Darrell Bevell linked to BYU coaching job

nash72

Reaction score
Whatever it takes, just get rid of him. Please let this happen.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
monoxide":1rjt7j2e said:
I'm a Mormon and have attended BYU for 4 years. The rumor on campus is that we are going for Bevell hard. He is one of the top candidates, and would give our football team NFL credentials. As a private institution, salaries are not disclosed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw the house at him. By all accounts, he's a devout Mormon, and that's huge when looking for a HC. He served his 2 year LDS mission in Ohio, and I know at least one of his kids has served.

Long story short, it's all just rumors at this point, but they're getting hot. Not sure how Seattle feels about Bevell in general, but hopefully the love connection isn't too tight.

I can imagine the in home visits with northwest recruits families, "ok coach, that sounds well and good. But why in the world did you throw the ball?!?"

bandiger

Reaction score
nash72":3hldizq7 said:

You don't think PC will hire either Sark or Kiffin? Very real possibility.

Subzero717

Reaction score
bandiger":pc2utpq1 said:
nash72":pc2utpq1 said:

You don't think PC will hire either Sark or Kiffin? Very real possibility.

I think Sark killed any chance of him coaching anywhere respectable when he sued USC for wrongful termination.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
As a diehard Utah Utes fan... I am indifferent to this speculation.

BYU is also trying to hire Kyle Whittingham who is the current football coach for Utah. Now I'm hearing they are trying to get Bevell? Not the biggest Bevell fan but either way this pans out, I will still hope for a disaster of a coaching season, because BYU is Utah's biggest rival. :twisted:

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
brimsalabim":hmhckg9r said:
I think Norm Chow is available. Wasn't he a record setting OC there?

Would be very surprised if Chow ever got another HC gig. His tenure at Hawaii was pretty much horrible and very nearly killed the football program as a whole. Not to mention he's 69 years old.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
If he gets the coaching job, is he permitted to quit the Hawks job before their NFL season is over assuming Hawks are in playoffs? I assume there's something in his contract that doesn't allow him to do that.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
In spite of Pete's new age-y ways, he actual places a big emphasis on prior NFL experience. He's said in the past that this was the primary thing that dictates whether college coaches can make a successful jump to the pros. That being the case, I don't see him hiring a college OC without first making them cut their teeth as a NFL position coach. Sark is a hot-mess right now, and he also doesn't have the experience. IMO, you absolutely cannot hand him an NFL OC job at this point. In this regard, Kiffin is actually a more realistic candidate (if Bevell did leave for BYU or a NFL HC job) because of his time in Oakland, his prior dealings with Cable, and the fact that his life seems to be in reasonable order. More likely though, it would be an internal promotion or else someone out there who has previously worked in the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
For as many NFL HC jobs as Bevell's interviewed for and didn't get, I wouldn't blame the guy for taking the BYU job.

In fact, I think he'd be good at it. Bevell's got the kind of personality that'd do well in the recruitment game.......he's a no nonsense high character kind of coach.

HawkGA

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":3ebocxu1 said:
If he gets the coaching job, is he permitted to quit the Hawks job before their NFL season is over assuming Hawks are in playoffs? I assume there's something in his contract that doesn't allow him to do that.

It sounds like Pete said no to Bevell and BYU, which I find interesting on a couple of different levels. First, I would have pictured Pete as trying to be more accommodating of staff trying to move up to better opportunities. Second, since it's college and not another pro job, I wouldn't think Pete would get a say. I mean, head coaches can come and go into college ranks without having to get permission from owners even if they are under contract. I'm surprised it's not the same here.

Jville

Reaction score
Good News and Confirmation!
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/674736687071690752[/tweet]

Jeremy517

Reaction score
That pretty much also confirms that Bevell isn't getting fired in the offseason, so the people who are rooting for that to happen better prepare for him to be back instead.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it is timing, we just get offense functional and are making a push, Pete is big on his guys making upwards moves, if successful he could be a HC candidate in the NFL again.

We don't need him doing double duty till the end of the season nor the distractions.

Fade

Reaction score
If the offense continues its current trend all the way into the playoffs. Other NFL teams will be requesting him for interviews during the postseason. Bevell has interviewed for HC jobs during the 2012 & 2013 postseason runs. (I can't remember if he did last postseason.)

The Cleveland Browns would love to have him, and I think that would be the perfect place for him. :D

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":3bggx9nw said:
If the offense continues its current trend all the way into the playoffs. Other NFL teams will be requesting him for interviews during the postseason. Bevell has interviewed for HC jobs during the 2012 & 2013 postseason runs. (I can't remember if he did last postseason.)

The Cleveland Browns would love to have him, and I think that would be the perfect place for him. :D
San Fran would be better after they fire Ron Jeremy's stunt double. 8)

Cartire

Reaction score
For those who hope he get a new job, who are the candidates you want to replace him? And please note, its extremely unlikely to grab someone elses current OC.