Darrell Bevell linked to BYU coaching job

Jville

Reaction score
GettyImages 5002386380
Image source >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/12/9/9880986/seahawks-russell-wilson-darrell-bevell-tyler-lockett-doug-baldwin[/urltargetblank]

“Well I want to be a head coach,” said the 45-year-old Bevell. “That’s definitely true. But right now there is no good time for us right now. We are doing things that we want to do. Doing things that have really been unprecedented with obviously going to two Super Bowls and we are going to make a push to continue to do that and I want to be apart of it and I want to be here and I am focused on what we are doing and the Baltimore Ravens is the next game on tap.” - Seattle Times

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-offensive-coordinator-darrell-bevell-confirms-hes-not-pursuing-byu-job/[/urltargetblank]

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
You laughed at me 4 weeks ago. Now it becomes even more apparent to me that he is being groomed to be Pete's successor whenever he feels it's time to call it a career. And that would be a good choice.

sc85sis

Reaction score
DavidSeven":31ixfg8r said:
In spite of Pete's new age-y ways, he actual places a big emphasis on prior NFL experience. He's said in the past that this was the primary thing that dictates whether college coaches can make a successful jump to the pros. That being the case, I don't see him hiring a college OC without first making them cut their teeth as a NFL position coach. Sark is a hot-mess right now, and he also doesn't have the experience. IMO, you absolutely cannot hand him an NFL OC job at this point. In this regard, Kiffin is actually a more realistic candidate (if Bevell did leave for BYU or a NFL HC job) because of his time in Oakland, his prior dealings with Cable, and the fact that his life seems to be in reasonable order. More likely though, it would be an internal promotion or else someone out there who has previously worked in the NFL.
Sark spent a year as QB coach for the Raiders in 2004. that's not a ton of experience, but he technically does have some.

Fade

Reaction score
This is how bad Bevell is. The offense has put up good numbers through the years. He has been the OC for pretty much the best start to a career a QB can have. He has interviewed for HC jobs, and nobody hired him. He will be lucky if he even gets an interview this postseason. (The top football people in the business are telling you he sucks, and is not the reason RW, or the offense has success. Outside of the desperate Cleveland Browns w/the Manziel can be coached up to be like Russell Wilson, let's hire his OC angle. (and they might not even want Bevell. .)

Bevell has about as much to do with the success of the Offense, as Gus Bradley had to do with the success of the Defense when he was here. They did pretty good, but underachieved and could of been better.

If NFL EXECS thought Bevell was the reason Russell Wilson was so good, so early in his career, he would already be a HC.

Nope. They see it the other way he is riding coattails hard.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":nexz2lr1 said:
You laughed at me 4 weeks ago. Now it becomes even more apparent to me that he is being groomed to be Pete's successor whenever he feels it's time to call it a career. And that would be a good choice.
Some of us were not laughing at you, but at your posts. Still are laughing at said posts. 8)

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":38my476g said:
Perfect time to give Bev a contract extension.

I agree. He has his ups and downs but overall he's been pretty good. He over thinks situations quite a bit, which is when he screws up. He has been with the team so long and is so engrained in our offense so much that replacing him would take a step backwards and take time to get settled. He seems to be making a lot of progress in the past few weeks too.

One thing I find interesting about Bev is that he runs into trouble when we have players that we "need to get the ball to" (Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham... etc). He seems to have issues with play calling when he is forced to customize the offense to focus on certain players. He is at his best when we do not focus on specific players.

Kamcussion

Reaction score
He seems to be at his best when Russell is improvising or calling an audible...

The Outfield

Reaction score
So glad Bevell is staying and wants to be a part of what we have going on here.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Kamcussion":1wxjit7j said:
Thread winner right there. :th2thumbs: ^^^^ 8)

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Receiver Doug Baldwin said he was happy to hear Bevell won’t be leaving.

“It would be a big, big hole to fill if Darrell left,” Baldwin said. “The thing about Darrell Bevell is that he knows everybody’s strengths and weaknesses and has tailored the offense to accommodate those strengths and weaknesses. So whatever the perception is on the outside he’s done a fantastic job with giving us opportunities to be successful.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... ching-job/

Rob12

Reaction score
I wrote out a public apology to Kam, and I should probably do the same for Darrell Bevell.

