Do we need a tall WR?

chris98251

Reaction score
I think we are looking, Presley has the body type I think we are looking for, but skill set has been the issue in all our recruiting of these types, the smaller quicker guys keep winning the battles and making the plays. Not sure if it is due to the smaller quicker guys being able to separate from our bigger DB's and look better or if it's flat out skill. But it seems to be a trend.

The Radish

Reaction score
I think that a taller receivers in the red zone would be a help. Other than that. Please remember not everyone is a JJ type of receiver.

:les:

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Trades have been brought up by everyone looking at the situation as a way out for a potential Hall of Famer, who has said he doesn’t want to go through re-building again with Houston. The teams that have been mentioned include the Brown, Patriots and others.

But on Wednesday the Seahawks announced that Sidney Rice has retired at the age of 27. That is a team that would seem to fit everything that Andre would want, has the cap space, and could give the Texans their best shot at a first round pick.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/23/ ... -everyone/

hawknation2014

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":7d5zii28 said:
Trades have been brought up by everyone looking at the situation as a way out for a potential Hall of Famer, who has said he doesn’t want to go through re-building again with Houston. The teams that have been mentioned include the Brown, Patriots and others.

But on Wednesday the Seahawks announced that Sidney Rice has retired at the age of 27. That is a team that would seem to fit everything that Andre would want, has the cap space, and could give the Texans their best shot at a first round pick.

$15 million a year contract, LOL. No, we don't have space for that.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1nknn00y said:
dontbelikethat":1nknn00y said:

$15 million a year contract, LOL. No, we don't have space for that.

15m cap hit with a 10m base salary, but there would definitely be a restructure if he was traded. Even if there wasn't a restructure, Texans would take most of the damage with a 12m cap hit and we would take the rest (3m). Years after that would need some thinking(restructuring) though. Definitely a hefty price, but obviously has to be like that for a great player.

Not saying we should trade for him, but just putting it out there.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3dj78fcj said:
We have speed on the outside now. We have TE for tall wr's, and the Matthews kid.

My main issue with Matthews is he seems quite poor after the catch and the Seahawks do seem to be about the more you can do.

McGruff

Reaction score
jammerhawk":mh0j3enx said:
Morrell Presley is added to the team today as a WR not as a TE and NFL draft scout says he's 6'4"-225. So in answer to the above ? it appears the FO is still interested in adding that right big guy at WR.

I didn't mean to insinuate that they aren't interested, merely that its not as big a priority for them as it is for us fans. They were interested in Jackson and Marshall, but not enough to pony up the draft capital of massive contract that they gave for Percy Harvin. They spent later round picks on Durham and Harper, but high picks on Tate and Richardson.

Even with Richardson, we were all clamoring for the 6'4", 230 pound guys in the first and second round, and they drafted a guy who played college ball at 165. They would like size, but not as nearly as much as speed and RAC.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
McGruff":39pkeojo said:
A tall WR is something the fans want, but I'm not convinced its a major priority for the team. Rice is the only tall WR we've sunk major resources into in the Carroll/Schneider era. Meanwhile, during that time we've spent two high picks on smaller WR's (Tate and Richardson), traded multiple high pick for a smaller WR (Harvin), and made a priority out of re-signing a smaller WR (Baldwin).

Other than Rice, the big WR's we've gone after have been late round picks and street free agents.

This teams seems to value speed and RAC ability far more than size at the position. Get used to it.

I think its something fans want because PC said was important to him when he first came to the team, but he has since changed his tune on what he wants/adapted and fans have yet to catch onto that.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1ohjlu9g said:
jammerhawk":1ohjlu9g said:
Morrell Presley is added to the team today as a WR not as a TE and NFL draft scout says he's 6'4"-225. So in answer to the above ? it appears the FO is still interested in adding that right big guy at WR.

I didn't mean to insinuate that they aren't interested, merely that its not as big a priority for them as it is for us fans. They were interested in Jackson and Marshall, but not enough to pony up the draft capital of massive contract that they gave for Percy Harvin. They spent later round picks on Durham and Harper, but high picks on Tate and Richardson.

Even with Richardson, we were all clamoring for the 6'4", 230 pound guys in the first and second round, and they drafted a guy who played college ball at 165. They would like size, but not as nearly as much as speed and RAC.

You know I mostly agree with you, speed and RAC are their focus. More than anything I suspect they are looking for players with distinctive skills. Although we haven't seen it yet from Richardson Deshawn Jackson type speed is high value precondition and Richardson is very exceptionally fast and quick, like Harvin who is unusually fast and ellusive too, making matchup problems for opposing teams. From what I've read, and it's not much, Presley was a very solid HBack type TE with good RAC skills coming to UCLA as his first college stop, so far I don't know why he changed schools though. Perhaps he was already on Pete's radar as a potential big WR then. If the right big guy is available then they grab that guy, however not at the cost of speed or RAC.

They have since the outset been constantly sifting through a large number of big bodied WRs though, trying to find a guy who might be a player who could make a difference maker or good jumpball type guy. Fits the bigger stronger faster credo somewhat. I don't know the team needs a tall WR but think the FO would like to have one in a perfect world. Having that guy allows them to change their look in some packages.