Do the Pats receivers scare you?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3vuuarkt said:
I'm not too worried about Blount. KJ, Earl, Kam and Bobby will bring him down on every tackle. One thing about our team recent surge has been the tackling.

Another element of the 'recent surge' was bringing the heat and getting home once Jordan Hill had his breakthrough.
Looking at a rather large body of evidence, the way to thwart Tom Brady is bringing consistent pressure and managing to knock him on his ass more than a few times. Granted, none of those teams had our secondary, but we saw what a lesser QB like Romo can do given time.

If the pass rush from the 'recent surge' was still at full strength, I would have absolutly no worries about this game. Our current, very weak pass rush along with so, so run defense will likely make the game too 'interesting' for comfort.

One thing Bill B. does really well is game plan for a team's weakness and hit those soft spots repeatedly. That's one thing I liked about Holmgren as well. Bevell will go away from a game plan that is working just to be unpredictable/cute.

blazen2392

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3d5om4t3 said:
Gronk is their only elite threat, and I'm not too worried about that matchup. He's like Jimmy Graham in that he doesn't like contact at the line of scrimmage. I expect to see him in the slot, off the line of scrimmage, a lot, with NE's hope that he can get a free release. If Gronk is getting popped a lot at the LOS, he's going to have a tough time getting open. Edelman is another Wes Welker prototype. Great hands, good route runner, average game speed, and another receiver type we tend to handle well on defense. Over the past few years, there have only been a couple WRs to really give us fits, Mike Wallace (oh, so long ago) and TY Hilton, and both are smaller burners with track speed. I trust our boys are doing their homework in the scouting department.

I don't know who you have been watching but the Gronk Ive seen play is in a completely different tier than Graham. Much more physical, Much better hand, better body awareness, gets better seperation, and much more reliable as a blocker. No receiver enjoys being jammed at the line of scrimmage, but Gronk is far more physical, and get off jams better than Graham does. While I do agree we have the personel to keep him in check, you gotta give respect where respect is due. His presence on the field alone is going to give us fits. He will draw attention and open things up for their offense

bobdigital

Reaction score
I don't think you should fear our WRs. They are competent and fairly talented though and so can not be dismissed. More importantly than that though they are in sync with Brady which means they will be able to find the soft spots if you play zone on them. In man on man Edelman is the bigger problem of the 2. He is not going to make a big play on a D of your caliber but he is too quick for any of your CBs in a small box and will move the chains on those 3rd and 5s.

I would also tell you not to forget about Vereen. He has not been talked about much but he is someone that can make things happen out of a backfield on misdirection plays but his hands are a bit in question and he is not as tough as Edelman/Gronk/Lafell so a few hard hits might work wonders on him.

Chawks1

Reaction score
TBtoRG":1066ytrx said:
HawkNuts":1066ytrx said:
The Pats have played a soft schedule and have struggled against physical and physically gifted defenses. I would expect the same results against the Seahawks.

Plus when Tommy Boy squeezes that ball it just might not feel the same as it has in previous weeks.

NE has beaten Buffalo, NYJ x2, Detroit, and Baltimore. All good and physical defenses. They put up a ton of points in most of those games.

Note: Week 17 game vs Buffalo, NE had most of their starters out.

Stop making things up.

Stop making things up? Like Bleichicks science on how weather only affected 11 out of 42 footballs??? Ok.

If you think those were good physical defenses you better wear a seatbelt when you watch the game. Not only do we have a historical defense that has given up the fewest points in 3 consecutive years, but we will steal your soul too. Look at what happened to our final 10 opponents this year after we played them. 0-10thenext week. Your franchise may not recover. If you don't think so look at Denver and San Francisco right now. They are completely rebuilding because we stole their souls. It's called the Seahawks affect.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Chawks1":zuc6uwwx said:
TBtoRG":zuc6uwwx said:
HawkNuts":zuc6uwwx said:
The Pats have played a soft schedule and have struggled against physical and physically gifted defenses. I would expect the same results against the Seahawks.

Plus when Tommy Boy squeezes that ball it just might not feel the same as it has in previous weeks.

NE has beaten Buffalo, NYJ x2, Detroit, and Baltimore. All good and physical defenses. They put up a ton of points in most of those games.

Stop making things up.

Stop making things up? Like Bleichicks science on how weather only affected 11 out of 42 footballs??? Ok.

