Does this victory make Russell our greatest QB ever?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
hawkfannj":1d9mmj33 said:
Still too early for that don't ya think. Superbowl winning QB yes. But better than Moon ?
Warren Moon was 11-13 as a 2-year starter for the Hawks.

He threw for 36 TDs and 24 INTs.

Russell is 28-9 as a 2-year starter.

And Russell has thrown for 55 TDs against only 19 INTs.

As a Seahawk QB, Warren Moon couldn't hold Russell Wilson's jock.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
YES...The difference is he is the 1st Hawk qb that can roll out either way and pass better than he does standing in the pocket..He has great running ability..His nerves seem calm always..He's only getting better with time.

A

Anonymous

Russell has had the best first two year QB-rating of any rookie starter on any NFL team. Ever.

Yes.

5meterhawkfan

Reaction score
Rob12":11hmwgy3 said:
Absolutely.

28 wins in two years. A 17-1 record at home. 100+ career passer rating. Tied with Manning for second most TD passes after the first two years of a career. 1,000+ rushing yards.

4-1 career record in the playoffs.

SUPER BOWL WINNING QUARTERBACK

I know it's early, but in my mind, he absolutely is the greatest quarterback we have ever had and he's just going to get better.

this is perfect. I would add what many "experts" see as a weakness (he doesn't throw for 300 yards every game) is that this kid does a great job protecting the ball. I would much rather have fewer turnovers like DangerRuss than all the yards and all the picks of other qb's.

Rob12

Reaction score
5meterhawkfan":1m14g4ux said:
Rob12":1m14g4ux said:
Absolutely.

28 wins in two years. A 17-1 record at home. 100+ career passer rating. Tied with Manning for second most TD passes after the first two years of a career. 1,000+ rushing yards.

4-1 career record in the playoffs.

SUPER BOWL WINNING QUARTERBACK

I know it's early, but in my mind, he absolutely is the greatest quarterback we have ever had and he's just going to get better.

this is perfect. I would add what many "experts" see as a weakness (he doesn't throw for 300 yards every game) is that this kid does a great job protecting the ball. I would much rather have fewer turnovers like DangerRuss than all the yards and all the picks of other qb's.

That can't be overstated. He takes amazing care of the football. 14 turnovers in 16 games in the regular season and one turnover in three playoff games. Pretty damn good.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I will always have a soft spot for Hass and Zorn and to a lesser extent Kreig. Russell Wilson is the greatest in Seahawk history. I have been a Hawk fan since 1977 and while I think this is the best overall team in franchise history none of those teams were perfect and IMO Wilson would have taken each and every one of them to a title. He is the X factor we have never had and now we do.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Yep. I can't see why any other QB would be higher.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
This is my chance to have fun

List of starting quarterbacks and coaches in order 1976 to 2013

Jim Zorn - the start, made you dream of what could be, MNF in Atlanta with fake FG to Efren Herera, what memories Zorn to Largent
Steve Myer
Dave Krieg - mudbone, 1st playoff win for Seahawks against of all teams the Broncos, can we say feast or famine, got to love him
Gale Gilbert
Bruce Mathison
Jeff Kemp
Kelly Stouffer
Dan McQwire
Rick Mirer
John Friesz
Stan Gelbaugh
Warren Moon - HOF, have to wonder what could have been had he not gone to Houston after CFL
Jon Kitna
Glenn Foley
Brock Huard
Matt Hasselbeck - Holmgrens hand picked game manager, future NFL GM and ring of honor, victim of XL stealers
Trent Dilfer
Seneca Wallace
Charlie Frye
Charlie Whitehurst
Tavaris Jackson
Russell Wilson - results speak for themselves, come back in 5 years and if trend continues we are talking HOF, but right now I vote yes

Place
Jack Patera 5th - excellent choice for expansion team, helped set tone, personified on MNF at Atlanta, days of Zorn to Largent
Mike McCormick 4th - HOF player, GM who hired Chuck Knox and when 12th man was created, rest in peace, only deceased coach
Chuck Knox 2nd - Until Sunday night was # 1, belongs on ring of honor, borderline HOF coach
Tom Flores 7th - Ken Behring's choice, loyal, despite 2 Super Bowl wins on resume, is still a Raider
Dennis Erickson 6th - players coach personified, great offensive mind, Vinny Testaverde helmut victim
Mike Holmgren 3rd - despite Super bowl credentials, control freak, took us to big game, victim of XL stealers
Jim Mora 8th - hand picked successor to Holmgren
Pete Carroll 1st - total transformation of culture, out side the box thinking defined, results speak for themselves

robohawk

Reaction score
after 2 seasons? No. Remember, we have a QB in the Hall of Fame (Even though Warren Moon only played with us for 2 seaosns)

5 seasons from now after he wins a few MVPs and a few SB MVPs? Oh yeah.

I say that, not as a guy who thinks RW has to 'prove it', just as a guy who is looking forward to seeing him actually do the above, because I think he will.

However, 2 years is a short body of work to give someone 'greatest' status. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Jim Zorn for pulling this franchise out of its' infancy and getting them to the Conference Championship along with David Krieg

edit - oh yeah, wanted to add this:

TD passes after 2 seasons:
Russell Wilson - 52 TDs (19 picks)
Peyton Manning - 52 TDs (43 picks)

DrDix

Reaction score
Lol not even a question. Russell is elite. By far the best.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
razor150":30h2lt9q said:
Saying Wilson is the best is like saying this team couldn't have won it with Hass or Krieg. Hate to break it to you but we would have and probably would have had a better passing game to boot. Wilson still has a long way to go, he is better than Krieg and Hass on the move but he still isn't very good from the pocket, and has happy feet if he can't get out of it. Which has been a big part of the reason behind some of our offensive poor showings.

