DK Metcalf

acer1240

Reaction score
chris98251":283gdczp said:
Just remember with his speed and size they first thing DB's will do is punch him in the mouth and see if he can get off the line and handle the physical aspect.

If he can and gets by them nobody is going to be able to turn and catch him.

They will be playing off ten yards by the end of the season which will open up a lot of the other routes.

I'm hoping that he will remove any thoughts of press coverage early on.

chris98251

Reaction score
acer1240":105z6f2v said:
chris98251":105z6f2v said:
Just remember with his speed and size they first thing DB's will do is punch him in the mouth and see if he can get off the line and handle the physical aspect.

They will be playing off ten yards by the end of the season which will open up a lot of the other routes.

I'm hoping that he will remove any thoughts of press coverage early on.

Why Doug would have been good for him, Doug was going to the defense and doing the hand fighting drills with them, he said it helped a lot.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
1: We're a rushing team first and foremost, and DK Metcalf was one of the best in the draft at blocking downfield. His size and strength creates a mismatch for DBs.

2: We didn't bring him here to run out routes. Wilson is always looking for the deep strike, to the extent of being rather infamous for not seeing/using dump-off passes. He would rather extend the play and go for the home run ball. Metcalf is here for getting in the end zone, plain and simple.

3: There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a one-trick pony until someone can reliably stop that trick. Until then, DBs can choose between review-able pass interference, or long receptions. We have the best deep passer in the league, and as stated before, he's a willing deep passer.

4: We now have two legitimate deep threats and a strong rushing game. The opposing defense has two safeties. It takes true skill from the defensive coordinator to cover three things with two guys.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":3im0ft9v said:

Great point !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":1qxzehdh said:

It will be interesting to see what teams do, but FWIW I'd cushion him with inside leverage all day every day and force him to prove that's not the way to play him.

McGruff

Reaction score
There is hype every year for prospects, but in recent years I can only think of two rookies whose hype has rivaled what we have been hearing about Metcalf. Two guys who surprised coaches and teammates with what they were bringing to the table.

That was Wilson and Lockett.

I think the only thing holding Metcalf back will be an offense that doesn't supply volume and a QB that spreads the ball around a lot.

edogg23

Reaction score
pehawk":3283ii2x said:
HawkGA":3283ii2x said:
pehawk":3283ii2x said:
Even if he can only pull down 2 out of every 10 deep balls thrown to him, it'll be huge. He's gonna force safeties to account for him deep. Which will open up the middle for Lockett, Dissley, screens, and more.

His speed and size are the only things that matter right now.

This is how I viewed Randy Moss's rookie year. Just throw the ball deep to him a couple times, he's gonna catch at least one, probably more. If he can do that, it will be a successful rookie season.

I think a few other areas he can really help out could be blocking on bubble screens or other screens and reverses. I could even see him catching a bubble screen with his speed and size and being in space a bit? Could be interesting.

Let's hope so.

Also, anyone else get a TO vibe from him? The obsessive working out, a hint of emotional instability/immaturity, crying, things he hasn't admitted about himself yet, etc? I do...and it has me beyond stoked. If I'm right on the TO comp it's gonna be glorious for a good 5 years. Of course the other side of that is after year five he'll be doing teary-eyed pushups, in a Bellevue driveway, while Rosenhous speaks of hold out demands.

I've been comparing him to TO since draft day. To me the true test is going to be when he catches short slants or crossing patterns in the preseason if he can break the first tackle and use his speed to turn those short passes into big gains. TO was running people over in his first preseason.

xray

Reaction score
edogg23":25l5elq5 said:
pehawk":25l5elq5 said:
HawkGA":25l5elq5 said:
pehawk":25l5elq5 said:
Even if he can only pull down 2 out of every 10 deep balls thrown to him, it'll be huge. He's gonna force safeties to account for him deep. Which will open up the middle for Lockett, Dissley, screens, and more.

This is how I viewed Randy Moss's rookie year. Just throw the ball deep to him a couple times, he's gonna catch at least one, probably more. If he can do that, it will be a successful rookie season.

I think a few other areas he can really help out could be blocking on bubble screens or other screens and reverses. I could even see him catching a bubble screen with his speed and size and being in space a bit? Could be interesting.

Let's hope so.

