Disconcerting to say the least

lukerguy

Reaction score
I agree most have better "perceivable" weapons, but I'm not sure that those top guys don't make those lines, RB, and WRs look better. Deion Branch is a great example of that.. Was a SB MVP for Brady and a slouch for us Seahawks. I don't actually think Randell Cobb and Jordy Nelson are all that great. I think they are above average WRs, but I think Rodgers makes them look like All pros. The QB always enhances or downgrades the weapons. I don't think Russell has worse weapons then Luck, Rodgers, Brees or Brady

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So based on what we have seen? Has the offense even looked good this preseason?

I am going to vehemently disagree with the "it's just preseason" mantra that people are desperately clinging to here.

For most of the winning run by the Seahawks (call it past 2 years), the Seahawks have been consistent in what they do in preseason. The offense gets out there for a few series, does well or dominates, and then we pull in the starters and then the team looks much more mortal.

This preseason, the team has looked terrible.

It was telling that not only were we blitzing in the preseason but we also kept Wilson out there that long. Of course he looked horrible no matter how long we kept him out there, but not sure he got a lot of help from that offensive line. Guys were in the backfield constantly.

The team has looked like crap. Even the defense, though I will say that line looks a little better now. The secondary is nowhere near the vise it was, and you can apparently run right up the gut against our d even as a middle of the road RB.

Now we have some time to fix things, but so far this team looks nothing like the team we had. And I get the whole preseason stuff, but when our starters were in - we still looked like a far below even pedestrian offense.

Nothing about the way we have seen this team plays inspires any confidence. We will see how the St. Louis game shakes out but so far, this is an unpleasant indicator.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":kqf7ev9a said:
So based on what we have seen? Has the offense even looked good this preseason?

I am going to vehemently disagree with the "it's just preseason" mantra that people are desperately clinging to here.

For most of the winning run by the Seahawks (call it past 2 years), the Seahawks have been consistent in what they do in preseason. The offense gets out there for a few series, does well or dominates, and then we pull in the starters and then the team looks much more mortal.

This preseason, the team has looked terrible.

It was telling that not only were we blitzing in the preseason but we also kept Wilson out there that long. Of course he looked horrible no matter how long we kept him out there, but not sure he got a lot of help from that offensive line. Guys were in the backfield constantly.

The team has looked like crap. Even the defense, though I will say that line looks a little better now. The secondary is nowhere near the vise it was, and you can apparently run right up the gut against our d even as a middle of the road RB.

Now we have some time to fix things, but so far this team looks nothing like the team we had. And I get the whole preseason stuff, but when our starters were in - we still looked like a far below even pedestrian offense.

Nothing about the way we have seen this team plays inspires any confidence. We will see how the St. Louis game shakes out but so far, this is an unpleasant indicator.

Don't most teams trot out their first team offense for the first possession after halftime in Preseason game #3?

Your points are valid though, we never struggled this badly the last two years in preseason, at least to my recollection.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
lukerguy":yq4pjzqq said:
I agree most have better "perceivable" weapons, but I'm not sure that those top guys don't make those lines, RB, and WRs look better. Deion Branch is a great example of that.. Was a SB MVP for Brady and a slouch for us Seahawks. I don't actually think Randell Cobb and Jordy Nelson are all that great. I think they are above average WRs, but I think Rodgers makes them look like All pros. The QB always enhances or downgrades the weapons. I don't think Russell has worse weapons then Luck, Rodgers, Brees or Brady

All those guys are asked to throw more than rushing, and they have a TOP 15 O-line for Passing. Also did you see the Bills get a new offensive coordinator and all their QBs are looking good in the preseason? Maybe we need a new playcaller, didn't Big Ben get a new offensive coordinator two years ago and is now putting up huge stats.

Our focus is on run first, explosive plays, and defense. I think that if Pete stays here that will never change until Marshawn retires then Wilson would be asked to pass more.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
12thbrah":355ahjff said:
Lynch appears to be our only hope of getting the offense on track eventually.
That's generally the case and always has been. His running mitigates inconsistent run blocking and also gives the QB more time in play action by sheer presence and threat alone.

