Does the Allen deal change our draft?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
There are still guys out there in FA who could do very well on our line..There are some players who are going to be cut before June who are good..I mean it's pretty simple to me that if the fo id's players who
fit the profile ..They will grab them or trade for them which happens a lot on draft day..So I'm going to just have fun and see what happens..We will be pretty good regardless of any move...

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
kearly":i7og2z75 said:
Scottemojo":i7og2z75 said:
I don't think so. If they were that concerned, they would have kept Clem.

Also, it isn't the deepest of DE drafts. I suspect we will get one later in the draft, there are a couple of projects that are athletic freaks.

I don't want to make too big a deal out of it, but I think the Clemons decision backfired on them. I think their expectation was that Clemons would have zero market and that in a worst case scenario, they could sign him back for peanuts. Instead, he signs immediately in Jacksonville, for decent money too. There are still some veteran options out there, but I think they would have preferred Clemons out of that group because of scheme fit and familiarity. Had they held on to him longer, or attempted a restructure while pointing to the ice-cold markets of Spencer / Phillips, they could have probably kept him for a reasonable sum of money.

That said, I think Schofield was roughly as good at LEO last season as Clemons was, and we could probably get him back dirt cheap. I hope we do.

Interesting. My thoughts were that Pete and Schneider had a plan in place. They cut both Red and Clem. Didn't ask to restructure, didn't see if there was a trade market.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
So when our pick comes up we just take the best available player between the remaining pass rushers, OL, or WR ? Or do we prioritize one possition need over the others?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3pu4pvh1 said:
So when our pick comes up we just take the best available player between the remaining pass rushers, OL, or WR ? Or do we prioritize one possition need over the others?

It will come down to grades on the board.

Seattle is moving away from a 'need based' draft. In 2010/11/12 and 13 -- the draft has always been prefaced by Pete with a pretty candid admission for what the team needs going into the offseason. This year however we heard a completely new dictate: Need to get better everywhere.

I expect it will be a blend of top grade relative to what we have -- combined with grades expected to be available down the line. I can see us passing on the BPA grade at 32 in favor of a lesser grade if that BPA graded position has a lot of good grades left on the board.

We expect the OL grades to be high, because it's a position of perceived need. But that's not necessarily the case. Seattle has a unique skillset that they require to execute their ZBS scheme. So a lot of prospects that have a high outside grade could be very low on our own board. If there are 12 OL prospects graded in the top 75 -- maybe only 6 of them would even be on our board at all.

Similarly, the WR position is also considered a need position. The draft is unusually thick in WRs capable of being in the top 75. But not all of them are going to be ones on our board. We don't even really know if we're going to replace Tate via the draft. I expected Tate to walk and for us to replace him with a competition of Baldwin and Kearse. I wouldn't even concede that most of the day 2 WRs in this class will grade favorably relative to Kearse. We like him internally and he has developed exceedingly well. He's a very good #2 WR and is still improving.

We certainly have an opening at the X. Chris Matthews is currently the guy at that position. His grade is probably non existent. There are a lot of options that would address that position and some of them still in day 3 of the draft. I don't believe it's a given that we go big WR at 32.

It's an interesting draft. Made more so by the lack of real need on the team. Seattle could go virtually any direction. I could see us going in different directions entirely (TE/DB/LB) too.

The reason for that is pretty simple. We don't know what the basis for our grades on the existing roster will be. In particular -- we don't know if expected attrition in 2015 will factor into our 2014 grades. If it does, then our board expands tremendously.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2169wfsr said:
Who plays 5 card draw anymore?
I do, but only if it's 2 draws and several wild cards--I want to be able to build a royale flush.

Sac

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3cf8kjb4 said:
SacHawk2.0":3cf8kjb4 said:
Who plays 5 card draw anymore?
I do, but only if it's 2 draws and several wild cards--I want to be able to build a royale flush.

lol that's not poker. That's bingo.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":zsl8slec said:
brimsalabim":zsl8slec said:

It will come down to grades on the board.

Seattle is moving away from a 'need based' draft. In 2010/11/12 and 13 -- the draft has always been prefaced by Pete with a pretty candid admission for what the team needs going into the offseason. This year however we heard a completely new dictate: Need to get better everywhere.

I expect it will be a blend of top grade relative to what we have -- combined with grades expected to be available down the line. I can see us passing on the BPA grade at 32 in favor of a lesser grade if that BPA graded position has a lot of good grades left on the board.

We expect the OL grades to be high, because it's a position of perceived need. But that's not necessarily the case. Seattle has a unique skillset that they require to execute their ZBS scheme. So a lot of prospects that have a high outside grade could be very low on our own board. If there are 12 OL prospects graded in the top 75 -- maybe only 6 of them would even be on our board at all.

Similarly, the WR position is also considered a need position. The draft is unusually thick in WRs capable of being in the top 75. But not all of them are going to be ones on our board. We don't even really know if we're going to replace Tate via the draft. I expected Tate to walk and for us to replace him with a competition of Baldwin and Kearse. I wouldn't even concede that most of the day 2 WRs in this class will grade favorably relative to Kearse. We like him internally and he has developed exceedingly well. He's a very good #2 WR and is still improving.

We certainly have an opening at the X. Chris Matthews is currently the guy at that position. His grade is probably non existent. There are a lot of options that would address that position and some of them still in day 3 of the draft. I don't believe it's a given that we go big WR at 32.

It's an interesting draft. Made more so by the lack of real need on the team. Seattle could go virtually any direction. I could see us going in different directions entirely (TE/DB/LB) too.

The reason for that is pretty simple. We don't know what the basis for our grades on the existing roster will be. In particular -- we don't know if expected attrition in 2015 will factor into our 2014 grades. If it does, then our board expands tremendously.

Doesn't Percy Harvin play Tate's position? I thought there was some conflict there, getting them both on the field at the same time. Seems like the obvious move would be to just use Percy, and draft the tall physical guy to take on the role Rice was supposed to play.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2sjadaih said:
Doesn't Percy Harvin play Tate's position? I thought there was some conflict there, getting them both on the field at the same time. Seems like the obvious move would be to just use Percy, and draft the tall physical guy to take on the role Rice was supposed to play.

No, Harvin plays the slot. That's been Baldwin's primary position but he's also played Z. Kearse was 2nd string at X and Z receiver. Tate 1st at Z. Rice 1st at X.

Kearse is more suited to play Z and could excel there.

The real void is at the X receiver (Split end). Both Baldwin and Kearse can work Tate's position and Baldwin can continue to work the slot should Harvin be lost for any length of time.