Darrell Bevell linked to BYU coaching job

HawkGA

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":pllqfozs said:
olyfan63":pllqfozs said:
Siouxhawk":pllqfozs said:
You laughed at me 4 weeks ago. Now it becomes even more apparent to me that he is being groomed to be Pete's successor whenever he feels it's time to call it a career. And that would be a good choice.

Only if he can get a handle on throwing players under the bus.
Like with Lockette. Like stop doing it and man up and take responsibility.

Tho, ya never know, maybe it's a style thing, and HE can get away with it. But it's not how Pete runs the show now, for sure.
He never has done that. Just reading comprehension gone awry and making a mountain out of a molehill

You keep saying this, yet I've never seen any evidence of it. I have, however, seen quotes from two different reporters that sound like that is exactly what he did.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cartire":3okekzli said:
Sports Hernia":3okekzli said:
Kamcussion":3okekzli said:
He seems to be at his best when Russell is improvising or calling an audible...
Thread winner right there. :th2thumbs: ^^^^ 8)

Yeah. Because that game was nothing but audibles. Or, you know, it wasn't.
I don't think anyone is claiming that. Nice strawman though.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3f2687qg said:
I don't think anyone is claiming that. Nice strawman though.

Do you know what a strawman is?

I know exactly what he is claiming and so do you, thus why you replied like you did. Don't deflect.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":1tl35ifl said:
The longer BYU goes without filling their head coaching position, the more optimistic I will be.

didn't Pete say he's not giving BYU permission to talk to Bevell yesterday at his presser? Could have sworn he said it's just not a good time for Darrell to be gone, bad timing, etc.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":30p0sj3p said:
HawkGA":30p0sj3p said:
The longer BYU goes without filling their head coaching position, the more optimistic I will be.

didn't Pete say he's not giving BYU permission to talk to Bevell yesterday at his presser? Could have sworn he said it's just not a good time for Darrell to be gone, bad timing, etc.

Clayton said this morning that Bevell is a no go for that position. Said that the timing isn't right for it at this time. He intimated that both the Seahawks and BYU conveyed similar messages.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3omhb734 said:
HawkGA":3omhb734 said:

No permission during the season means nothing if BYU still doesn't have a coach after the season is over.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2qdiar7e said:
You laughed at me 4 weeks ago. Now it becomes even more apparent to me that he is being groomed to be Pete's successor whenever he feels it's time to call it a career. And that would be a good choice.

:lol:

He'd be a strong candidate if we didn't have another month of games plus a playoff chase. It has nothing to do with being "groomed" for the Seahawks job .. its all about timing. The only reason that Dan Quinn got a job this past offseason is the Falcons were willing to wait for him. In college, you don't have that luxury.. especially with recruiting ramping right back up the moment the regular season ends.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":om23syjb said:
Sgt. Largent":om23syjb said:
HawkGA":om23syjb said:

No permission during the season means nothing if BYU still doesn't have a coach after the season is over.

There is 0% chance BYU is willing to wait this out.

College isn't the NFL. Recruiting is the be all and end all. And it's going on right now.

mikeak

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3q29j4bj said:
HawkGA":3q29j4bj said:
Sgt. Largent":3q29j4bj said:
HawkGA":3q29j4bj said:

There is 0% chance BYU is willing to wait this out.

College isn't the NFL. Recruiting is the be all and end all. And it's going on right now.

Agreed - the Seahawks season doesn't end until February 6th, 2016 which is why late to hire a college head-coach for recruiting reasons

HawkGA

Reaction score
Alabama waited out Saban. Not saying they will wait him out, but it's not like it never happens. It may not even be intentional. If the flirtation with the Utah coach lasts a while but doesn't result in anything, then we get closer and closer to when Bevell might be available.

Cartire

Reaction score
HawkGA":1kjm5xvw said:
Alabama waited out Saban. Not saying they will wait him out, but it's not like it never happens. It may not even be intentional. If the flirtation with the Utah coach lasts a while but doesn't result in anything, then we get closer and closer to when Bevell might be available.

Listen, I support Bevell here because he is a decent coach and gets far too much scrutiny and misplaced blame (sometimes deserved, just not .net level).

But with that being said, Bevell is no Saban. Thats apples and oranges.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Cartire":332m8myd said:
HawkGA":332m8myd said:

Listen, I support Bevell here because he is a decent coach and gets far too much scrutiny and misplaced blame (sometimes deserved, just not .net level).

But with that being said, Bevell is no Saban. Thats apples and oranges.

Bevell is no Saban, you are right. I was thinking that at the time but I guess it didn't make it into the post. I'm sure there have been other examples of pro coaches going to college. The only I can think of off the top of my head was the Atlanta coach who went to Arkansas. He didn't wait for the season to be over though. Did Spurrier go right from the Redskins to South Carolina or did he take time off in between?

But note what I said at the end. There are some scenarios (or at least one) where it could still happen, even if that isn't the plan right now.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Did anyone consider that Bev likes being with the Hawks and although I'm sure the BYU job is quite appealing, he's happy where he is at? And I'm sure Pete conferred with him before he made the announcement about him being off limits to BYU. It also is my belief that making this concession will land a nice contract extension after we win another Super Bowl.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1zajvhmc said:
Did anyone consider that Bev likes being with the Hawks and although I'm sure the BYU job is quite appealing, he's happy where he is at? And I'm sure Pete conferred with him before he made the announcement about him being off limits to BYU. It also is my belief that making this concession will land a nice contract extension after we win another Super Bowl.

I doubt that is the case. I mean, sure, I bet he does like his job. But he also wants to be a head coach (as he said, unless you're going to say him saying that was bad reading comprehension and social media's fault). I might buy that he doesn't want to coach college and would rather coach the pros. But I doubt it's because he just wants to remain a Seahawk.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":23w0lz4l said:
Siouxhawk":23w0lz4l said:

I doubt that is the case. I mean, sure, I bet he does like his job. But he also wants to be a head coach (as he said, unless you're going to say him saying that was bad reading comprehension and social media's fault). I might buy that he doesn't want to coach college and would rather coach the pros. But I doubt it's because he just wants to remain a Seahawk.

Well yeah, obviously, as he's applied elsewhere. But he probably realizes he's learning from the best, we're building a tradition of success and I'm sure that's fun to be a part of. He's still relatively young, so why not absorb as much knowledge from Pete that he can and then use that himself when he finally makes that major step?
I say we're lucky to have him. But he still needs to prove it every week. That's just the nature of the biz.

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2lafh9hn said:

This literally the only time I've ever agreed with you.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":s7ys1of5 said:
HawkGA":s7ys1of5 said:
Siouxhawk":s7ys1of5 said:

Well yeah, obviously, as he's applied elsewhere. But he probably realizes he's learning from the best, we're building a tradition of success and I'm sure that's fun to be a part of. He's still relatively young, so why not absorb as much knowledge from Pete that he can and then use that himself when he finally makes that major step?
I say we're lucky to have him. But he still needs to prove it every week. That's just the nature of the biz.

It could be Carroll is grooming him to become the next head coach?

Seymour

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2siv9x95 said:
It could be Carroll is grooming him to become the next head coach?

That is no job for Pete. Edward to the rescue!

526x297 bJU

Latest posts