Does this victory make Russell our greatest QB ever?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I obviously love Matt Hasselbeck, and I think most of the fan base under-appreciated him .. but yeah.. Russ surpassed him last night. I also think Pete surpassed Holmgren.. and Schneider surpassed Ruskell the moment he put on pants the first day on the job.

evergreen

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2jgneupb said:
kidhawk":2jgneupb said:
No but it makes him the quarterback of the best single season team ever. He needs a little longevity to be the best ever. I believe he will be that though, just not after 2 seasons

It's not like he's competing with some of the greatest of all time.

He was already better than Zorn and Kreig. This SB win put him over the top of Matty H by doing something Matt couldn't do. He'll secure his spot after a few more successful season, but I'd put him #1.
Not like our other qbs were the greatest of all time. Russell Wilson has played and bettered the best of all time that still play. It's fun to debate it for fun but there's no debate. 4th and 7 NFCCG no problem...

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3jp9tc7o said:
I obviously love Matt Hasselbeck, and I think most of the fan base under-appreciated him .. but yeah.. Russ surpassed him last night. I also think Pete surpassed Holmgren.. and Schneider surpassed Ruskell the moment he put on pants the first day on the job.

Matt made so many errors though. Perfect one was the pick six in GB in the playoffs. He also played with arguably the best left side of an Oline in NFL history with Hutchinson and Jones :(

theascension

Reaction score
If we had that O-line now Marshawn would have Tecmo Bowl numbers every single game. He'd average 6.5 yards a carry easy. Shawn is overrated IMO it was that unbelievable O-line and Jones that did it all.
Matt was an average quarterback. Wilson has the numbers and the head to become one of the best ever and even change the way the quarterback is played, becoming the first 'elite' dual threat quarterback.
Others in his 2012 class have to raw talent but I don't think any have the studious nature to reach the level I believe he'll reach.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
theascension":2x80nfbb said:
If we had that O-line now Marshawn would have Tecmo Bowl numbers every single game. He'd average 6.5 yards a carry easy. Shawn is overrated IMO it was that unbelievable O-line and Jones that did it all.
Matt was an average quarterback. Wilson has the numbers and the head to become one of the best ever and even change the way the quarterback is played, becoming the first 'elite' dual threat quarterback.
Others in his 2012 class have to raw talent but I don't think any have the studious nature to reach the level I believe he'll reach.

I agree. I appreciate what Alexander did but I always felt he was a finesse back. He always slid and avoided contact at all costs. Lynch is the exact opposite of what Alexander was.

Wilson also IMO has worked with worse talent on offense and allready has the 2 best seasons of ANY Seahawk QB in QB rating and of course 1 superbowl.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
1. In his rookie and sophomore years, he has played opposite of 4 legendary quarterbacks, and played superior.
2. How many NFL records has he set? Tied rookie TDs, second all time in 2 year TD total, rushing yards, winning percentage?
3. How many players of his own generation have had better performances?
4. 28-9 in his first two seasons as a Hawk, playing in the most difficult and scrutinized position in the NFL.

Why is there even a doubt? Sure, you could say he inherited a decent offense with a suffocating defense but he took a 7-9 team to 28-9 in two years, with largely the same cast of players. I don't know of any previous Seattle QBs that could shape and will a mediocre team into champions, regardless of the coaching staff. That's pure talent, leadership, and will to win.

I think he's arguably the best QB in the NFL right now, if you separate the others from whatever individual legacies they've accumulated.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If Russell isn't the best, then who is the best and why? Hass struggled a lot, when he got to Seattle.
I think 2 full years is enough to give that to Russell. If Russell doesn't reach the playoffs the next 2 years, how would that make him worse than Hasselbeck? Russell ALREADY has the ring. Lots of players (QBs) would pay $$$$ to reach the Superbowl.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Lady Talon":2e59zjyk said:
Sure, you could say he inherited a decent offense with a suffocating defense but he took a 7-9 team to 28-9 in two years, with largely the same cast of players.

Well, minus his #1 receiver for all but a handful of plays, and minus his #2 receiver for half this season. To put up those kinds of numbers - touchdowns, wins, you name it - with receivers #3, #4, and #5 is quite the feat. He has had nowhere close to a unanimously lauded go-to superstar receiver the whole time, and has still gotten the job done. Now, I think our receivers are far, far better than the league perception, but Tate's really the only one who's not an undrafted free agent in the bunch. With that handicap, which other quarterbacks in the league could put up those kinds of numbers, let alone their first two years in the league?

