Do the Pats receivers scare you?

kjreid

Reaction score
Let's face it, the Pats WR's get their catches by the exotic lineups that create mismatches prior to the snap. That doesn't have to Seattles D because we don't match up with the O's schemes, we sit in our scheme and play straight up. So Gronk will be the issue and if Kam get's caught up in leaning towards Gronk then Edelman might have a decent game through the other seam. other than that krank up Blount and we are good to go.

Boycie

Reaction score
Your D scares no one, kiddo. No one is afraid of your overrated physicality. No one is afraid of your speed. Your secondary is awesome, but that's not the way to beat Brady and this offense. The way to beat it is with a strong Dline that can get interior pressure. You can't do that.

The match up just isn't in your favor. You had a successful season last year but this year your time is up.

Better luck next year.[/quote]
If this guy keeps saying "kiddo" in threads, I'm going to punch a baby.

We've had the displeasure of reading posts about how this team and that team were different and wouldn't succumb to our overrated defense and struggling offense all year. In the end, they seldom return on the Monday after the game when their super stars had been completely shut down and their hopes and dreams of "winning it all" died a brutal death at the hands of our seahawks.

If our team finds a way to piss the game away I'll gladly congratulate you but at this point I just want to tell you to take a number and get in line with the rest of the recently departed trolls.

You literally sound like so many that have come and gone. All I can say is, "I'm sorry for your loss", pat you on the ass and wish you luck next year. It's not your year, "kiddo"
.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Damn, we really need a "rep point" system, because this^ would be an all time fav!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TBtoRG":1ltjjw6l said:
Your D scares no one, kiddo. No one is afraid of your overrated physicality. No one is afraid of your speed. Your secondary is awesome, but that's not the way to beat Brady and this offense. The way to beat it is with a strong Dline that can get interior pressure. You can't do that.

The match up just isn't in your favor. You had a successful season last year but this year your time is up.

Better luck next year.

Are all Pats fans like this? Cause that's the impression I'm getting from all the social media sites I've been on the past week.

It's like some sort of delusional bravado, no respect for opponents, everyone hates us cause they're jealous and the Pats are the greatest unbeatable team of all time.

The Hawks have one of the best defenses in modern football history, to say they have no chance to stop Brady and your offense when ALL THEY'VE DONE OVER THE PAST THREE YEARS IS STOP EVERY "ELITE" QB THEY'VE PLAYED is not only disrespectful, but it undermines your credibility as a intelligent fan that we enjoy debating football with.

So if you're going to just come in here and thump your chest and troll, then save us from your drivel and go back to the cozy safe confines of whatever sycophantic Patriot's fan site you came from.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Thomas144":ssjnj1tb said:
Reading this thread last night I suddenly remembered that Seattle is the team that traded a first-round draft pick for Deion Branch, of all people. So I think the only thing you have to be afraid of is that your team will trade for one of the Patriots' receivers in the off-season. :)

The Patriots do not really have a deep-threat wide receiver on the roster, with the possible exception of the little-used Brian Tyms. When you don't have a very good offensive line and your quarterback doesn't get a lot of time to throw, you are looking to complete short passes anyway. Brady's talent is that he is very quick to make a decision and to get rid of the ball.

If however Belichick puts Tyms on the roster for the Superbowl I would take that as a clear tell that they plan to attempt to go deep at some point. I don't really expect that they will do this but it's something to look for before the game on Sunday.

Throwing deep isn't a good matchup for the Pats vs us. This is our strength. We give up very few deep balls. And Brady was ranked 25th in 2013 on deep ball accuracy. And hasn't been very good throwing deep for a long time. He is 37 years old now.

Personally I hope he tests us deep a few times as I like our chances very much.

Here's a Boston link that supports this:

http://nesn.com/2014/10/scout-tom-brady ... ardage-qb/

Here's the breakdown (2014 stats do not reflect entire seaso)
2014: 1 of 16 (6.3 percent)
2013: 20 of 66 (39.4 percent)
2012: 20 of 84 (40.5 percent)
2011: 20 of 60 (41.7 percent)
2010: 17 of 45 (44.4 percent)
2009: 19 of 68 (32.4 percent)
2007: 31 of 73 (50.7 percent)

Vetamur

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":je2031q6 said:
Chawks1":je2031q6 said:
TBtoRG":je2031q6 said:
HawkNuts":je2031q6 said:
The Pats have played a soft schedule and have struggled against physical and physically gifted defenses. I would expect the same results against the Seahawks.

