Darrell Bevell linked to BYU coaching job

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
MontanaHawk05":2poaabc0 said:
I've always said he's not a horrible OC, just that Russell Wilson could use a real creative type.

Would also like to see a guy who needs less than eight games every year to adapt to the blitz.

Says he's not horrible in the 1st paragraph.
Concedes that he needs 8 games (or half a season :| ) each year to adjust to blitzes.

Fml

Zorn76

Reaction score
The Outfield":xateakg3 said:
I've been on the fence about Bevell. A lot of things he does annoy me... but we also have gotten a lot of wins with him at the helm. Change is scary.

But necessary sometimes.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2c1baj6d said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2c1baj6d said:
chris98251":2c1baj6d said:
Or maybe try to lure Peterson from the UW, he has a proven track record and while they have not won you see the improvement and he has a body of work as well that represents well. It would be a step up for him as a OC for a Pro Franchise based on where he is at currently. I think he has the same mentality as Pete in a lot of things also.

Come on. This would never happen.
I doubt it would.

Probably not, but if you don't ask it never would, just another name.

nategreat

Reaction score
Rob12":3hjxlk0l said:
This is the type of crap that makes .NET insufferable at times. That was actually a well thought out post. If you disagree, use words to actually rebut it. Otherwise, what does your little puking emoticon add to the discussion?

:pukeface:

thebanjodude

Reaction score
Mike Leach is not an active member in good standing. BYU will not be looking to hire him, 100% guaranteed. BYU will certainly be looking at Bevell though, although I doubt he is their first choice.

justafan

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1fgnizqq said:
[flash=][/flash]
HawkGA":1fgnizqq said:
Just curious (honest question) back in the days of Gus Bradley, I assume lots of people were excited for him to move on. Was it immediately obvious BEFORE he moved on who the next DC would be?
Great question. LOL. Many of the Bevell defenders were Bradley defenders and predicted a drop off from Gus Bradley's "genius", the same thing that is being implied by some of the DB defenders will happen if Saint Bevell leaves. :roll:

The defense actually got BETTER after Gus moved on, I expect the same probably will happen to the offense when DB leaves. 8)

Of course the D got better.They signed better Dlineman and the young players had more exp.

Bradley did a great job and I believe he would have done just as well with the team Quinn inherited.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
justafan":1e9mxcth said:
Sports Hernia":1e9mxcth said:
[flash=][/flash]
HawkGA":1e9mxcth said:
Just curious (honest question) back in the days of Gus Bradley, I assume lots of people were excited for him to move on. Was it immediately obvious BEFORE he moved on who the next DC would be?
Great question. LOL. Many of the Bevell defenders were Bradley defenders and predicted a drop off from Gus Bradley's "genius", the same thing that is being implied by some of the DB defenders will happen if Saint Bevell leaves. :roll:

The defense actually got BETTER after Gus moved on, I expect the same probably will happen to the offense when DB leaves. 8)

Of course the D got better.They signed better Dlineman and the young players had more exp.

Bradley did a great job and I believe he would have done just as well with the team Quinn inherited.

I don't agree Bradley would have done as well. Quinn was a D-line coach before becoming a DC and had good success there where Bradley was a secondary coach who sold his way into the job. Remember how bad the secondary was before Pete arrived as well as the entire D. But the real stamp on the defense is Pete. It's his baby and the coordinator is truly running Pete's system.

The offense is more of a question mark as to who's real design it is. We know Pete stresses ball control, running, clock management and trusting the defense but to what extent the plays are drawn up is a much bigger mystery as is what true constraints he may be putting on the offensive coordinator to meet his requirements. Assuming we could just grab another coordinator and things would improve is a little naive.

Of the coordinators named in this thread which ones of those are going to work well with Pete's restraints? Or are we suggesting Pete takes a hands off approach?

If I were to throw a name out there. What is Norm Chow doing these days?

randomation

Reaction score
Please please.

Now as for replacements what about someone like Scott Frost or Tom Herman.

randomation

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1hbc59pd said:
Scottemojo":1hbc59pd said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1hbc59pd said:
Where's that thread were people suggested alternatives?

People should go read it and then have a good long think about their take on DB.

Put your money where your mouth is.

If forced to choose an new OC, back to the wall, who do you want, and why.

Paul Chryst. Experienced with our QB, at the very least, and some NFL experience.

Also, and this is for Rob, given the increasing prevalence of college systems in the NFL, I'm not as leery about taking on such a candidate for the NFL as I used to be.

Have you watched Wisconsin this season? You don't want Chryst if UW had even a half decent O to go with their D they would have been in the game against MSU over Iowa.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Rob12":13lie214 said:
Someone else said it and I'll echo it. Change is scary.

