Deflate Gate upside

bmorepunk

Reaction score
There are plenty of New England fans with a persecution complex, just like every fan base in the NFL. It's comical, just like the Seahawks fans that have one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bmorepunk":14y7rnea said:
There are plenty of New England fans with a persecution complex, just like every fan base in the NFL. It's comical, just like the Seahawks fans that have one.

I think they USED to have a persecution complex, back before the Sox and Pats started winning championships.

Now they're just like Yankee fans, annoying as hell.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Hello. Long time lurker here. Boyfriend introduced me to this place a while back and I've found a lot of awesome information and topics here, thanks for sharing all your knowledge and opinions. Finally feeling brave enough to post. :)

Anyway.. I'm sort of perturbed by how many players (Patriots and others) are downplaying the seriousness of this issue. We will never know if this won the game for New England against Indy (not likely) but cheating is cheating. Clearly somebody compromised the integrity of this game and that's a serious issue. However, I agree, the silver lining to this is that we will definitely NOT see this happening in the SB.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2irnxqkt said:
Can you imagine if Brady has a horrible day. From now on until forever he'll be known as the guy who cheated to get his wins. People will point to his performance and say that's how he would have played had he played fair.

Talk of Manning being the greatest is over thanks to his ninth one and out. Talk of Brady being the greatest will be shot down by this.

Now, considering he's up against the LOB and using a ball he's not used to, what do you think the odds are he'll have a subpar game? Two media narratives will immediately spring up. How much did the ball affect his play and the response that the LOB deserves all the credit. Once the latter starts gaining traction, which it quickly will, the LOB will be acknowledged as the greatest defense of all time.

Talk of the great Brady-Manning era will quickly fade because of the scandal of Brady and the Manning chokefests, neither of which scabs the sportscasters will want to pick. Writers and sportscasters will need to fill the vacuum. Rodgers-Wilson is the obvious choice. The guy who puts up all the stats and the guy who just wins.

It's all good.

He tried regulation inflated balls the first few games and he looked like a 50 year old qb.

Just saying...

Chawks1

Reaction score
bradynumber4":vgvt1rso said:
You're all naive if you think NE is the only team to do this.

Even if this was true (cough cough) you only punish the guys that get caught. Kinda like speeding, everyone does it but the cops only write tickets to the ones they catch, right?

Unfortunately your franchise doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.....

Chawks1

Reaction score
Bobblehead":pdqto8se said:
SalishHawkFan":pdqto8se said:
Can you imagine if Brady has a horrible day. From now on until forever he'll be known as the guy who cheated to get his wins. People will point to his performance and say that's how he would have played had he played fair.

Talk of Manning being the greatest is over thanks to his ninth one and out. Talk of Brady being the greatest will be shot down by this.

Now, considering he's up against the LOB and using a ball he's not used to, what do you think the odds are he'll have a subpar game? Two media narratives will immediately spring up. How much did the ball affect his play and the response that the LOB deserves all the credit. Once the latter starts gaining traction, which it quickly will, the LOB will be acknowledged as the greatest defense of all time.

Talk of the great Brady-Manning era will quickly fade because of the scandal of Brady and the Manning chokefests, neither of which scabs the sportscasters will want to pick. Writers and sportscasters will need to fill the vacuum. Rodgers-Wilson is the obvious choice. The guy who puts up all the stats and the guy who just wins.

It's all good.

He tried regulation inflated balls the first few games and he looked like a 50 year old qb.

Just saying...

Brady is the same age that Manning was last year when we played him. And just as mobile and weak armed. Brady is Peyton 2.0....this will be fun to watch again.

Redsand187

Reaction score
They should just even it out by over inflating the balls 2psi. If 2psi softer made a difference enough to risk getting caught, being 4psi harder will probably make a big difference.

OP
OP
Jacknut16

Jacknut16

Reaction score
bradynumber4":1m0218d4 said:
You're all naive if you think NE is the only team to do this.

All the Colt balls where properly inflated.

Now what??

Erebus

Reaction score
I think there are three significant upsides to this. The first was already discussed in the OP. The second is that this is a major distraction taking away from valuable practice time by answering questions to investigators/media and having the team meeting. They won't get much practice time next week in Arizona.

The third advantage is that there is now no way the refs will turn a blind eye to our opponents penalties like they've done to us all year.

seabowl

Reaction score
Jacknut16":352g8aco said:
One upside of this entire debacle with the cheating Patriots is this: Obviously the balls will be correctly inflated for the big game, which believe it or not is probably going to be somewhat of a disadvantage to Brady and the Pats.

Imagine playing with a under inflated ball, (go ahead and grab a 10lb inflated nfl and ball vs a 12 lb inflated ball, its a huge difference). If he has been doing this most of this season or over the past few years its going to effect his throwing in accuracy and speed, he wont be used it, and in those tough throws he is going to be thinking about the ball he is throwing not being the "feel" that he is used to or likes.

I have played various football games at the QB position in competitive leagues for the last 20+ years now, and I just like playing with an under inflated ball due to the grip being better, accuracy being better, control, WRs being able to catch it better, ect, ect, you get the picture. So does every other QB in the leagues I have been in.
I know that someone changing the PSI of the ball would be in my head a bit, and especially if I was getting the advantage of throwing an under inflated ball and nobody else was getting the advantage.

Either way Im glad he will not have this advantage and that we did not find out about it AFTER the superbowl.

Yeah it really affected the Pats the second half of the AFCCG after the correct balls were used in the game. They only out scored the Colts 28-0 and Brady threw 2 td's. I do not see what you are saying in regards to the balls physical status in the bowl as adversely affecting the Pats one bit.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":2cpph19z said:
The excuses from Pats fans & defenders are comical.

"Officer! Everyone else was speeding, too! You didn't pull them over!"

"Son, that might be, but I caught you."
I love this . It's frickin crazy it's like well it's technically cheating but it's ok because others have done it!?!
It's one or the other yes it is or no it's not that simple and no spin doctoring can change that.

Latest posts