Plus when Tommy Boy squeezes that ball it just might not feel the same as it has in previous weeks.

NE has beaten Buffalo, NYJ x2, Detroit, and Baltimore. All good and physical defenses. They put up a ton of points in most of those games.

Note: Week 17 game vs Buffalo, NE had most of their starters out.

Stop making things up.

Stop making things up? Like Bleichicks science on how weather only affected 11 out of 42 footballs??? Ok.

If you think those were good physical defenses you better wear a seatbelt when you watch the game. Not only do we have a historical defense that has given up the fewest points in 3 consecutive years, but we will steal your soul too. Look at what happened to our final 10 opponents this year after we played them. 0-10thenext week. Your franchise may not recover. If you don't think so look at Denver and San Francisco right now. They are completely rebuilding because we stole their souls. It's called the Seahawks affect.

Unfortunately for you the Hawks D is banged up and not nearly the force they were a year ago. Like the Ravens of 2000 and the 85 Bears, this "historical" D will win their 1 trophy and find out how hard it is to be the best year after year. On top of that, the Pats D will dominate the weak Hawks offense, which is really the story of this game. You won't be scoring more than 16, so that historical D better be ready to limit Brady and company to 15, with no real pass rush. If they can do that, maybe they are historical. Don't bet the house though.

Talk about making stuff up.

No. Our D isnt banged up. I assume you are talking about Sherman and Thomas since youve been obsessing over that and repeating the mantra about them being hurt like the mere repetition of the words might make it true. Sherman didnt even miss a single play. It was a hyperextension, and he has two weeks two heal and isnt even missing practice time. Thomas took his two days off. he is fine. Our D isnt banged up and except for interceptions they are statistically just as good as last year.. quit trying to make yourself feel better by pretending they arent. Interceptions are down simply because teams stopped throwing certain routes all together.

You lack all sense of objectivity. Our offense ranks in the top 10, but is somehow mediocre? Our quarterback has more rushing yards than your top 2 two running backs combined..and is our second leading rusher. Can you honestly say your team has faced a team that rushes any where near like ours does , in quality and style? Have you looked at our yards per carry? Have you looked at the yards per carry your team gives up?

And we have "no real pass rush"? Ah. Because you dont see any ONE guy with 18 sacks? Better look at what weve done lately, and how Seattle always (including last year) spreads the sacks out because of positioning and rotation.

Increasingly Im convinced the only thing you know about Seattle is from watching highlights of the Packers game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Vetamur":3gof3919 said:

No. Our D isnt banged up.

Semantics, banged up, thin, whatever.

You can't tell me the combo of Sherman and Thomas not being 100% and no Mebane and Hill doesn't concern you with Brady and getting interior pressure.

Don't get me wrong, this is still an Elite D, but it's not our usual full compliment of players, and nowhere near the depth we had at last year's SB.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ac3crqd said:
Vetamur":1ac3crqd said:

No. Our D isnt banged up.

Semantics, banged up, thin, whatever.

You can't tell me the combo of Sherman and Thomas not being 100% and no Mebane and Hill doesn't concern you with Brady and getting interior pressure.

Don't get me wrong, this is still an Elite D, but it's not our usual full compliment of players, and nowhere near the depth we had at last year's SB.

Pretty sure our defense got statistically better when Mebane got IR'ed. Jordan Hill we for sure miss. But hes IRed. Thats not what people mean when they say banged up. They mean the people actually playing are playing hurt. On 2 weeks rest Kevin Williams will be ready to play 60 minutes, and we got Dobbs back.

Sherman will be 100%. Again, he didnt even miss a play. Its a hyperextended elbow with 2 weeks of healing. It wont effect his game play. Not all dislocations are created equal, and if Thomas' injury were meaningful they would have given him more time off. The day of the injury he missed one series, came back and still made another impressive tackle.