If you think those were good physical defenses you better wear a seatbelt when you watch the game. Not only do we have a historical defense that has given up the fewest points in 3 consecutive years, but we will steal your soul too. Look at what happened to our final 10 opponents this year after we played them. 0-10thenext week. Your franchise may not recover. If you don't think so look at Denver and San Francisco right now. They are completely rebuilding because we stole their souls. It's called the Seahawks affect.

Unfortunately for you the Hawks D is banged up and not nearly the force they were a year ago. Like the Ravens of 2000 and the 85 Bears, this "historical" D will win their 1 trophy and find out how hard it is to be the best year after year. On top of that, the Pats D will dominate the weak Hawks offense, which is really the story of this game. You won't be scoring more than 16, so that historical D better be ready to limit Brady and company to 15, with no real pass rush. If they can do that, maybe they are historical. Don't bet the house though.

Chawks1

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":17knskbu said:
Chawks1":17knskbu said:
TBtoRG":17knskbu said:
HawkNuts":17knskbu said:

Stop making things up.

Unfortunately for you the Hawks D is banged up and not nearly the force they were a year ago. Like the Ravens of 2000 and the 85 Bears, this "historical" D will win their 1 trophy and find out how hard it is to be the best year after year. On top of that, the Pats D will dominate the weak Hawks offense, which is really the story of this game. You won't be scoring more than 16, so that historical D better be ready to limit Brady and company to 15, with no real pass rush. If they can do that, maybe they are historical. Don't bet the house though.

Hate to bring it up but our weak offense was ranked 9th.....your weaker Patriots offense was ranked 11th. Tell me how again your 13th ranked defense is going to shut us down but our #1 Defense won't shut down your 11th ranked offense???

bobdigital

Reaction score
[/quote]Hate to bring it up but our weak offense was ranked 9th.....your weaker Patriots offense was ranked 11th. Tell me how again your 13th ranked defense is going to shut us down but our #1 Defense won't shut down your 11th ranked offense???[/quote]

I am not a fan of yards. It is not the best measure IMO. I prefer PPG.

Pats are 4th on O @ 29.3 and 8th on D @ 19.6

Hawks are 10th on O @ 24.6 and 1st on D @ 15.9

It is clear to me both teams are capable of doing both well to very well.

I know Seattle has had injuries during the season but so have the Patriots so i think these are fair representations overall.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hgwellz12":1cacriec said:
Tom will have about 350yds and will still lose.

If he gets that 350 yards with about 45 attempts, they will lose and it might not be close. If Brady gets 300 yards and they get 150 rushing yards, that would probably be trouble for us.

I see a lot of the same passes that the Broncos tried against us. They attack the deep middle seams with Gronk. They will try to take Lafell deep from time to time, but Brady throws a TON of short to intermediate passes. He will try to get rid of the ball quickly to negate our pass rush. I can see him audibling to runs against our Nickle defense (which won't work).

The Pats use a lot of tricky formations and try to scheme their WRs open, and they do it because: A. it confuses average defenses, and B. they don't have any WRs that can line up and just beat guys one on one. I don't see Amendola doing that to us, and Edelman is great against 3rd and 4th DBs, but Lane will shut him down.

Our LBers will kill the intermediate stuff. Wagner is quick in th secondary. Thomas closes extremely fast and 2 years ago Brady didn't challenge Thomas deep and I don't see him doing it now either. I hope Brady tests Sherman, but I don't see that happening either really. He just doesn't have the arm strength to zip it in there before Sherm closes (Sherman doesn't have elite top end speed but he has elite closing speed); it's going to have to be all predetermined back shoulder stuff ("I'm doing to count to 3 and throw it to your back shoulder on the sidelines at 12 yards" type stuff).

Like others have said, our WRs will be outmatched as well, really. The biggest difference is that we're used to playing with our WRs not beating man coverage right away and winning 1 vs. 1 matchups, so Wilson buys time and his guys get open. That WILL happen as the Pats don't have the elite pass rushing DL to contain Wilson or get immediate pressure on him.

I honestly think it will come down to whoever can establish the run game first and move the chains. I see a low scoring 1st half and we'll wear them down in the 2nd half, as usual.

TBtoRG

Reaction score
Chawks1":1wze1vha said:
TBtoRG":1wze1vha said:
HawkNuts":1wze1vha said:

Stop making things up.

Your D scares no one, kiddo. No one is afraid of your overrated physicality. No one is afraid of your speed. Your secondary is awesome, but that's not the way to beat Brady and this offense. The way to beat it is with a strong Dline that can get interior pressure. You can't do that.

The match up just isn't in your favor. You had a successful season last year but this year your time is up.

