Derrick Coleman Arrested - Vehicular Assault

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Aros":3f0nc8fk said:
This is the last person I expected this from.

I think this is a good reminder that we really have no idea what kind of people players really are in their own private lives.

kidhawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":30l7ul6w said:
Aros":30l7ul6w said:
This is the last person I expected this from.

I think this is a good reminder that we really have no idea what kind of people players really are in their own private lives.

And probably a good time for the reminder that we don't know that Coleman purposely did anything wrong. This could all be explained given time. Maybe not, but we still don't know enough facts to be certain either way

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3pm90bee said:
I bet Bevell was really behind the wheel.

Can we fire him for that?

On a serious note, read these in another Hawks site....just some food for thought, I will remove their handles for anonymity....

1.) Deaf Hawks fan here. This story is all over the place -- the picture KIRO 7 tweeted isn't even related to his case, apparently. But whatever happened, I think I can relate to his situation.
I've been involved in some accidents in my time. Nothing serious, just fender benders. But as a deaf guy you should see some of these reactions once they figure out I'm deaf. A couple of times I get rear-ended and they come out all frantic and apologetic, but then we talk and they realize who I am. Then the police arrive and they start lying out of their asses. "His fault, didn't hear me" blah blah. Knowing full well I can't verbally defend myself and that my deafness makes me look automatically less aware than them. Nevermind the fact that my peeps are generally excellent drivers and that I was completely aware and not at fault.
Now in a highly stressful situation like this where there's a lot on the line and there's someone injured, yeah, it really sucks shit and he was beyond stupid for leaving the scene (allegedly) but I can sympathize. He probably felt like it was going to turn out horribly for him no matter what he did, even if I personally would've felt safer as a NFL player with an army of lawyers than as a solo deaf guy without all that support. Oh well. Terrible position to be in for anyone. Hoping for the best for him and the victim as well.

2.)I have a deaf son and a deaf sister, I totally vouch for this. I worry all the time about them getting in trouble just because somebody thinks theyre being ignored and disrespected, when it's really that theyre just not being heard.

3.)It's nice to get a deaf person's perspective on getting into car accidents. I never thought of that before but I'm sure people plenty of times try to shift blame once they find out the other driver was deaf. Who knows if that's the case here, but this was an interesting comment and I appreciate it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Thoughts on This:

1) Nice to get perspective from a deaf poster. I honestly didn't even know that deaf folks were allowed to hold driver's licenses. Shows what I know. Off-topic: I know he's legally deaf, but that can mean a range of things. Does anyone have any idea about how much/what/if any he can hear?

2) Seems like there are a ton of conflicting stories swirling around. That the Seahawks suspended him so quickly would make me believe that there's more malfeasance to this than him simply falling asleep at the wheel or bwing disoriented and wandering off after the accident, but even that's based on an assumption.

3) I didn't realize that before this there had only been one other arrest in the NFL since the start of this league year. And it was for not paying a traffic ticket. A good reminder that it only seems like NFL players are "always getting arrested" because we never hear about it went they don't get arrested.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Suspending him makes sense for the Hawks because he would not be playing this weekend with this incident hanging over his head, and so this allows the Hawks to open up a roster spot (sign a D-lineman probably) to provide some depth for this weekends game without taking the chance of losing Coleman on waivers if they cut him.

I think this will be cleared up in a month or so, and then we'll see the team lift the suspension and add him back onto the roster.

Cartire

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":qf9ho91g said:
Does the Bellview police always have press conferences for major traffic accidents?

When they involve a local celebrity, yes. Its the best way to get out all the correct (or at least, assumed to be correct) information since so much media is constantly hounding them for answers.

Large portions of the media dont probe the departments for just your average joe-shmoe. Instead of saying the same stuff, Over and over and over to each reporter, they just do a news conference.

drdiags

Reaction score
Popeyejones":uht0b9zs said:
Thoughts on This:

1) Nice to get perspective from a deaf poster. I honestly didn't even know that deaf folks were allowed to hold driver's licenses. Shows what I know. Off-topic: I know he's legally deaf, but that can mean a range of things. Does anyone have any idea about how much/what/if any he can hear?

I know he needs an hearing-aid to enhance his hearing and he reads lips to help him understand what is being said to him. Not sure he has 100% loss or not but it is substantial.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3gcjxf7u said:
Thoughts on This:

He wears a hearing aid, so there must be some degree of auditory capacity there.

**Didn't see drdiags' response before mine posted, so yes, what was said above.

aawolf

Reaction score
I just thought of this: If he is deaf, he would not have a cell phone, so he may have been going to get help. Just speculation, of course, but it would seem logical for him to walk away from the scene if he couldn't call anyone for help.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
aawolf":3w31nmk2 said:
I just thought of this: If he is deaf, he would not have a cell phone, so he may have been going to get help. Just speculation, of course, but it would seem logical for him to walk away from the scene if he couldn't call anyone for help.

You think deaf people can't text?

Phones have many uses and functions.

ringless

Reaction score
I feel like the kid deserves the benefit of the doubt. He doesn't have a history of red flags. It's not like he's had 5 previous arrests and the team is letting due diligence play out. I commend them for acting swiftly. Looking at the photo of the accident he clearly could have left the scene out of confusion.

Nothing has been stated to say he left the scene and tried to avoid the consequences. He simply could have walked a short distance as a safety precaution. He could have been looking to get help if his phone was damaged. There's just not a lot of information and a lot of possibilities.

I think there is a big difference in an incident like this as compared to another NFC west foe.

I feel bad because at this time I don't feel he deserved to be suspended either and I know that's w contradiction because I don't believe at this time he did anything with malice. He's not a repeat offender. He apparently wasn't intoxicated. It quite simply could've just been your typical accident and he arrested for ticky tack reasons

kidhawk

Reaction score
The question of who to replace him has been answered, they quickly brought Daniels back to the 53 man roster to replace Coleman

Exittium

Reaction score
HawkFan72":28zet4sg said:
aawolf":28zet4sg said:

You think deaf people can't text?

Phones have many uses and functions.

Whats the texting going to achieve?

https://www.fcc.gov/text-to-911 Only Kitsap county offers Text -to-911 and who's saying teammates or friends would have been awake or even heard the text? .. Kind seems like an assnine or smartassed comment imo.

And I thought the same thing aawolf. its not like they found him at his house denying any involvement..

pmedic920

Reaction score
Unless his phone was in his pocket, it was very likely lost, at least temporarily, when his truck rolled over.
Its amazing what happens to the contents of a vehicle under these circumstances.

Edit: still just speculation but may be a reason to walk away, and look for help

dbmack

Reaction score
It boggles my mind that in this day and age people think deaf people can't drive or use cell phones. Especially those of us who do benefit from wearing hearing aids which Derrick Coleman does. Some of us who are classified as deaf can actually hear some things. I can't speak for totally deaf people who can't be helped with hearing aids but I'm sure they can do a lot more than people think they can.

pmedic920

Reaction score
BTW, I've seen absolutely nothing that indicates he attempted to allude authorities. Only that he left the scene. IMHO that's an important difference.

Omahawk

Reaction score
I hope everything gets sorted out in the best possible way for everyone involved in this terrible accident.

edit: by Pmedic920
Please stay on topic.