This was the case last year when we tried to be all pass heavy as well. We didn't control the ball and thus we didn't control the game. We were a .500 team. We're below average in pass blocking and we have a very conservative QB. We just can't roll that way.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I think a lot of the negativity and concern around here stems from the fact that we're judging an entire team based on play without several of the players who make us who we are--players without whom we would not have been to back-to-back Super Bowls.

We have not yet seen Earl Thomas at all this preseason. Same with Kam Chancellor. This was the first game with Richard Sherman back, and I thought he looked sharp and ready for the season. That's three quarters of the best aspect of the best defense in the league right there. The list of starters not playing on defense for us looked like an appendix to the U.S. Tax Code.

On offense, Marshawn Lynch, the key individual our entire offense revolves around, played exactly one scripted series, with one reception and two runs. That's it. The face of our offense, the player we've designed our entire style of play around, has been involved in exactly three plays in the last 180 minutes of football. Forrest Gump took longer making love to Jenny the first time than that.

Our other stars on offense have gotten very little more playing time than that. Jimmy Graham has played a few series. Russell Wilson a few quarters. That "How Are They Gonna Stop Jimmy with Marshawn Running and Russ as a Threat to Run or Pass" offense has been on the field together as a unit for one short series over three games.

There is a bit of cause for concern. Russ has had some accuracy issues. A lil' pent-up testosterone in the tank will do that to a fella. He'll adjust quickly enough. Our offensive line reacts to pass rushers like a Wal-Mart rent-a-cop on Black Friday, but the good news is there's nowhere to go but up from there. Our defense gives up chunk after chunk of field position with short passes and runs, but put the three key cogs back in that machinery and opposing offenses are going to figure out really quick that doesn't work anymore.

We'll be just fine.

I hope.

Tical21

Reaction score
For the most part, our guys just don't care. I'm kind of fine with that. We will probably sleepwalk until we get our backs against the wall. You hate it as a coach, but there's only so much you can do.

Even when we're winning, we usually don't look incredibly pretty doing it, so I was never expecting smooth sailing.

Marshawn, still, in my opinion, is by far the most valuable player on this team. Almost every time we look really bad, we blame Bevell for not getting Marshawn enough carries.

I didn't even watch the line much. Bailey had a couple really bad plays. I'm hoping to have time to slow them down and watch again.

I'm just fine with what the defense did. We want teams to try to put together 15 play drives to score field goals on us. They can't play that game forever. Well, except for Brady and maybe Rivers. We did try to shake things up. We brought more pressure. i'm assuming Richard will dial it up and see if it works. We ran some man on some 3rd down. Unfortunately, most of the time it didn't go well. I don't think Blackmon is an answer in the slot. Unfortunately, Lane looks really like the only guy on the roster that can do it. Could we see Sherman move inside a little more often this year?

The throw to Graham up the seam was dangerous. He keeps floating it like that, it's going to get picked and/or get Graham killed. That throw has to lead Graham to the post. He might have thrown it a little early. The crossing route he threw behind Graham was all sorts of messed up. I don't know where Graham was looking, why Wilson threw it where he did, or why he made such a bad pass.

The fade in the end zone was awful. Graham is 6'7". You have to give him a chance.

I like Kasen Williams.

I would rather see Kevin Smith make the team than BJ Daniels. I think he's a more explosive player, more polished receiver, and better returner. He probably can't play QB though.

Lockett might be the difference in a game or two this year.

Are we sure Chris Matthews makes this roster? Rumor was that he couldn't work out all offseason due to a lingering hammy or something, now he can't get back on the field again. Supposedly doesn't bring it every practice. Is he a Seahawk?

At least we didn't throw to McCoy or Willson so we can't complain about them.

In the end, I don't think it matters. Our starters will be ready for the Rams. We'll give it to Marshawn 20 times and we'll be all right.

Smoke

Reaction score
Russ was over throwing people left and right last preseason, and our defense, although they gave up a some yardage only gave up field goals till that 70 yard touchdown our 3rd stringers gave up.

Alot of you guys are revising how well we played in the preseason last year...We played horrible..

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":unsxdg51 said:
It was coming together with Okung in there.. Bailey could have been swapped out with a Dick's Hamburger and no one would have been able to notice the difference.