Better luck next year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
TBtoRG":1vd3q9zj said:
Chawks1":1vd3q9zj said:
TBtoRG":1vd3q9zj said:
HawkNuts":1vd3q9zj said:

Stop making things up.

Your D scares no one, kiddo. No one is afraid of your overrated physicality. No one is afraid of your speed. Your secondary is awesome, but that's not the way to beat Brady and this offense. The way to beat it is with a strong Dline that can get interior pressure. You can't do that.

The match up just isn't in your favor. You had a successful season last year but this year your time is up.

Better luck next year.
If this guy keeps saying "kiddo" in threads, I'm going to punch a baby.

We've had the displeasure of reading posts about how this team and that team were different and wouldn't succumb to our overrated defense and struggling offense all year. In the end, they seldom return on the Monday after the game when their super stars had been completely shut down and their hopes and dreams of "winning it all" died a brutal death at the hands of our seahawks.

If our team finds a way to piss the game away I'll gladly congratulate you but at this point I just want to tell you to take a number and get in line with the rest of the recently departed trolls.

You literally sound like so many that have come and gone. All I can say is, "I'm sorry for your loss", pat you on the ass and wish you luck next year. It's not your year, "kiddo".

Chawks1

Reaction score
TBtoRG":yjlxbm2y said:
Chawks1":yjlxbm2y said:
TBtoRG":yjlxbm2y said:
HawkNuts":yjlxbm2y said:

Stop making things up.

Better luck next year.

That's what the Denver fans told us last year too. Worked pretty well for us then. Wait are you really a Bronco fan posing as A Pats fan That's what they sounded like last year too.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Obviously we haven't played a receiver that "scared" us in several seasons now. They can put up numbers because of who is throwing them the ball but the day Brady retires the fantasy values on that team will drop in half. That being said you can't be a receiver in the NFL unless you have a chance at making some explosive plays. Edelman's YAC is probably the most concerning if he gets into a hole in our second level.

Defensively I still think it will mostly come down to run defense.

Laloosh":2p40ljnp said:
If this guy keeps saying "kiddo" in threads, I'm going to punch a baby. You literally sound like so many that have come and gone. All I can say is, "I'm sorry for your loss", pat you on the ass and wish you luck next year. It's not your year, "kiddo".
It's just his attempt at bland one-size-fits-all trash talk. At some point a mod will explain to him what sort of post goes where.

chris98251

Reaction score

Better luck next year.

I told you and other have that we have a Smack Shack, your too ignorant, stupid and hell bent of Trolling to have a conversation outside the Shack concerning the game without insults and attacking the post versus posters and trash talking. You are done, gone, exterminated. I brought you into this world( our site) I can take you out and am doing just that.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Pats recievers have not been great in the playoffs. Kearse has 8 yards less than there best guy Edelman and Baldwin has 8 yards more than grok. Lafell has only be targeted 9 times the same with Amendola. So both teams WRs have very similar numbers. Lynch is leading the playoffs rushing while Blount was 7th not terrible but not Marshawn.

We seem to do well against big TEs so that doesn't worry me.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Belicheat will put Edelman on Sherman. He's the kind of small, fast WR that is toughest for sherm to defend.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
We are a matchup nightmare for them. LaFell will be completely taken out of this game by Maxwell and Thomas. Edelman will be limited to underneath stuff that won't keep the chains moving. Lane will shut down Amendola. Kam will steal Gronk's lunch money. We will give Blount the same treatment we gave Eddie Lacy . . . gang tackling him and wrapping up. Michael Bennett is going to be up in Brady's grill all game long.

If we play our game, the Pats will have a tough time moving the ball. Once again, it's up to our offense to set the tone early with the running game and to get Wilson in rhythm with play action passing, exploiting their LBs weaknesses in coverage.

Thomas144

Reaction score
Reading this thread last night I suddenly remembered that Seattle is the team that traded a first-round draft pick for Deion Branch, of all people. So I think the only thing you have to be afraid of is that your team will trade for one of the Patriots' receivers in the off-season. :)

The Patriots do not really have a deep-threat wide receiver on the roster, with the possible exception of the little-used Brian Tyms. When you don't have a very good offensive line and your quarterback doesn't get a lot of time to throw, you are looking to complete short passes anyway. Brady's talent is that he is very quick to make a decision and to get rid of the ball.

If however Belichick puts Tyms on the roster for the Superbowl I would take that as a clear tell that they plan to attempt to go deep at some point. I don't really expect that they will do this but it's something to look for before the game on Sunday.

Latest posts