Also, anyone else get a TO vibe from him? The obsessive working out, a hint of emotional instability/immaturity, crying, things he hasn't admitted about himself yet, etc? I do...and it has me beyond stoked. If I'm right on the TO comp it's gonna be glorious for a good 5 years. Of course the other side of that is after year five he'll be doing teary-eyed pushups, in a Bellevue driveway, while Rosenhous speaks of hold out demands.

I've been comparing him to TO since draft day. To me the true test is going to be when he catches short slants or crossing patterns in the preseason if he can break the first tackle and use his speed to turn those short passes into big gains. TO was running people over in his first preseason.

I wish I could compare more to Julio Jones than TO ;but I can't .

toffee

Reaction score
xray":1hbhafuu said:
edogg23":1hbhafuu said:
pehawk":1hbhafuu said:
HawkGA":1hbhafuu said:

Let's hope so.

I wish I could compare more to Julio Jones than TO ;but I can't .

In this homer's crystal ball, DK is the second coming of megatron.

quadsas

Reaction score
If DK ends up being half of what TO was, we're in luck. TO is one of most underrated WRs of all time (even though he's highly regarded, but that just shows how good he was), so yeah I wouldn't mind a poor man's TO.

I'd prefer he became the first DK, at very least we're in for some excitement come season time, even if he doesn't pan out, it will be fun to watch

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I know people hate TO, but he's a hall of a fame WR for a reason. He was an incredible player.

McGruff

Reaction score
We should be thrilled if Metcalf is Muhammed Sanu, much less TO or CJ or Julio.

I swear sometimes it seems like if a player isnt an all pro, it must mean that he sucks.

sutz

Reaction score
McGruff":3lnj14lz said:

I swear sometimes it seems like if a player isnt an all pro, it must mean that he sucks.
It's the internet effect. Only superlatives are allowed. None of that "he's a good football player" crap.

:twisted:

xray

Reaction score
pehawk":2o61vv5n said:

That and staying healthy...he has had issues with that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":u93a1xsg said:
There is hype every year for prospects, but in recent years I can only think of two rookies whose hype has rivaled what we have been hearing about Metcalf. Two guys who surprised coaches and teammates with what they were bringing to the table.

That was Wilson and Lockett.

I think the only thing holding Metcalf back will be an offense that doesn't supply volume and a QB that spreads the ball around a lot.

Well logical defensive scheming against the Hawks would be now that Doug's gone, double bracket the hell out of Tyler and force Russell and our other WR's to beat you.

So unless DK really struggles in camp and pre-season, I'd expect him to be a pretty big factor in our passing game this year, and Russell will give him every opportunity to make plays.

IMO Metcalf fits Russell's style very well. Russell loves to throw 50/50 seam and sideline balls and allow his receivers to go up and make plays. DK is built for that........as well as red zone one on one opportunities, with his size advantage.

quadsas

Reaction score
sutz":uw4nm77l said:
McGruff":uw4nm77l said:

It's the internet effect. Only superlatives are allowed. None of that "he's a good football player" crap.

frick us for being excited amirite

sutz

Reaction score
quadsas":13n9kxe2 said:
sutz":13n9kxe2 said:
McGruff":13n9kxe2 said:

Yeah, I think it goes way beyond excitement. I'm excited about Metcalf and what he can bring, too. I'm just not ready to proclaim him GOAT yet. 8)

toffee

Reaction score
sutz":36lae11p said:
quadsas":36lae11p said:
sutz":36lae11p said:
McGruff":36lae11p said:

Yeah, I think it goes way beyond excitement. I'm excited about Metcalf and what he can bring, too. I'm just not ready to proclaim him GOAT yet. 8)

haha I am ready to proclaim DK as Hawk's GOAT pre-training camp WR. We never had a WR with DK's combine prowess, and certainly he hasn't done anything up to this point to discredit himself. I am hoping that he keep it going thru TC and pre-season games. Then the real test starts, we must all remember our pre-season games hero of last season, Griffin and Green, both disappeared in regular season due to one reason or another.

I am predicting that DK will have a better rookie season then Griffin and Green. At this point, DK is the GOAT, because it's this time of the summer and we are bored.

McGruff

Reaction score
I remember when we had a very similar prospect to Metcalf.

6'2", 210 pounds, 4.27 40, 34 inch arms, 39 inch vertical, 22 reps in the bench.

He was a raw route runner too.

That dude was probably a closer comp to DK than Owen or Jones or Johnson.