Other than the play that lost us our second Lombardi, I've been quiet on Bevell. I don't like everything that he does. I think he is very slow to adjust at times. But when I look at the body of work over the past three seasons, it's hard to argue the results. It really is. We've enjoyed some very good offenses with little draft capital and dollars going to the offensive side of the football.

Overall, I don't see how he's not a success here. And while much of .NET pines for change, I hope you all at least think about the old cliche of the grass not always being greener on the other side.

We're hyper critical of Bevell and I think at times it's grossly unfair. I'm a lot like ENGLISH in that I'm not really a Bevell supporter, but I'm less against him than for him. I think given the circumstances, he's done a good job. Kinda feels weird saying that.

At the end of the day (another cliche!), the players are the ones who have to produce.

When 1 or 2 talented players don't produce it is a player problem. When most of your talented players don't produce it is a coaching problem.

NINEster

Reaction score
The Outfield":3l6ih48w said:
I've been on the fence about Bevell. A lot of things he does annoy me... but we also have gotten a lot of wins with him at the helm. Change is scary.

Bevell plays a bigger role in Wilson's success IMHO than people give him credit for.

People like to say Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh protected Kap.....and you know what, I think Bevell has done quite a bit for Wilson as well.

Shannahan father and son did the same for Griffin, he just couldn't appreciate it and look what happened to him.

Are there better more innovative OCs than Bevell/Roman? Sure, absolutely if we're talking about having a quality veteran QB.

But the management of these types of QBs is harder I think that gets credit for.

And there aren't many top OCs just laying around for the taking either.

The strategy the Seahawks should employ is to gradually add responsibility to Wilson each year, similar to how Eli, Ben, Flacco were assimilated into this league.

Eventually, if Wilson is as good as people think he is, he will become a top QB on his own.

The 49ers should have done the same thing btw. When you have a very good defense and running game, you can do stuff like this.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Bitter":1iyaqo6w said:
When 1 or 2 talented players don't produce it is a player problem. When most of your talented players don't produce it is a coaching problem.

Who isn't producing?

Rawls? Wilson?

Graham was going to set franchise marks for a TE in Seattle.

*Someone take my keyboard off me*

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":ic772zwt said:
I fully expect us to run all over Baltimore and Cleveland.. but its the games against Minnesota, STL and Arizona where I want to see how the offense looks and how Bevell reacts/game plans for each respective defense.

Seattle had something like the 4th best DVOA in offense before they trucked Minnesota today. And also, Pittsburgh actually had a decent defense when Seattle faced them, it's just that the style of defense they ran and the pace of the game meant big numbers for our offense.

justafan

Reaction score
RichNhansom":au1dqwez said:
justafan":au1dqwez said:
Sports Hernia":au1dqwez said:
[flash=][/flash]
HawkGA":au1dqwez said:

I don't agree Bradley would have done as well. Quinn was a D-line coach before becoming a DC and had good success there where Bradley was a secondary coach who sold his way into the job. Remember how bad the secondary was before Pete arrived as well as the entire D. But the real stamp on the defense is Pete. It's his baby and the coordinator is truly running Pete's system.

The offense is more of a question mark as to who's real design it is. We know Pete stresses ball control, running, clock management and trusting the defense but to what extent the plays are drawn up is a much bigger mystery as is what true constraints he may be putting on the offensive coordinator to meet his requirements. Assuming we could just grab another coordinator and things would improve is a little naive.

Of the coordinators named in this thread which ones of those are going to work well with Pete's restraints? Or are we suggesting Pete takes a hands off approach?

If I were to throw a name out there. What is Norm Chow doing these days?

Actually he was a LBs coach before he got here.The whole team was a mess before Pete got here.
The D allowed less ppg than Quinns.With less talent and players with less experience.
Sportsfans for all teams just want a person to blame and take the fall

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Liz_Mathews/status/674006307242795008[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/674005840479707136[/tweet]

monoxide

Reaction score
I'm a Mormon and have attended BYU for 4 years. The rumor on campus is that we are going for Bevell hard. He is one of the top candidates, and would give our football team NFL credentials. As a private institution, salaries are not disclosed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw the house at him. By all accounts, he's a devout Mormon, and that's huge when looking for a HC. He served his 2 year LDS mission in Ohio, and I know at least one of his kids has served.

Long story short, it's all just rumors at this point, but they're getting hot. Not sure how Seattle feels about Bevell in general, but hopefully the love connection isn't too tight.

chris98251

Reaction score
They will keep this under wraps as long as possible in Seattle, they have had enough distractions this season already, Bevell may work a wink and nod deal out on the side for after the season, while trying to do his staff recruitment on the side if he chooses to take the job and if it is offered.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think Norm Chow is available. Wasn't he a record setting OC there?