Injuries just arent going to play a factor.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They look mediocre to me but a HOF QB can turn a mediocre receiver into someone better than they are. Just ask Brandon Lloyd or Dieon Branch. Anyway, the current Patriot WRs aren't scary by themselves but they have Brady throwing to them.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wadlx9b said:
TBtoRG":1wadlx9b said:

Better luck next year.

Are all Pats fans like this? Cause that's the impression I'm getting from all the social media sites I've been on the past week.

It's like some sort of delusional bravado, no respect for opponents, everyone hates us cause they're jealous and the Pats are the greatest unbeatable team of all time.

The Hawks have one of the best defenses in modern football history, to say they have no chance to stop Brady and your offense when ALL THEY'VE DONE OVER THE PAST THREE YEARS IS STOP EVERY "ELITE" QB THEY'VE PLAYED is not only disrespectful, but it undermines your credibility as a intelligent fan that we enjoy debating football with.

So if you're going to just come in here and thump your chest and troll, then save us from your drivel and go back to the cozy safe confines of whatever sycophantic Patriot's fan site you came from.

I think he's reacting to many posters here who's total contribution is to talk about the "historical" physicality and speed of the Hawks defense. Green Bay sure didn't seem outclassed, though I'll give kudos to the Hawks red zone performance.

NE is not intimidated, rest assured, they've seen it all. Your front 4 is going to have a lot of trouble getting pressure on Brady, and that's the biggest factor in this matchup. Your injuries at DL and DB are going to be too much to overcome frankly.

LITP

Reaction score
Hey all,

Patriots fan just joined up on the advice of 'BlackSantasBicycle' who posted over at Patsfans.com.

You'll be relieved to hear that I shan't be addressing any of the defegate nonsense but i'm more than happy to air my ignorance on a number of football related topics!

Patriots WR should definitely not intimidate anyone at all - individually they aren't all that special in terms of physical attributes - Edelman is excellent in the slot (and unlike Welker) can split out wide when needed.

Do the Patriots WR need to have an intimidatingly good game to win, though? Probably not.

Josh McDaniels is one of the better OC's in the league - i'm hopeful he can scheme up something special against a defence that is going to test the Patriots to the absolute maximum.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
TBtoRG":3n5llkuo said:
SPIRITOF12":3n5llkuo said:
They didn't scare the Buffalo Bills who held the Patriots to 9 points (In New England) at that last regular season game, and beat them 17 to 9. Or the Chiefs 41-14, or the Packers 26-21, or the Dolphins, yes I said the Dolphins who beat them 33 to 20.
The Patriot receivers are good, damn good. So were the Broncos receivers, and look what happened.

Most of our starters were out in that week 17 game vs Buffalo and the ones who did play only played for a half.

This is a completely different team than the one that played KC in week 4. So that game isn't even worth addressing.

We played the Packers in GB. You had the luxury of playing them in Seattle both times. If that game last week (which took a miracle for Seattle to win) is played in GB, they run you off the field with ease.

We slaughtered the Dolphins 41-13 in week 14.

Fortunately for us they will be using REGULATION footballs in the superbowl.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":1ksir8jg said:
Sgt. Largent":1ksir8jg said:
TBtoRG":1ksir8jg said:

Better luck next year.

I think he's reacting to many posters here who's total contribution is to talk about the "historical" physicality and speed of the Hawks defense. Green Bay sure didn't seem outclassed, though I'll give kudos to the Hawks red zone performance.

NE is not intimidated, rest assured, they've seen it all. Your front 4 is going to have a lot of trouble getting pressure on Brady, and that's the biggest factor in this matchup. Your injuries at DL and DB are going to be too much to overcome frankly.

Seattle fan: Team.

Stupid Patriot answer: Brady.

Seattle fan: But team.

Stupid Patriot fan: Brady.

And you wonder why you end up compared to the Bronco fans last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Gronk scares me, he's a matchup nightmare.......and unlike soft ass TE's like Graham and Davis, Gronk is tough and won't be taken out of the game by getting hit a few times.

