@DangerPuss is struggling in practice.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It is unique and not at all ordinary for a player to lobby for his coach and GM to be fired so that he can use them as a smoke screen to cover for the fact that they were correct in seeing that he wasn't the player he portrayed himself to be or that the team needed. If you disagree, when else has it happened? When else has a player so vociferously claimed innocence and ignorance at being traded not only knowing it was happening, but actively lobbying teammates to come with him to his preferred destination.

Trying to normalize that kind of behavior is ridiculous. It doesn't occur everyday in business or in sport and when it does, it's grounds for that player or employee to be terminated and for their actions to be reflected in their record for any enquiring eye to see for the remainder of their career. Russ wasn't just 'doing what business people do'. He was doing what narcissistic, ego driven people do. Trying to couch it as the everyday behavior of business people is like trying to minimize criminal activity because it happens everyday.

And he will forever be remembered for it. As will his final, unceremonious and revealing years with the Broncos

It is unique and not at all ordinary for a player to lobby for his coach and GM to be fired so that he can use them as a smoke screen to cover for the fact that they were correct in seeing that he wasn't the player he portrayed himself to be or that the team needed. If you disagree, when else has it happened? When else has a player so vociferously claimed innocence and ignorance at being traded not only knowing it was happening, but actively lobbying teammates to come with him to his preferred destination.

Trying to normalize that kind of behavior is ridiculous. It doesn't occur everyday in business or in sport and when it does, it's grounds for that player or employee to be terminated and for their actions to be reflected in their record for any enquiring eye to see for the remainder of their career. Russ wasn't just 'doing what business people do'. He was doing what narcissistic, ego driven people do. Trying to couch it as the everyday behavior of business people is like trying to minimize criminal activity because it happens everyday.

And he will forever be remembered for it. As will his final, unceremonious and revealing years with the Broncos.
In football, maybe not, at least not that we know of. Most of those discussions stay behind closed doors, but with today's increased social media presence, it's harder to keep those conversations private, and it's even harder to separate fact from fiction. Did Russell actually lobby to get Pete fired or was it a "him or me" demand? Or did the conversation even take place? Who knows what Brady said to Kraft about Belichick or Rodgers to the Packers about Matt LaFleur.

My point is that it is SOP for egos to clash like that in the business world, and it's very naive to believe otherwise.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sounds like Payton isn't gonna let Russ off easy this season. Wilson will be playing in the first preseason game this year, unlike last season when he didn't take a single snap in the preseason.

That was one of my biggest criticisms of the Hackett/Wilson disaster. It was extremely unusual, perhaps unprecedented, that a quarterback with a new team did not play at all in the preseason, and it was a major factor in their loss to us in the opener as their offense was completely disorganized and out of sync.

Last edited:

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
That was one of my biggest criticisms of the Hackett/Wilson disaster. It was extremely unusual, perhaps unprecedented, that a quarterback with a new team did not play at all in the preseason, and it was a major factor in their loss to us in the opener as their offense was completely disorganized and out of sync.
Newly traded diva QB + rookie HC = disaster.

If Wilson wanted to play, he would've played. If he didn't, Hackett should've made him play. I don't think Wilson respected Hackett's authority, and the blame falls partly on Hackett himself. Hackett seems like a nice guy, I felt bad for him when he got fired on Christmas of all days, but guys like him tend to get treated like pushovers, because they let themselves get treated like that.

keasley45

Reaction score

I think their offense looked better against us than it did the rest of the season.

bileever

Reaction score
Hackett has said that witnessing the conflict between Matt LaFleur and Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay influenced the way he interacted with Wilson. He saw how toxic the situation became with the Packers and wanted to avoid that. So he tried to be more accommodating toward Wilson.

I speculate that Wilson, for his part, went into Denver thinking that he didn't want his coach controlling him and probably made an effort to dictate the terms of the relationship. Now, he's ended up with a coach who is more dictatorial than Pete ever was.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Newly traded diva QB + rookie HC = disaster.

If Wilson wanted to play, he would've played. If he didn't, Hackett should've made him play. I don't think Wilson respected Hackett's authority, and the blame falls partly on Hackett himself. Hackett seems like a nice guy, I felt bad for him when he got fired on Christmas of all days, but guys like him tend to get treated like pushovers, because they let themselves get treated like that.
This is exactly how I see that situation. The two of them viewed their relationship, at least from an offensive perspective as a co-coach, that they would share the decision making. And as mentioned, Hackett was a rookie HC, so he didn't have the same degree of credibility with is players, especially with a 10 year veteran quarterback, as a Super Bowl winning HC like Payton would.

bileever

Reaction score
Is that really how he came dressed to a play a football game? Whatever happened to humility and class? To not calling attention to one's self? I'm pretty sure you should be focused on something other than what you're going to wear.

toffee

Reaction score
Is that really how he came dressed to a play a football game? Whatever happened to humility and class? To not calling attention to one's self? I'm pretty sure you should be focused on something other than what you're going to wear.
Yes indeed, he wore that green tuxedo to his 'home coming' game. He was so sure that the Broncos will destroy Pete's team.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Clearly Wilson was quite motivated for that Monday night game. He expected an easy game, he expected a big win, he even dressed for that post game presser.View attachment 60071
Wow, there few other people on this planet that are this tone deaf. But as I said before this truly entertains me.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I always laugh when a online person calls a athlete a pussy or a name that they never would in person to them. These athletes(including Russ) would beat your face in. So really the name caller is really the soft one and a coward.