True'r words have never been spake. Or something.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3im2n96a said:
Anthony!":3im2n96a said:
Hawkpower":3im2n96a said:
Anthony!":3im2n96a said:
What I noticed is the offense struggled until the 25 scripted plays were over, yes Bevel even scripts his first 25 play calling the preseason. Once they were done we started doing much better, and once we went in a hurry and Wilson was pretty much deciding what was happening we did real well. All that said I have to think they are holding back because if they are not the route trees and routes being run are like high school level. I do agree the oline is an issue as is WR getting open. Hopefully that will change when it really counts.

Our offense did real well?

When? I must have dozed through that part of the game.....

BTW, the WR's can get open all day long, but if the pass coming their way is 6 feet over their 6 foot 7 frame, its going to be tough to catch.

I said started doing well, and as to the rest a wasted post, and I am sure 1 bad pass tell the whole story.

Just to clarify, the bolded above.....

The horrific throw in Jimmy's direction was not his only bad pass.

You are correct that the oline and WR play has been sporadic. But Wilson sure isnt helping them out there either.

He has been off.

Not saying I agree or disagree, with it being pre season I put little stock in it. He has also made some pretty good throws and throws some in here said he could not make. Like I said it is pre season.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Something people aren't mentioning is our defense and backup defense is keeping the score low. Our team have not been blown out by any other team's depth. We are maybe a point here two point there from winning. What I see from other preseason games is that some team even with their depths are getting blown out.

This is what I saw in every preseason game with our defense backups:

Opposing 2nd stringer Offense scores TD on opening drive in 2nd half

Comes back and play almost lights out into the 4th quarter.

so in 3rd and 4th quarter for the last 3 games
3 teams have scored 2 TD, 1 extra point, and 2 field goals. 19 total points in 6 quarters, that's our backup in a vanilla scheme defense.

Anthony!

Reaction score
lukerguy":2cdqks5u said:

Oh you mean those same GB wr that made Matt Flynn look like the 2nd coming? Sorry yes Russell has worse weapons.

Anthony!

Reaction score
vin.couve12":36dua0zl said:
12thbrah":36dua0zl said:
Lynch appears to be our only hope of getting the offense on track eventually.
That's generally the case and always has been. His running mitigates inconsistent run blocking and also gives the QB more time in play action by sheer presence and threat alone.

This was the case last year when we tried to be all pass heavy as well. We didn't control the ball and thus we didn't control the game. We were a .500 team. We're below average in pass blocking and we have a very conservative QB. We just can't roll that way.

I agree with most it is not the QB who is conservative it is the way the HC wants him to be. If they would let him throw more and when we have seen him allowed to he does very well.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3em6hdp7 said:
I think a lot of the negativity and concern around here stems from the fact that we're judging an entire team based on play without several of the players who make us who we are--players without whom we would not have been to back-to-back Super Bowls.

We have not yet seen Earl Thomas at all this preseason. Same with Kam Chancellor. This was the first game with Richard Sherman back, and I thought he looked sharp and ready for the season. That's three quarters of the best aspect of the best defense in the league right there. The list of starters not playing on defense for us looked like an appendix to the U.S. Tax Code.

On offense, Marshawn Lynch, the key individual our entire offense revolves around, played exactly one scripted series, with one reception and two runs. That's it. The face of our offense, the player we've designed our entire style of play around, has been involved in exactly three plays in the last 180 minutes of football. Forrest Gump took longer making love to Jenny the first time than that.

Our other stars on offense have gotten very little more playing time than that. Jimmy Graham has played a few series. Russell Wilson a few quarters. That "How Are They Gonna Stop Jimmy with Marshawn Running and Russ as a Threat to Run or Pass" offense has been on the field together as a unit for one short series over three games.

There is a bit of cause for concern. Russ has had some accuracy issues. A lil' pent-up testosterone in the tank will do that to a fella. He'll adjust quickly enough. Our offensive line reacts to pass rushers like a Wal-Mart rent-a-cop on Black Friday, but the good news is there's nowhere to go but up from there. Our defense gives up chunk after chunk of field position with short passes and runs, but put the three key cogs back in that machinery and opposing offenses are going to figure out really quick that doesn't work anymore.

We'll be just fine.

I hope.

