Does this victory make Russell our greatest QB ever?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Considering that he has done, in only two years, what every other Seahawks Quarterback before him has striven towards you kind of have to say YEAH!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Two years is an awful short body of work. It's a terribly small snapshot to compare with the career here that Matt Hasselbeck had. Matt still has one more playoff win than Russell, and he's a whole lot of regular season wins ahead. That said, he's only 122 TD passes ahead of Russell, and Russell has a Super Bowl trophy to go with the Halas Trophy they both have.

To further make this comparison understandable, let's look at a guy like Lofa Tatupu. His first three years, he was flat unstoppable. A huge fan favorite, and arguably in everyone's conversation as the best linebacker in Seahawks history. Now? Not so much. He peaked and faded fast, and in retrospect, he doesn't look nearly the player we once thought he was. Do I fear a similar trajectory for Wilson? No. Not at all. I think Wilson has a great chance to go down as an all-time great in the league, not just in Seahawks history. But let's not crown him too early.

Still, he's got that Super Bowl ring, and that counts for a lot.

Edit: And lest we forget, we were dominating the first part of XL*, right up until the point where things went black and white striped and pear-shaped. Were that game to have been called fair and square, and we were to have returned with the Lombardi, Hasselbeck would be clearly out in front, and would stay there for a long time yet to come.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Sort-by-rings is a massively overrated metric that completely ignores the natural variance that exists in the NFL. I think it's a close question just like it was a week ago. Obviously Matt Hasselbeck wins with this defense too.

Exittium

Reaction score
IT makes him better then his whole draft class

KDshouldBeOurMJ

Reaction score
dbmack":2r5ymo02 said:
Yes. He will also be the best Seattle athlete in history, if he isn't already.
I honestly do beleve that russ winning the big one along with him puttin down the most wins in 2 years, passer rating record for first 2 years, pepsi max rookie of the year, sports illustrated rookie of the year, and breaking seahawks qb records make him the best seahawks qb ever HANDS DOWN.
In football winning championships is all that matters. If Matt won back in '05 he would hold that crown.
And russell winning the steve largent award for his community services in seattle his first year here and all the work he has done with less fortunate people and kids sky rockets him up that list.
BUT Lynch is the all time seahawks post season rusher, all time leader in post season 25yd plus td runs, he revamped this fanbase, he gave the start to this dynasty before it was here, he has carried this new prolific team on his back, he has put more effort in a seahawk stadium than i have ever seen, HE CREATES EARTHQUAKES FOR GODS SAKE.
As of now, largent hold that award for greatest seahawk athlete, with walter jones behind him, then lynch, then Russ.
You just cant put players that have a lot of play left in them in front of 1st ballot HOFers.
Not to mention largent being the only 1st ballot wide out aside from jerry rice in like twenty years.
I will say i when these guys playing now are retired and hopefully waiting on that call for a gold jacket, that Russell will be the number one seahawks athlete with 2nd either being lynch or largent, then walter at 4th. You cant take anything from largent being 1st on that list since he doesnt have a ring since qbs are the only players held accountable for championships or lack thereof.
RUSSELL last name WILSON gets this one too!

hawker84

Reaction score
yes , and i put him right up there with all the Seattle greats including gus williams and downtown freddy brown..
Same with Pete. right there with Lenny and above Holgrem.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":33cg75xl said:
Two years is an awful short body of work. It's a terribly small snapshot to compare with the career here that Matt Hasselbeck had. Matt still has one more playoff win than Russell, and he's a whole lot of regular season wins ahead. That said, he's only 122 TD passes ahead of Russell, and Russell has a Super Bowl trophy to go with the Halas Trophy they both have.

To further make this comparison understandable, let's look at a guy like Lofa Tatupu. His first three years, he was flat unstoppable. A huge fan favorite, and arguably in everyone's conversation as the best linebacker in Seahawks history. Now? Not so much. He peaked and faded fast, and in retrospect, he doesn't look nearly the player we once thought he was. Do I fear a similar trajectory for Wilson? No. Not at all. I think Wilson has a great chance to go down as an all-time great in the league, not just in Seahawks history. But let's not crown him too early.

Still, he's got that Super Bowl ring, and that counts for a lot.

Edit: And lest we forget, we were dominating the first part of XL*, right up until the point where things went black and white striped and pear-shaped. Were that game to have been called fair and square, and we were to have returned with the Lombardi, Hasselbeck would be clearly out in front, and would stay there for a long time yet to come.

I agree with everything you said. I think the differentiator for some is that Matt was a Green Bay product before he was welcomed into the collective, whereas Russell is all ours!

THE TABS

Reaction score
In my mind, he cinched that claim with the OT road win over Chicago in 2012. No quarterback in the history of this franchise even comes remotely close to him.

Rob12

Reaction score
Absolutely.

28 wins in two years. A 17-1 record at home. 100+ career passer rating. Tied with Manning for second most TD passes after the first two years of a career. 1,000+ rushing yards.

4-1 career record in the playoffs.

SUPER BOWL WINNING QUARTERBACK

I know it's early, but in my mind, he absolutely is the greatest quarterback we have ever had and he's just going to get better.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
This is a question i'd usually have too much respect for the other guys for to say yes,

but I don't really know what else you could possibly need to see.

he's a superbowl champ in season 2 with the most wins in nfl history in his first 2 years, a 4-1 playoff record already in which he's only thrown one interception that wasn't even on him (hail mary Atlanta)

QB rating over 100 career is good for 2nd all time.

I could obviously go on. But this guy's just getting started.

I love dave krieg and matt hasselbeck, and until Wilson I would go with Matt as our greatest QB. But in his first two two seasons he was a backup in green bay; In Wilson's first two he's a superbowl champion.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
100+ QB rating in the regular season AND postseason in his career so far. Wilson just doesnt make mistakes...he just doesnt. I would say half of his INTS arent even his fault. There are only a handful of ints that you could say were bad throws or bad decisions

SuperFreak

Reaction score
You play to win the game, Russell has won at the highest level there is, no other Seahawks QB did that here. He is hands down our best QB even if he walks away from football and never plays another snap.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
You guys sure are intent on overlooking the whole "sort-by-rings is an obviously overrated and incredibly simplistic metric" aspect of this question. But going by overall performance I do think Russell has an argument over Hasselbeck already.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If we're being honest with ourselves, the eye ball test already told us he was the most talented QB Seattle has ever had. He is the first one we comfortably threw the "franchise QB" label on almost immediately. This win just confirms what we already knew. From a pure talent standpoint, Russell Wilson is already the greatest QB in Seahawks history and now it's most successful. How long before we knew Griffey was the greatest Mariner ever? Sometimes it's just that evident.

So, YES.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Rob12":1c6w1b1g said:
Absolutely.

28 wins in two years. A 17-1 record at home. 100+ career passer rating. Tied with Manning for second most TD passes after the first two years of a career. 1,000+ rushing yards.

4-1 career record in the playoffs.

SUPER BOWL WINNING QUARTERBACK

I know it's early, but in my mind, he absolutely is the greatest quarterback we have ever had and he's just going to get better.

This sums it up for me.

He doesn't have the accumulation of stats that our other QBs have, especially Hasselbeck...but you can't really argue that Wilson hasn't accomplished more in 2 years than anyone else we've ever had.

Latest posts