In short you are giving Wilson far to much credit. He played his part but nobody here would say Differ was the reason the Ravens won their first Super bowl. He played his part just like Wilson did.

Pete wants to take the ball away on defense and keep it secure on offense Krieg and Hasselbeck don't fit into Pete's vision of what he wants at QB. So were he stuck with either of those guys the gameplan would call for even less passing than he allows from Russell.

I can only see Russell making that 4th and 7 TD pass to Kearse in the NFC Championship game, Matt panicked in most of his big moments and Krieg fumbled the ball away more than anyone other than Moon and Favre but those two were Hall of Famers Krieg was not.

We only win with Russell and we did, he's the best Seahawk QB of all time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
robohawk":2faz9mse said:
after 2 seasons? No. Remember, we have a QB in the Hall of Fame (Even though Warren Moon only played with us for 2 seaosns)

I say that, not as a guy who thinks RW has to 'prove it', just as a guy who is looking forward to seeing him actually do the above, because I think he will.

However, 2 years is a short body of work to give someone 'greatest' status. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Jim Zorn for pulling this franchise out of its' infancy and getting them to the Conference Championship along with David Krieg

Jim Zorn never got us anywhere(sorry) I like the guy and met him when I was a kid but he wasn't all that good..Without looking at that list I know of 4 qbs who were better period..I just think people never saw Zorn play when they make him a legend ..He was our 1st qb but if I remember right Sam Adkins was supposed to get the job until he got hurt before the season started..Largent made Zorn look decent because he would make the most amazing catches of the ugliest passes you ever saw..

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":e584o9kf said:
Of course it makes him our greatest QB ever.

SB wins > EVERYTHING

Skipped ahead after this post, but can I assume that people are still using this as their flawed thinking?

By this metric, Trent Dilfer >>> Dan Marino. Seems like that would instantly illuminate how overrated of a metric this is, but people sure are cute in their persistence.

SDHawk

Reaction score
hawkfannj":1gzr3h4b said:
Still too early for that don't ya think. Superbowl winning QB yes. But better than Moon ? Or Hass in his prime .kreig ,Zorn there may have not been a superbowl winning QB in Seahawks history untill Wilson but ill still give the benifit if the doubt to some other signal callers we used to love just as much .

I would bet you anything that if you asked those guys right now if Wilson is the better QB, all would agree without hesitation.

themunn

Reaction score
razor150":1jilcsxf said:
If you want to start saying which games we would have lost and won then I would say that if we had Hass or Krieg we beat San Fran at their home and don't loose to the Cards in our house. Our passing game disappeared once teams kept him in the pocket. I can't call a qb more than average if the weakest part of his game is throwing from the pocket and if he gets happy feet if he can't escape it. In some of those games he looked absolutely pathetic.

I am not saying Wilson will never surpass Hass or Krieg because I think he will. He isn't done growing as a qb and given the weaknesses in his game calling him the best even with our QB history is completely silly, imo.

People were talking about Russell Wilson being an outside candidate for MVP at one point this season (though unlikely unless Manning completely collapsed).

And I mean people who aren't Seahawks fans

MVP. When did you ever even think that was possible with Hass or Krieg

Northhawk

Reaction score
The question is whether Russell is "our" best qb -- not the Houston Oilers' or Edmonton Eskimos' (CFL) best qb.

By that standard, what QB has delivered better results while playing for the Hawks than Russell? None.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
robohawk":3ewhwcj3 said:

Considering Moon in the discussion is exactly like considering Montana a Kansas City Chief both made their legacy elsewhere.

Steve2222

Reaction score
razor150":11kvo0o7 said:
Jac":11kvo0o7 said:
razor150":11kvo0o7 said:
Saying Wilson is the best is like saying this team couldn't have won it with Hass or Krieg. Hate to break it to you but we would have and probably would have had a better passing game to boot. Wilson still has a long way to go, he is better than Krieg and Hass on the move but he still isn't very good from the pocket, and has happy feet if he can't get out of it. Which has been a big part of the reason behind some of our offensive poor showings.

In short you are giving Wilson far to much credit. He played his part but nobody here would say Differ was the reason the Ravens won their first Super bowl. He played his part just like Wilson did.

Neither Hasselbeck or Krieg would have won the SB with this team. Wilson's ability to scramble while our offensive line broke down for large parts of this season--and his ability to avoid turnovers--helped this team win HFA. Without HFA, along with either at QB, we probably don't go into SF and win.

If you want to start saying which games we would have lost and won then I would say that if we had Hass or Krieg we beat San Fran at their home and don't loose to the Cards in our house. Our passing game disappeared once teams kept him in the pocket. I can't call a qb more than average if the weakest part of his game is throwing from the pocket and if he gets happy feet if he can't escape it. In some of those games he looked absolutely pathetic.

I am not saying Wilson will never surpass Hass or Krieg because I think he will. He isn't done growing as a qb and given the weaknesses in his game calling him the best even with our QB history is completely silly, imo.

You do realize Hass made tons of boneheaded plays, never really came up big in huge moments, and wasn't that impressive on the road right?

Matt Hasselbeck would have finished the year on the IR had he played for this team.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Russell has made it look so easy, now some people think, winning the Superbowl ... was kind of easy (expected).
Please remember where this team was before Russell arrived. Remember how this team came very close the year before in Atlanta. We basically had the game won. I don't see how SF and Baltimore could have stopped us.
Remember that this team hasn't lost by more than a single TD in the last 2+ years (I think). Remember this team is 8-0 in the preseason the past 2 years. Russell has beaten Brady, Rogers, Manning, Brees(2x), Matty Ice, Newton(2x). Wilson makes this team elite.

Latest posts