Does this victory make Russell our greatest QB ever?

plyka

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":rv9snhfv said:
Two years is an awful short body of work. It's a terribly small snapshot to compare with the career here that Matt Hasselbeck had. Matt still has one more playoff win than Russell, and he's a whole lot of regular season wins ahead. That said, he's only 122 TD passes ahead of Russell, and Russell has a Super Bowl trophy to go with the Halas Trophy they both have.

To further make this comparison understandable, let's look at a guy like Lofa Tatupu. His first three years, he was flat unstoppable. A huge fan favorite, and arguably in everyone's conversation as the best linebacker in Seahawks history. Now? Not so much. He peaked and faded fast, and in retrospect, he doesn't look nearly the player we once thought he was. Do I fear a similar trajectory for Wilson? No. Not at all. I think Wilson has a great chance to go down as an all-time great in the league, not just in Seahawks history. But let's not crown him too early.

Still, he's got that Super Bowl ring, and that counts for a lot.

Edit: And lest we forget, we were dominating the first part of XL*, right up until the point where things went black and white striped and pear-shaped. Were that game to have been called fair and square, and we were to have returned with the Lombardi, Hasselbeck would be clearly out in front, and would stay there for a long time yet to come.

Are you being serious? Matt Hasselbeck is a good QB. He is no where near elite, and never was anywhere near elite. He did some great things with the best offensive line in the NFL surrounding him, with one of the most talented RBs in the league behind him. But I could never talk about Hasselbeck in the same sentence as the great QBs of that time. I mean, can you seriously put Hasselbeck and Favre, Manning or Brady in the same sentence? No, just NO.

In Hasselbeck's 15 years in the league, he has only had a QB rating above 90 twice. One was 98, in 2005 --his highest ever mark. This is behind MUCH BETTER TALENT! Wilson on the other hand has never had a season under 100 QB rating. Wilson is now the best QB in history in his first 2 years --HISTORY. He can beat you with his legs or his arm. He doesn't say "we want the ball and we are going to score" only to throw a pick 6. He doesn't talk, he just plays.

There really is no comparison, especially once you factor in that Wilson has brought Seattle its first Superbowl in its HISTORY! It's an insult to even compare the two.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
All I know is that if he isn't he is dang close to it. Either way, I am just happy to have him as our QB right now!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
YES!!!! I knew this last season. The kid is truly special. :thirishdrinkers:

** I just wanted to add that I will always love Matthew but he is no Russell Wilson, he never was even close **

razor150

Reaction score
Saying Wilson is the best is like saying this team couldn't have won it with Hass or Krieg. Hate to break it to you but we would have and probably would have had a better passing game to boot. Wilson still has a long way to go, he is better than Krieg and Hass on the move but he still isn't very good from the pocket, and has happy feet if he can't get out of it. Which has been a big part of the reason behind some of our offensive poor showings.

In short you are giving Wilson far to much credit. He played his part but nobody here would say Differ was the reason the Ravens won their first Super bowl. He played his part just like Wilson did.

Jac

Reaction score
razor150":jsn58fbh said:
Saying Wilson is the best is like saying this team couldn't have won it with Hass or Krieg. Hate to break it to you but we would have and probably would have had a better passing game to boot. Wilson still has a long way to go, he is better than Krieg and Hass on the move but he still isn't very good from the pocket, and has happy feet if he can't get out of it. Which has been a big part of the reason behind some of our offensive poor showings.

In short you are giving Wilson far to much credit. He played his part but nobody here would say Differ was the reason the Ravens won their first Super bowl. He played his part just like Wilson did.

Neither Hasselbeck or Krieg would have won the SB with this team. Wilson's ability to scramble while our offensive line broke down for large parts of this season--and his ability to avoid turnovers--helped this team win HFA. Without HFA, along with either at QB, we probably don't go into SF and win.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I think the SB win makes this the best SEAHAWK team ever. I love #3 as much as anybody. I think we need to let time prove if he is the best QB the hawks have ever had. This entire season was a team effort, I can't say that any one player was the reason we had the success we did. Obviously this is only my opinion.

razor150

Reaction score
Jac":v1g4oxzm said:
razor150":v1g4oxzm said:

Neither Hasselbeck or Krieg would have won the SB with this team. Wilson's ability to scramble while our offensive line broke down for large parts of this season--and his ability to avoid turnovers--helped this team win HFA. Without HFA, along with either at QB, we probably don't go into SF and win.

If you want to start saying which games we would have lost and won then I would say that if we had Hass or Krieg we beat San Fran at their home and don't loose to the Cards in our house. Our passing game disappeared once teams kept him in the pocket. I can't call a qb more than average if the weakest part of his game is throwing from the pocket and if he gets happy feet if he can't escape it. In some of those games he looked absolutely pathetic.