Agreed on most. I think the problem is some seem to think that with or without Lynch we should be great. The problem is this team is built around Lynch more than Wilson. Now Obviously that will be changing and in a way is starting to, but we are not there yet. The whole offensive game plan would need to change and they are not ready to do that. Imagine if you will instead of the 24th ranked pass blocking oline we had say the 15th, Imagine if you will we had a true #1 wr or a system like NEs designed to take advantage of their best receiving threat their TE. The problem is we do not, we have a low passing, risk adverse offensive system, centered around an RB and very very mobile QB. I suspect you will see some major differences when the season starts, like more 2 TE sets were both go out on passes. They have showed a little but I suspect more will come. Of course until we get through the 25 scripted plays it will always be a dice shoot. If you look at all our slow starts, the offense almost always started moving the ball once we got past the scripted plays. Even tonight we started moving the ball better once we got past those scripted plays.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawks46":30aiiuju said:
I didn't watch much of the backups, but:

I'll start by saying I'm glad we didn't move to the AFC West, because the Chargers seem to be our daddy lately, especially down there.

Our offense looks disjointed and terrible. Wilson was off badly tonight. When you overthrow a dude that is 6'7" and can jump, not once but twice, you're off. Also took a dumb penalty when he should've just got rid of the ball. Those are the plays that we have to live with as most times Wilson makes something happen.

Looks like Richard didn't emphasize tackling this offseason. Our starters look rusty and could rarely bring down Gordon on the first attempt.

Rivers just shredded us in the middle. Our LBers didn't look ready to cover an NFL TE tonight.

It's preseason, and I'm already tired of watching dumb penalties. Honestly, it doesn't look like our coaching staff has our guys prepared to play at real speed.

I'm disappointed with the secondary. At this rate, we won't be the top rated defense. Allen owned Williams, using the same move and the same set up. Stevie Johnson literally wore out Blackmon.

Pass rush looks good, as well as the Nickle blitz. Run defense was surprisingly good, when Woodhead wasn't breaking tackles, all 180 lbs of him.

If I need something positive to look forward to watching this season, it's Tyler Lockett. This kid is going to be something special, and not just as a returner.

Run blocking looked good when Lynch was in there. Our OL just isn't physical and got collectively blown up on a 3rd and 1.

If we keep playing like this, I'm guessing we win 10 games. You think our offense is bad now, wait till we play divisional foes. Even SF has a much more talented defense than SD.
It's preseason, but if you want affirmation then yes, we are all doomed. [emoji8]

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":q0ete1f5 said:
mikeak":q0ete1f5 said:
Preseason means simplified defense in the secondary. So a QB like Rivers moving the ball is expected. Holding them to as few points as was done is a great sign IMHO

Offense. - I do hope we just don't want to show some great plays, because it was very much nothing special in Playcalling creativity.

However the O-line is coming together. Very excited about that

It was coming together with Okung in there.. Bailey could have been swapped out with a Dick's Hamburger and no one would have been able to notice the difference.

Zero concern about our defense and Russ was just off today. But that offensive line is downright awful right now.
Bailey had some ups and downs. It wasn't all bad.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3aoljan2 said:
Everytime this team gets a new offensive line change.........things don't look good until the 2nd half of the game. Looks like it's going to be much of the same just like the last few years.

Also this is preseason and our plays are so vanilla, once we get the first regular season game with the Big 3 playing together in all 4 Quarters can be get a better judgement of what will be.
... and even then I wouldn't be quick to judge, because they haven't seen various blitzing schemes as a group. A great start to the season for them isn't likely.

Steve2222

Reaction score
One thing people are tending to forget is that so far we've only seen the Seahawks offense with Wilson-Lynch-Graham for a grand total of three plays. So if you need anything to hold yourself off the cliff until the season starts, always remember we still have that to hold on to. The offense has looked bad, but Im not worried about it at all. Wilsons proved time and time again that he can go from having the worst game ever, to making all the throws and plays when the game is on the line. Don't bring up the SB INT. That was more of a great defensive call by Belichek and a great play by Butler, than was it a bad throw from Wilson.

Our defense looks like its going to be the best D Unit we've had. I don't get the disappointment from last night. I thought they looked good, even with 3 key starters missing.

Our Special Teams could possibly be the best its even been as well.

Things could be worse. We could be Green Bay who is currently down its 1 and 2 WRs.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Play calling seems awful and disjointed. Maybe the staff is just trying to get a look at different things? Surely it can't be this bad once the real season begins?

Latest posts