OrFan

Reaction score
Can we really even talk about this without consulting our resident qb expert?

Cboom, what is your take on this?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":xwe462uw said:
Lady Talon":xwe462uw said:
Sure, you could say he inherited a decent offense with a suffocating defense but he took a 7-9 team to 28-9 in two years, with largely the same cast of players.

Well, minus his #1 receiver for all but a handful of plays, and minus his #2 receiver for half this season. To put up those kinds of numbers - touchdowns, wins, you name it - with receivers #3, #4, and #5 is quite the feat. He has had nowhere close to a unanimously lauded go-to superstar receiver the whole time, and has still gotten the job done. Now, I think our receivers are far, far better than the league perception, but Tate's really the only one who's not an undrafted free agent in the bunch. With that handicap, which other quarterbacks in the league could put up those kinds of numbers, let alone their first two years in the league?

In what has become the most competitive, intimidating, and physical division in football, no less.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1el2jmjb said:
Lady Talon":1el2jmjb said:

add in minus most of his starting o-line for most of the year, his starting TE for several games, and with an run game that was very up and down. OH and facing top 10 defense 9 times, most in the NFL.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
I love Russell Wilson. There is no question that he has led us to greatness that we have never experienced before. That being said, I do not think he is the best QB we ever had. We had a lousy team then, but watching Warren Moon throw the ball was a thing of beauty IMHO.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Yes I think that Russell Wilson is our best QB of all time. However, if his career ended today, then he wouldn't have the longevity for it.

For example, I am a Blazer fan. Personally, I think Brandon Roy had a chance to be our greatest of all time. He had an awesome clutch factor to his game that was just unique. We've had other, more talented players, but he just was special. Then his career ended unfortunately and I don't think he had the longevity to tie that up. Then again, he never won a World Championship.

My wife was a huge Matt Hasselbeck fan. In fact, I think she was depressed for about a year when we got rid of him (may have shed a tear). By the middle of the year, she was like, "Matt who?" I asked her who she liked better between the two a few days back. She made sure that I understood that she still likes Matt, but her favorite is Russell. Of course, my wife is a pediatric nurse and she think Russell and his wife are just awesome for how dedicated they are to kids.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
All I will say is the greatest win the big one. That's why Marino isn't in the discussion for 'greatest' and why Matt H has now lost his title.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Yes. What's longevity got to do with any of it? He is the best QB to suit up for us. No other Hawks QB has had a two-year-stretch like this. Period.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I believe Russell Wilson when at his best is head and shoulders (funny analogy for him) better than all our past quarterbacks.

Other than one bad throw in the Super Bowl he played pretty much flawlessly. He should have been the MVP along with our entire defense which is impossible but still he deserves it and I thought he would win it since it was hard to isolate just one defensive player when so many played great.

When he's at his best his accuracy is incredible he simply does not miss, his movement and footwork is game breaking, and his intelligence and poise is one of a kind. He is a dedicated winner, blessed with all the physical skills and mental traits of a legend.

It might sound like I'm exaggerating but I think the Hawks might even be much better next year due to our offense finally hitting full stride with Harvin if we can keep our other hero recievers.

49ers are on the decline mark my words, Kaepernick is not the real deal like Wilson. NFC west belongs to the Seahawks next year, so does the entire NFL you heard it here first :)

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
How is he not #1? Come on.

Just because Hasselbeck played a few more seasons?

RW is #1 already and it isn't close.

BWRyan

Reaction score
Nope. Still Hasselbeck. Let's not forget that in a just and fair world, Hass would be wearing a ring for a Super Bowl XL.

However, it's inevitable Russell Wilson surpasses him. Hasselbeck had at least 3 great years at QB, RW sitting at 1 1/2... in his first two years in the league.

bigcc

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":sv2uueps said:
Lady Talon":sv2uueps said:

Baldwin was proven before Wilson showed up so that's a pretty moot point.

Does anyone not remember all the dropped passes?

2002- 4th highest drop percent
2003- 4th highest
2004- 2nd highest
2005- 23rd (go figure) at 4.3 percent of passes dropped
2006- 1st in drop %
2007- 26th
2008-4th

you get the point, in that 7 year run they were better than 4th highest drop percentage twice. Lets look at Wilson.

2012- 14th
2013- 29th at 3.2

but it surely must just be because wilson throws more catchable passes right? Nothing to do with the receivers....

Latest posts