I've never been one to scream, "Fire Bevell!" after a rough offensive performance. I readily admit that it's been a tough go of it to forgive him for the last play of last year's Owl. But when you look at the stills of that play, frame by frame, the play was there. The touchdown was there. It wasn't a TERRIBLE play call, and it's time I resigned myself to that fact. If it was perfectly executed by the players, we win that game.

My feeling is, be careful with "the grass is greener" mindset. I don't think it would be. Bevell knows our players inside and out, and he knows their strengths and their weaknesses. I'm not a Tom Cable detractor either, but I think that Bevell has been severely limited by a young, inexperienced, and poor pass protecting line. That's going to limit what you can do.

It would be hypocritical of me to blame him for the offense's shortcomings, yet not praise him for how out of our minds our offense has been over the past month. I mean, weighted DVOA, No. 1? Are you kidding me?

Glad that Bevell has put his head coaching aspirations on hold for the time being. And some serious props to Pete if he put a stop to that distraction. Pete's No. 1 obligation is to the team, and the last thing this team needs is its offensive coordinator interviewing for jobs elsewhere. The timing ISN'T right, just as Pete and Bevell said, and that's because of the team.

And wow at Doug's comments. We've been barking up the wrong damn tree for too long. I mean, he could have said nothing at all, or dressed it up a different way. But it seems to me he went out of his way to give Bevell some serious props. That means something.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Rob12":30r9hc7w said:
I wrote out a public apology to Kam, and I should probably do the same for Darrell Bevell.

I've never been one to scream, "Fire Bevell!" after a rough offensive performance. I readily admit that it's been a tough go of it to forgive him for the last play of last year's Owl. But when you look at the stills of that play, frame by frame, the play was there. The touchdown was there. It wasn't a TERRIBLE play call, and it's time I resigned myself to that fact. If it was perfectly executed by the players, we win that game.

My feeling is, be careful with "the grass is greener" mindset. I don't think it would be. Bevell knows our players inside and out, and he knows their strengths and their weaknesses. I'm not a Tom Cable detractor either, but I think that Bevell has been severely limited by a young, inexperienced, and poor pass protecting line. That's going to limit what you can do.

It would be hypocritical of me to blame him for the offense's shortcomings, yet not praise him for how out of our minds our offense has been over the past month. I mean, weighted DVOA, No. 1? Are you kidding me?

Glad that Bevell has put his head coaching aspirations on hold for the time being. And some serious props to Pete if he put a stop to that distraction. Pete's No. 1 obligation is to the team, and the last thing this team needs is its offensive coordinator interviewing for jobs elsewhere. The timing ISN'T right, just as Pete and Bevell said, and that's because of the team.

And wow at Doug's comments. We've been barking up the wrong damn tree for too long. I mean, he could have said nothing at all, or dressed it up a different way. But it seems to me he went out of his way to give Bevell some serious props. That means something.

Agree completely.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":35rdkeur said:

Only if he can get a handle on throwing players under the bus.
Like with Lockette. Like stop doing it and man up and take responsibility.

Tho, ya never know, maybe it's a style thing, and HE can get away with it. But it's not how Pete runs the show now, for sure.

HawkGA

Reaction score
The longer BYU goes without filling their head coaching position, the more optimistic I will be.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":2ok5louq said:
Siouxhawk":2ok5louq said:

Only if he can get a handle on throwing players under the bus.
Like with Lockette. Like stop doing it and man up and take responsibility.

Tho, ya never know, maybe it's a style thing, and HE can get away with it. But it's not how Pete runs the show now, for sure.
He never has done that. Just reading comprehension gone awry and making a mountain out of a molehill

McGruff

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2rnnif3q said:

I like Bevell as an OC, but that would be worse than going from Holmgren to Mora.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1mxhu4ec said:
Siouxhawk":1mxhu4ec said:

I like Bevell as an OC, but that would be worse than going from Holmgren to Mora.
Well realistically I wasn't suggesting it would be tomorrow. But 3 or 4 more years of absorbing Pete's knowledge and style and he could be the man to make a seamless transition.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3d3847hq said:
Kamcussion":3d3847hq said:
Thread winner right there. :th2thumbs: ^^^^ 8)

Yeah. Because that game was nothing but audibles. Or, you know, it wasn't.

Latest posts