Derrick Henry to the 'Hawks (speculation/Jerhawk's head)

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Only if we get him cheap on a MUCH smaller but similarly structured deal to G$mith's

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Henry IS that one of a kind level player that can make a huge difference for any team. That type of player costs a lot these days. He does a lot more than just run the ball. He helps control the clock. He wears down defenses and keeps his defense fresh. He inspires his teammates. He make those around him better players. Did I mention costs a lot?
If there is a rook in the draft with those qualities I don't know his name. Whether or not Henry could put us over the top in quest of a SB isn't really the question. The question is whether or not we can afford the disadvantages built in regardless his current ability level. I don't think we can, but man oh man I would love to see him exploding in our neon green. I would love to see our opponents looking for ways to not have to try to tackle him.
SF and LAR would find a way to make it happen and deal with the consequences later. We are having our turn at that and doing it quite well so far. Sign Bobby AND Henry and out stock shoots up like a rocket. Ain't gonna happen! And I'm going to be happy to earn our way to the top with the young guys.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Same thing with Lockett - a restructure could save money now but he'll be 31 this season and hasn't exactly been durable.

The only season in Lockett's entire career in which he played in fewer than 16 games was his second season, 2016, when he played in 15.

If you want to go just by recent history, Lockett has had over a thousand receiving yards for four seasons in a row, and the season before that, it was 965.

Lockett was in for 79% or more of the Seahawks' offensive snaps in 2018-2022 (the last five seasons).

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I think those that would want Henry at age 29 with his probable cap number over drafting Bijan Robinson at number 5 basically are messed up in the brain pan.
Replace "messed up" with another phrase for emphasis.

Yikes.

Drafting a running back with pick five is NOT the only alternative to giving up a second-round pick and a day-three pick for the right to dedicate $11M of cap space to a long-in-the-tooth running back with high mileage.

Drafting a running back with a top-five draft pick is a terrible use of resources. It's not just misuse of draft capital that could be spent on a player at a higher-value position. It also locks the team into four years of fully guaranteed salaries for a running back for a total of just over $34M over those four seasons, with 2023-2026 cap hits of $6.2M, $7.7M, $9.3M and $10.8M. Double yikes.

I sincerely hope the Seahawks do neither of these two things.

EDITED to add: It's actually even worse than I stated. It locks the team into four years of fully guaranteed money, but it's not all salary, so trading the player away doesn't do away with the cap hits. $22M or so is signing bonus. Triple yikes.

Last edited:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
The only season in Lockett's entire career in which he played in fewer than 16 games was his second season, 2016, when he played in 15.

If you want to go just by recent history, Lockett has had over a thousand receiving yards for four seasons in a row, and the season before that, it was 965.

Lockett was in for 79% or more of the Seahawks' offensive snaps in 2018-2022 (the last five seasons).

Yes but he's also 'banged up' often and obviously avoids contact more and more. With his smaller frame and his age he's not exactly someone I'm hoping we restructure with an extension and kick the can down the road.