Darrell Bevell linked to BYU coaching job

Jville

Reaction score
There is plenty of room for Darrell Bevell fans. Doug Baldwin is a fan. Tom Cable is a fan. Pete Carroll is a fan. That's some pretty good company.

ivotuk

Reaction score
NINEster":3sd1rt5t said:
The Outfield":3sd1rt5t said:
I've been on the fence about Bevell. A lot of things he does annoy me... but we also have gotten a lot of wins with him at the helm. Change is scary.

Bevell plays a bigger role in Wilson's success IMHO than people give him credit for.

People like to say Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh protected Kap.....and you know what, I think Bevell has done quite a bit for Wilson as well.

Shannahan father and son did the same for Griffin, he just couldn't appreciate it and look what happened to him.

Are there better more innovative OCs than Bevell/Roman? Sure, absolutely if we're talking about having a quality veteran QB.

But the management of these types of QBs is harder I think that gets credit for.

And there aren't many top OCs just laying around for the taking either.

The strategy the Seahawks should employ is to gradually add responsibility to Wilson each year, similar to how Eli, Ben, Flacco were assimilated into this league.

Eventually, if Wilson is as good as people think he is, he will become a top QB on his own.

The 49ers should have done the same thing btw. When you have a very good defense and running game, you can do stuff like this.

This is an excellent post with great points.

Ben Rapistberger when he first started had almost identical stats to Russell early in his career. 28 passes per game, run the ball, #1 defense.

I used to dislike Bevell, thinking that he was only mediocre, but I stand corrected. He's an excellent OC that will only improve each year.

firebee

Reaction score
HawkGA":1vuwf5mr said:
Siouxhawk":1vuwf5mr said:
Did anyone consider that Bev likes being with the Hawks and although I'm sure the BYU job is quite appealing, he's happy where he is at? And I'm sure Pete conferred with him before he made the announcement about him being off limits to BYU. It also is my belief that making this concession will land a nice contract extension after we win another Super Bowl.

I doubt that is the case. I mean, sure, I bet he does like his job. But he also wants to be a head coach (as he said, unless you're going to say him saying that was bad reading comprehension and social media's fault). I might buy that he doesn't want to coach college and would rather coach the pros. But I doubt it's because he just wants to remain a Seahawk.

I could honestly care less if Bevell took a job somewhere else. I think we'd be fine. Sherman Smith and Karl Smith have been here since the beginning, so I could see either of them stepping up as OC depending on what direction we want to go with our offense and not see our offense drop off much, if at all. Personally, I'd be in favor of Sherman Smith because I think a backs coach would keep our offense running with the smashmouth style it's been when we're successful. Keep Karl Smith on to work with Russell Wilson with Tom Cable overseeing the continuity of the offense and developing the offensive line... We'd be fine.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
firebee":ygakrgxa said:
I could honestly care less....

How much less? Do you really care that much right now about this subject? Come, now...