Earl could be traded for a second round pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2o2wp2vw said:
Sgt. Largent":2o2wp2vw said:
Dude's a HOF safety still in his prime. Not getting a 1st for him would be tough for me to swallow.

Yes but a HOFamer that the Seahawks FO is not going to be able to sign in 2019 when he becomes an UFA. No one is going to trade for him after next season because they'll just wait until he's on the market.

Depends on their window.

If you're a team like Dallas and in a window to contend for SB's, you're not going to wait a year or two until the Hawks are out of franchise tags to try and get Earl.

Or even a team like Cleveland that's desperate to inject some leadership and players that have won, you gonna wait until Earl's a year older to go get him to help build your team into a contender?

Make no mistake, if we keep Earl and he plays well in 2018? No way we just let him walk, we're gonna franchise him. So if you're a team that wants him, waiting doesn't do you any good.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think he’s gone tonight. And unfortunately I think it’s the smart move, regardless of what we get in return.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":j3fvbzvc said:
SeaWolv":j3fvbzvc said:
Sgt. Largent":j3fvbzvc said:
Dude's a HOF safety still in his prime. Not getting a 1st for him would be tough for me to swallow.

Yes but a HOFamer that the Seahawks FO is not going to be able to sign in 2019 when he becomes an UFA. No one is going to trade for him after next season because they'll just wait until he's on the market.

Depends on their window.

If you're a team like Dallas and in a window to contend for SB's, you're not going to wait a year or two until the Hawks are out of franchise tags to try and get Earl.

Or even a team like Cleveland that's desperate to inject some leadership and players that have won, you gonna wait until Earl's a year older to go get him to help build your team into a contender?

Make no mistake, if we keep Earl and he plays well in 2018? No way we just let him walk, we're gonna franchise him. So if you're a team that wants him, waiting doesn't do you any good.

Why would the Hawks franchise him at 29 when they're shedding payroll for everyone but Wilson? After next season he'll have been in the league for 9 years. I'd say that's the tail end of his prime and entering the time when his closing speed and ball hawking skills will start to decline. So do we get value for him now and move on or pay out the ass for him in order to keep him because the third option is we lose him for nothing. What would the Patriots do?

penihawk

Reaction score
Seawolves thinkin rationally here instead of with his heart. Earls value is not a 1 and in this particular state of our franchise it’s time to let him go. Thank you ET for an awesome ride and you will always be one of my favorite Hawks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Clayton said earlier he puts it at 10% and NOT to *allas but possibly Cleveland.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeaWolv":3fe50ts3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3fe50ts3 said:
SeaWolv":3fe50ts3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3fe50ts3 said:

Depends on their window.

Why would the Hawks franchise him at 29 when they're shedding payroll for everyone but Wilson? After next season he'll have been in the league for 9 years. I'd say that's the tail end of his prime and entering the time when his closing speed and ball hawking skills will start to decline. So do we get value for him now and move on or pay out the ass for him in order to keep him because the third option is we lose him for nothing. What would the Patriots do?

If he plays well, how could you not franchise him, especially if we're back in contention next year. If we can fit him under our cap this year then we can certainly fit the franchise tag next year, which is barely more than he's making now.

Plus we go from 7M in cap space this year to over 70M of cap space next year shedding a TON of dead cap, even with extending Russell.

Bottom line, if you want Earl, then come get him, or he's either going to be injured next year or play well and the price stays the same, goes up and more teams are interested.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1snk6ud2 said:
If he plays well, how could you not franchise him, especially if we're back in contention next year. If we can fit him under our cap this year then we can certainly fit the franchise tag next year, which is barely more than he's making now.

Plus we go from 7M in cap space this year to over 70M of cap space next year shedding a TON of dead cap, even with extending Russell.

Bottom line, if you want Earl, then come get him, or he's either going to be injured next year or play well and the price stays the same, goes up and more teams are interested.

I agree that it hinges on being in contention.

If we are in contention we franchise him. If, that is, the team believes his an important part of this defense. I know some question how vital he is but for my part he was part of defenses that almost never gave up big middle plays (except to TEs, okay) and rarely gave up a lot of passing yardage anywhere. I'm not prepared to say Earl wasn't central to that trend.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
This place is gonna be in complete meltdown mode for the second night in a row once Earl is gone for only a third.

No way he fetches more than a mid-second round value, at best.

Sac

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2lenag75 said:
According to sources from Brock and Salk. Earl Thomas could be traded for a second round pick on Friday.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2h54ui8i said:
SeaWolv":2h54ui8i said:
Sgt. Largent":2h54ui8i said:

Depends on their window.

Were not going to franchise Earl after this season what the hell are you smoking . You can believe that if you want but it's not going to happen.

hawk45

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":166he910 said:
This place is gonna be in complete meltdown mode for the second night in a row once Earl is gone for only a third.

No way he fetches more than a mid-second round value, at best.

I mean given what we have given in trade recently to acquire the much-older Brown, or Harvin, or Graham, getting only a third back when it comes time to trade *our* HOF player looks a trend of being hosed in such trades. Mercilessly hosed.

I do realize that our OL desperation drove up the price, but that OL desperation is on our FO as well.

If the argument is that the market is what it is for safeties right now then great, hold on to your HOF player instead of selling low.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
A second round pick in 2018 is better than no pick or a potential late 3rd comp pick in 2019.

That said I'd believe the team will want more than just a 2018 2nd rd. pick.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":op94tc8m said:
A second round pick in 2018 is better than no pick or a potential late 3rd comp pick in 2019.

That said I'd believe the team will want more than just a 2018 2nd rd. pick.

I don't think it's going to happen but until the second round is over it can't be ruled out and there are deals on the table two of them unless something has changed.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3grh62dg said:
One 2nd round pick is not worth it to me. Hope we do not settle for that.

I agree. Unfortunately if we wait we may not get anything for him and may be stuck with another disgruntled player. Earl did not help his cause by going into the Cowboy locker room after their game. I say get as much as you can for this game and cut your losses. This will be a rebuilding year. It could be very painful to the Hawks faithful.

poly1274

Reaction score
I'll be happy with a 3rd round pick and a 6th round pick. or 3rd round this year and a 5th round next year.

Not many teams would give up many draft picks for a guy that is on his last year contract.

Seymour

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3i7ww7t3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3i7ww7t3 said:
SeaWolv":3i7ww7t3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3i7ww7t3 said:

Depends on their window.

Were not going to franchise Earl after this season what the hell are you smoking . You can believe that if you want but it's not going to happen.

+1000

Omahawk

Reaction score
I want him gone. You DO NOT follow the wrong team into the wrong locker room after a game. That was horseradish. Get what we can for him and draft his replacement. The guy's a cancer for us at this point. Next year we won't get anything for him because he'll be a free agent. In my opinion, trade him now for a 2nd round pick (and hopefully more) and see if we can grab Shaquem Griffin. I think he could be a great replacement for Earl. Obviously that still leaves us with glaring holes at other positions but Earl did this to himself. Buh-bye.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Omahawk":3t2kdryu said:
I want him gone. You DO NOT follow the wrong team into the wrong locker room after a game. That was horseradish. Get what we can for him and draft his replacement. The guy's a cancer for us at this point. Next year we won't get anything for him because he'll be a free agent. In my opinion, trade him now for a 2nd round pick (and hopefully more) and see if we can grab Shaquem Griffin. I think he could be a great replacement for Earl. Obviously that still leaves us with glaring holes at other positions but Earl did this to himself. Buh-bye.

I would say go for Justin Reid if he's still available depending on if we get this trade, just so we have a suitable replacement for Earl