But the Hawks have erased just about every TE they've ever faced, save for Gates earlier this year..........but unless it's going to be 120 degrees on the field Sunday and Kam all of a sudden shows up gimpy I wouldn't expect that sort of performance out of Gronk.

themunn

Reaction score
Edelman v D.Thomas
LaFell v Decker
Amendola v Welker
Gronkowski v J.Thomas
Blount v Moreno

Gronkowski is the only player better than his 2013 counterpart, and there's not that much between them, it's like comparing Revis to Sherman

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think as a general rule QBs make receivers much more than receivers make QBs.

There are only a few exceptions to this in the league at any one time, meaning, receivers that are talented enough to "make" their QBs appear to be better than they are.

At the tight end position, Gronkowski (in a category alone with Jimmy Graham) is able to do that.

I think the Pats strategy going back has been to basically penny pinch on receivers save for one guy, because they know that as long as they have Brady he'll make those guys look better than they are.

Same story with the Packers and Rodgers, the revolving door of WRs for Brees, etc.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Here are NE's receiving weapons:

NAME REC YDS AVG TD LONG 20+ YDS/G FUM/FUML YAC 1DN
Rob Gronkowski 82 1124 13.7 12 46 19 74.9 0 0 475 60
Julian Edelman 92 972 10.6 4 69 7 69.4 2 0 448 49
Brandon LaFell 74 953 12.9 7 56 10 59.6 1 1 356 50
Shane Vereen 52 447 8.6 3 49 4 27.9 0 0 391 24
Tim Wright 26 259 10.0 6 30 3 16.2 0 0 101 18
Danny Amendola 27 200 7.4 1 21 1 12.5 0 0 66 12

Gronk didn't do much the first 4 games coming back from ACL in November 2013. Lafell and Edelman very underrated. Vereen a good receiving back. Those 4 are constant threats for the 10-15 yard reception. Wish there were 1 other threat off the bench but lost him to IR (Dobson).

Wright has disappeared. Amendola has been productive lately but lacks the physical tools to be dangerous.

[edit: this chart looks good prior to posting, sorry]

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
themunn":3o2janvh said:
Edelman v D.Thomas
LaFell v Decker
Amendola v Welker
Gronkowski v J.Thomas
Blount v Moreno

Gronkowski is the only player better than his 2013 counterpart, and there's not that much between them, it's like comparing Revis to Sherman

It's a fair point, but I'd say that:
- Brady > Manning
- Belichick/McDaniels > Fox/Gase
- Denver played right into Seattle's hands with their attempted pick plays
- your D isn't as good right now compared to a year ago, especially in the QB pressure area.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qw98g9y said:
Gronk scares me, he's a matchup nightmare.......and unlike soft ass TE's like Graham and Davis, Gronk is tough and won't be taken out of the game by getting hit a few times.

But the Hawks have erased just about every TE they've ever faced, save for Gates earlier this year..........but unless it's going to be 120 degrees on the field Sunday and Kam all of a sudden shows up gimpy I wouldn't expect that sort of performance out of Gronk.

Gronk is special but Brady can go to him too often - I'd say half of his INT's (easily) are trying to force it into Gronk. Brady has to play a clean game, and he needs LaFell especially to play his best game this week. He's been dinged up with shoulder and toe injuries, but hopefully the 2 weeks off healed him up.

NE's at their best when they're in hurry up and Brady is mixing it up to different guys on different types of patterns. Short-short-bam down the seam.

bostonhardo

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3ha3jwug said:
themunn":3ha3jwug said:
Edelman v D.Thomas
LaFell v Decker
Amendola v Welker
Gronkowski v J.Thomas
Blount v Moreno

It's a fair point, but I'd say that:
- Brady > Manning
- Belichick/McDaniels > Fox/Gase
- Denver played right into Seattle's hands with their attempted pick plays
- your D isn't as good right now compared to a year ago, especially in the QB pressure area.

You are out of your mind. The Pats can't even come close to Denvers offense from last year. Don't forget they haven't played anybody like our Hawks. Patsies lucky if they even attempt a field goal let alone score.

Forget stopping CW. Patsies haven't seen anyone like him. ten years from now he will own Canton.

Go Hawks!

Latest posts