Derrick Henry to the 'Hawks (speculation/Jerhawk's head)

Mizak

Reaction score
Derrick Henry and trick plays:

and you know Pete Carroll loves his trick plays.

toffee

Reaction score
We invested in a 1st rounder (Penny), and a 2nd rounder (K9) on RBs, so yes, Pete and John value RBs more so than other teams. Is Henry at 30yo worth a 2nd? Probably yes. Would we do it? Probably not. If we trade for Henry, how to balance between Henry and K9?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
No thanks.

If traded, he would be a one-year rental for $11M to his new team.

The likelihood that he would be a positive ROI is pretty slim imo.

Sportrac says his 2023 cap hit is 16M.

No thanks. Draft another young stud in the 3rd or 4th, and sign a cheap vet backup.

If the Titans succeed in trading Henry, they eat the signing-bonus part of that. The cap hit for the acquiring team would indeed be the $11M that @onanygivensunday asserted it would be.

All three of us agree that we don't want the Seahawks to spend that much on a running back. A cap hit of $11M is less ridiculous than the $16M the Titans have on their cap for Henry this season if they can't trade him, but it's still too big, given the risks and the Seahawks' other needs.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'd rather the Hawks trade for Austin Ekeler. He's a very versatile RB... especially effective on 3rd downs.

He has one year left on his contract at $6.25M. Send one of our 5th round picks to LAC and then extend him for a couple more years.

Ekeler would be a great insurance policy for K9... and a great alternative when K9 needs a breather.

Mizak

Reaction score
Derrick Henry on RB screens:

something the Seahawks offense definitely needs.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
the RB isn't the reason the Seahawks dont do a lot of screens.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
But what running back realistically compares to Henry, who has posted 1500+ rushing yards in 3 of his last 4 seasons?
Not too freaking many.

I'd take him. Saw him play this year a bit - nothing wrong with that dude.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I don't think it's worth the 9-12 carries a game max, though he is a talent with something left, a very punishing runner, we can get at least most of those attributes in a 2nd round rookie, potentially.

Then again, Hawks like to shore up holes so they can draft whatever they want on draft day so we'll see what happens there, I'm thinking a cheaper option.

Edit, and I think DJ Dallas is going to have a very nice year.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
<iframe width="1211" height="681" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HBrTsnwQamE" title="Derrick Henry VICIOUS Stiff Arm on Josh Norman | NFL Week 5" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When you stiff-arm a guy into next week. Pretty sure he isn't going to play for us - but DAAAAAYYYYUUUMMM!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
#1 in the following his top 10 career plays gave me Beastquake vibes...

Eric Dickerson was was the #1 RB in the league, he was traded to the Colts when he was 28 years old. He put up 1600+ and 1300+ yard seasons respectively after his trade. Henry is that type of talent. He is coming off a season where he put up 1500 yards. A season after he had a foot injury. This is a no brainer.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Eric Dickerson was was the #1 RB in the league, he was traded to the Colts when he was 28 years old. He put up 1600+ and 1300+ yard seasons respectively after his trade. Henry is that type of talent. He is coming off a season where he put up 1500 yards. A season after he had a foot injury. This is a no brainer.

It really is this simple. Transcendent talent shouldn't be passed over because of cap considerations, especially ones that are fairly mild compared to what other teams around the NFL deal with yearly. Plain and simple no brainer.

Hawknballs

Reaction score

Dickerson fell off a cliff after year 7, even before his 29th birthday, and never came close to 1000 yards again. Not sure that's a great example.

Chawker

Reaction score
I was thinking of a trade with the Titans moving up to # 5 pick and getting a second or third round pick.

Henry's cost is to much for us, if we could get him down to 8.5 million a year, it might be feesible. But, WOW what a thought !

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I was thinking of a trade with the Titans moving up to # 5 pick and getting a second or third round pick.

Henry's cost is to much for us, if we could get him down to 8.5 million a year, it might be feesible. But, WOW what a thought !
lol now we are giving up first round position for a 29 year old RB?

sigh.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It really is this simple. Transcendent talent shouldn't be passed over because of cap considerations, especially ones that are fairly mild compared to what other teams around the NFL deal with yearly. Plain and simple no brainer.
So, they can just sign any player they want w/no consideration of the cap? Yeah, it kind of doesn't really work that way.
I wish it did, but cap flat out IS a consideration. Especially when you have many holes to fill on the team AND you don't really have any cap space.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So, they can just sign any player they want w/no consideration of the cap? Yeah, it kind of doesn't really work that way.
I wish it did, but cap flat out IS a consideration. Especially when you have many holes to fill on the team AND you don't really have any cap space.
Not what I said, bud. I've gone into sufficient detail above.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I think those that would want Henry at age 29 with his probable cap number over drafting Bijan Robinson at number 5 basically are messed up in the brain pan.
Replace "messed up" with another phrase for emphasis.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think those that would want Henry at age 29 with his probable cap number over drafting Bijan Robinson at number 5 basically are messed up in the brain pan.
Replace "messed up" with another phrase for emphasis.
Ok. Wanting to trade for a player who has proven he's the best rb in the NFL (over a number of years) over someone has yet to even play a down in the NFL is "messed up". Bijan Robinson has proved diddly squat in the NFL.

(the speculation is Titans are asking for 2nd rounder and 3rd day pick)