Gross people support it. Talk X and O's or say why you think they are not good enough with stats? Cool. Calling them personal names is weak.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I always laugh when a online person calls a athlete a pussy or a name that they never would in person to them. These athletes(including Russ) would beat your face in. So really the name caller is really the soft one and a coward.

Gross people support it. Talk X and O's or say why you think they are not good enough with stats? Cool. Calling them personal names is weak.
Yeah, and I'll bet that he typed that with one arm tied behind his back, too.

I agree, calling someone a pussy from the safety of their keyboard is weak. But you'll have to admit that the way Russell was dressed was truly laughable. A lime green tux? He was going to a locker room to suit up for football game, not the Oscars. And speaking of which, it was a similar story with that skanky outfit his wife was dressed in at that Oscar's party a few months back. Talk about "look at me and eat your heart out! I'll bet that you'd want to f*** this, wouldn't you! I've seen hookers dress with more class.

I realize that I'm more of a Bill Belichick torn hoody type when it comes to fashion and style, but Holy cow.

Scout

Reaction score
Deion Sanders dressed like that all time going to the stadium with swag, but on the field he performed and backed up that swag.

toffee

Reaction score
Wow, there few other people on this planet that are this tone deaf. But as I said before this truly entertains me.
This time last year, before the first game of the season, Wilson was the king. Broncos expected him to lift them up where they belong, media was on his side, even guys in MLB and NBA were dancing to "Let's ride". He bought the most expensive house in Denver history, even a monster truck for his first training camp. He will be on more prime time games than anyone else.

Seahawks? Our QB was ranked #33 or something like that, in a league with 32 teams. Media expert expected us to win THREE games. Our ownership was the laughing stock for picking to stay with Pete/John instead of Wilson. We were wrote off before first snap.

Then came the season opener, the monday night game, King Wilson wore a green tuxedo for his coronation. Pete used all he had for the game too: Sherm and the old gang were on hand, 12s booed Wilson, Pete used every thing that he knew about Wilson in that game. Our young OC and that #33 ranked QB showed the world Peteball doesn't have to be run heavy, and middle of the field was back in business. And 12s booed, and booed, and booed, and booed some more.

I read somewhere that Wilson's teammates waited an hour on buses for Wilson, he need that hour to gather himself, or his fragile psyche, before he could face the work again. He ain't been the same every since that Monday night game.

RiverDog

Reaction score
This time last year, before the first game of the season, Wilson was the king. Broncos expected him to lift them up where they belong, media was on his side, even guys in MLB and NBA were dancing to "Let's ride". He bought the most expensive house in Denver history, even a monster truck for his first training camp. He will be on more prime time games than anyone else.

Seahawks? Our QB was ranked #33 or something like that, in a league with 32 teams. Media expert expected us to win THREE games. Our ownership was the laughing stock for picking to stay with Pete/John instead of Wilson. We were wrote off before first snap.

Then came the season opener, the monday night game, King Wilson wore a green tuxedo for his coronation. Pete used all he had for the game too: Sherm and the old gang were on hand, 12s booed Wilson, Pete used every thing that he knew about Wilson in that game. Our young OC and that #33 ranked QB showed the world Peteball doesn't have to be run heavy, and middle of the field was back in business. And 12s booed, and booed, and booed, and booed some more.

I read somewhere that Wilson's teammates waited an hour on buses for Wilson, he need that hour to gather himself, or his fragile psyche, before he could face the work again. He ain't been the same every since that Monday night game.
Basically true, but I think you're being a little melodramatic. 'Some' in the media might have had us winning 3 games, but the over/under line was 5.5 games, meaning that there weren't that many of them that thought we'd win that few.

But yeah, we were the laughing stock. Last summer, I went to Colorado to visit a friend and went into a bar wearing my Seahawks baseball cap. Several of the patrons looked at me and laughed. I can guarantee you that they're not laughing now. After last season, they must feel like they were walking around with their fly unzipped, getting fleeced in that trade and hiring a one and done head coach.

That MNF game was a complete abortion from the Broncos perspective. They had several delay of game penalties, one inside the 10 that arguably took away points, and were late getting to the LOS the entire game, the worst of it all coming in the waning moments when they couldn't make their minds up on a long distance FG attempt or a 4th and 5 play at near 50% odds of converting effort from their $1/4B quarterback, eventually settling on what would have been a record FG in an open air stadium at sea level. They literally weren't ready for Prime Time.

And it never got any better, hitting rock bottom in a 51-14 drubbing on Xmas Day that resulted in the firing of 1/2 of their head coaching team.

Although we don't have the same amount of skin in the game this season as we did last year, it's going to be an interesting drama to watch unfold.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Yeah, and I'll bet that he typed that with one arm tied behind his back, too.

I agree, calling someone a pussy from the safety of their keyboard is weak. But you'll have to admit that the way Russell was dressed was truly laughable. A lime green tux? He was going to a locker room to suit up for football game, not the Oscars. And speaking of which, it was a similar story with that skanky outfit his wife was dressed in at that Oscar's party a few months back. Talk about "look at me and eat your heart out! I'll bet that you'd want to f*** this, wouldn't you! I've seen hookers dress with more class.

I realize that I'm more of a Bill Belichick torn hoody type when it comes to fashion and style, but Holy cow.
Joking on clothes is funny. Im not sensitive. