustration leads to them playing pissed in the upcoming games. They play better angry.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is Pete Carroll.

This is his team. These are his guys. He's running the show, and he's ran it into the ground.

The coordinators are simply his puppets, running his archaic schemes. They don't gameplan. Coach Carrroll literally says that they're going to play the way they play. They don't adjust to their opponents. That's why he's always out smarted by Mcvay.

Coach Carroll needs to go. Jody needs to sell the team. Our golden years are behind us. We'll never win that second superbowl.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm glad he understands the effort was not acceptable in any phase. He doesn't do the endless positivity game that a lot of quarterbacks do. I hope the frustration leads to them playing pissed in the upcoming games. They play better angry.
No doubt, a pissed off Hawks team can be dangerous. That being said, they are 3-6 in their last 9 games including playoffs.

hoxrox

Reaction score
On defense... we played the run aggressively and it worked when the right defense was called. The pass defense... I dont think we blitzed at all. If we are going to play that ridiculous zone all year without bringing pressure, every qb capable of reading coverage well and throwing to open spots is going to carve us up.
This is something that is a little disappointing. If they are going to play that soft zone, it is imperative that we bring pressure. The interior line had question marks, but the edge rushers, we were supposed to be deep this year. The rams had a rebuilt oline with very few games under their belt. If we can't bring pressure, it's going to be a long season.

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
We must have watched two different games. Out of all the garbage I saw on the field yesterday, that loss is hardly on Geno. Rams held the ball 40 minutes out of the 60. Hard to move the ball from the sidelines. 🤷
Geno didn't do shit in the second half. He threw for a whopping 3 yards the ENTIRE SECOND HALF!!! That's not even a first down.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was rolling my eyes at the stadium when he threw the ball out of bounds on 3rd down. Not a single boo from the fans. That was pathetic.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ok, I'm reading all these threads and everyone is thrashing the defense, I agree. Let's talk about the real problem here. Geno Smith. 3 total yards in the second half isn't gonna cut it. I don't care if our 2 tackles went out. Smith is being paid to QB this team. Improvise, overcome, and adapt. Geno Smith is 3-7 since that TB last year. Not good. I've always liked Smith, but I'm not sold yet.

Smith didn't have a good game by any metric, but he was dead in the water after both tackles went out. The Rams just put 8 in the box and press covered taking away every short route............and as you saw there was no time whatsoever to call longer developing pass plays to mitigate that scheme.

Btw, Geno's only making what? 12M this year with an out for the Hawk's next off season. So you're not the only one not sold on Geno. He certainly will have to play better than he did yesterday.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
If he doesn't get it together the crowd might start chanting Drew
I hope Hawk fans aren't that stupid. Smith wasn't just handed the job because they handed him a contract. Drew Lock is still very much a work in progress, and if our OL is already destined to be banged up this year then we might as well let Geno handle it.
The Hawks already assembled their 2023 roster, so any major changes should be viewed as more of an off-season thing. It is what it is. Maybe Geno ends up being a bargain, or maybe we overpaid for mediocrity. Either way it's already done.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've been saying it all off season and the second half of last year too. I'm still a little worried about Geno even though last year was fantastic big picture wise. He wasn't the same guy in the second half of the year and he didn't look good yesterday even with both tackles being out. He held on to the ball way too long at times. He obviously wasn't the only problem and I'm sure the offense will be fine moving forward because they just have too much talent not to but man that game was hard to watch.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
If most quarterbacks came through as clearly as Geno did on broadcast, I think you'd be surprised how emotive many of them get when a freight truck with a hate boner is speeding toward them unblocked.
ha - Hate Boner - first time i've heard that.

I'm not saying I wouldn't squeal like a schoolgirl - but c'mon man.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Not necessarily Geno but the entire offense deserves their share. The defense getting massacred is a theme from last year, and last year, like the Lions game, we responded to an extent. Plenty of draft capital for 2 years has went to the offense. The contracts were for offensive players. Pre season media thought we might have the best WR trio in the ENTIRE league, then factor in a feisty and sharp looking Walker. I even give Jason a pass on the missed FG because 3rd and 6 at the 21 and we can’t even complete a basic pass to either edge closer or get close to the sticks? Waldron went full (tropic Thunder quote) and it was inexcusable. It seems like Pete said he didn’t want to open the playbook on an ailing Rams team to keep some Aces up his sleeve for later but forgot he’s playing against a HoF QB and the best defensive player to ever play.
Captain Obvious here; As has already been pointed out, Waldron has more than his fair share of the blame for some unimaginative play-calls that kept getting dialed up and replayed, eventually, Defenses will use your rinse & repeats to thwart you.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
The list of players who did well is much much shorter than the list that did not do well. Complete team loss.
Yes there isn't one area to pin this loss. Both offense and defense deserve to be scrutinized. Even missed an easy field goal.

Oh yeah , the coordinators ,Mr Pete "pumped & jacked "Carroll who is ultimately responsible for the results on the field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Captain Obvious here; As has already been pointed out, Waldron has more than his fair share of the blame for some unimaginative play-calls that kept getting dialed up and replayed, eventually, Defenses will use your rinse & repeats to thwart you.

Not entirely fair, in order to get to most of your "creative" plays you have to convert and be successful on 1st and 2nd downs. Like Pete Raible said in the 5th Quarter last night, it looked like the Hawk's offense didn't even get to the majority of their gameplan because of how bad they were in the 2nd half.

And it doesn't help when you call the most imaginative play of the game with the end around pitch back to Geno, he misses a wide open Bobo for a TD.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The elephant?

We call games on offense and defense to not lose, rather than to win. That's the underlying issue I saw. Our offense was so completely conservative that it was pathetic to watch. Geno was throwing routes that were barely open (not his fault) because they are the same combinations we've shown for a year now. Defenses know what we are going to run before the snap. DBs are sitting back waiting for the ball. It began happening over the 2nd half of last season and was attributed to Geno being 'figured out'. It's our offense being 3rd grade level that's the issue. The well was dry be season's end last year. Yet we keep sending the bucket down.

On defense... we played the run aggressively and it worked when the right defense was called. The pass defense... I dont think we blitzed at all. If we are going to play that ridiculous zone all year without bringing pressure, every qb capable of reading coverage well and throwing to open spots is going to carve us up.

Clint Hurtt - I don't think he's qualified to captain the ship. We need someone here who has experience and can establish a baseline of competency. I get the feeling Clint is winging it and is in way over his head.

Injuries - if we don't have Cross and Lucas moving forward, it's going to be hard to fix any of this.
Who's to blame for the 3rd grade offense? It seems this has been an issue for the past several years now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There is a shortage of difference-makers on this team, a lack of leadership, and a passive mentality.

I'll agree with the passive mentality and difference makers on the defensive side of the ball. But this team has plenty of leadership on the staff and roster. Wagner, Geno, Diggs, DK, Lockett, etc....(and supposedly Adams).

Tone setters and leadership should not be an issue.