I am not saying Wilson will never surpass Hass or Krieg because I think he will. He isn't done growing as a qb and given the weaknesses in his game calling him the best even with our QB history is completely silly, imo.

hawk45

Reaction score
Jac":18l6np1f said:
razor150":18l6np1f said:

^^

Our offensive line is one reason Hass or Krieg couldn't have done it. Another reason is, can you see Hass or Krieg trying to convert 3rd downs or plays in the 4th quarter after being out of rythm all game long?

JMO.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think you all know that I care about Seahawk history probably more than most, and I spend a lot of time thinking about how players fit into the grand paradigm of the great players we've seen over the years.

Unfortunately, winning the Superbowl has made me lose all perspective. I don't even know who Dave Krieg is anymore. Hasselwhat?

Whatever the best of all time is, it is what we have now. That's all I know. I may regain my global perspective over the weeks and months to come, but I can't promise anything.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We wouldn't have won HFA with Hass or Krieg. That's a fact. People seem to forget that Wilson was carrying this team during the middle portion of the year when we had no O-line at all. Hass and Kreig don't come back to beat HOU or TB. They don't make the big throw to beat STL on MNF. Our passing numbers were limited when we played a murderer's row of defenses at the end of the year. Even then, Wilson WASN'T turning the ball over like Hass was prone to do in tough situations.

Plus, there's the value of his leadership. That's what turned this team from a good team to an unstoppable team. Earl and Sherm leaped from great players to elite players when they followed the preparation and leadership examples that Russell set in his rookie season. I've seen Earl mention this. Look at the impact he had on Golden. His rookie leadership was so legendary that Percy Harvin ASKED TO BE TRADED HERE.

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more ridiculous this question seems.

Jac

Reaction score
razor150":3ul230vm said:
If you want to start saying which games we would have lost and won then I would say that if we had Hass or Krieg we beat San Fran at their home and don't loose to the Cards in our house. Our passing game disappeared once teams kept him in the pocket. I can't call a qb more than average if the weakest part of his game is throwing from the pocket and if he gets happy feet if he can't escape it. In some of those games he looked absolutely pathetic.

I am not saying Wilson will never surpass Hass or Krieg because I think he will. He isn't done growing as a qb and given the weaknesses in his game calling him the best even with our QB history is completely silly, imo.

Actually, if I think about it, I can flip the hypothetical and realistically envision Wilson winning Super Bowl XL.

purpleworld

Reaction score
He's the best for sure....28-9 with a Super Bowl win! This team hasn't lost a game by more than 7 points in his two seasons at the helm meaning, we have been in EVERY game until the end and could have won EVERY game had someone else made a play to seal it.....and, when was it that HE lost a game for us ala Kaep, or Luck, or Romo, or Manning, etc., etc., by doing something stupid or by throwing a game ending pick??? No other former Seattle QB is even close......

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
People are seriously arguing that Hasselbeck would've faired better against the Cards and Niners elite front sevens?

Yeah, I can just see Hass pulling off that downfield bomb to Doug Baldwin after dodging four tackles.

Wilson didn't overwhelm with his performance in games like that, but neither was he awful. Hasselbeck would've been eaten alive to be fair.

And as for the pocket talk - how did RW do in the pocket against Denver?

This isn't even a competition. Wilson is a mile ahead of the pack.

OP
OP
Stiletto

Stiletto

Reaction score
The thing is, it’s not inconceivable that Russell and crew win another SB in the next two years. Most would say that’s a pretty safe bet actually.
And when he does, he STILL won’t have all the team records the Krieg and Matt do. What then? Would anyone claim that the jury is still out on this question until he passes those records?

I would say that’s absurd.

I stick to my original post - Russell is the greatest QB this team has ever seen. And it’s not because he holds all the team records.
He simply does things no other QB has ever done here. Including (but not limited to) winning it ALL.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
razor150":24v7itq9 said:

Completely disagree.

Hass had a better O line and did not generate more wins.

Kreig would have been 'random scrambling' and he would not have had Largent, Skansi, etc to throw to.

Wilson is the only one of them who could have won this year with this team.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2r40mcyg said:
I think you all know that I care about Seahawk history probably more than most, and I spend a lot of time thinking about how players fit into the grand paradigm of the great players we've seen over the years.

Unfortunately, winning the Superbowl has made me lose all perspective. I don't even know who Dave Krieg is anymore. Hasselwhat?

Whatever the best of all time is, it is what we have now. That's all I know. I may regain my global perspective over the weeks and months to come, but I can't promise anything.

This is my favorite post, and I completely agree. I'm trying to have some perspective, but to hell with it.

I will say Russ may have only been our QB for 2 years, but he has the highest winning percentage of all active QBs. He knocked more wins than any 2 year QB ever. I just can't see, with that Super Bowl Championship, that any of our other QBs beat that.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Still too early for that don't ya think. Superbowl winning QB yes. But better than Moon ? Or Hass in his prime .kreig ,Zorn there may have not been a superbowl winning QB in Seahawks history untill Wilson but ill still give the benifit if the doubt to some other signal callers we used to love just as much .

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seems there are still a few guys hangin onto their Hass jerseys.... sorry but Wilson is THE BEST HAWK QB OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!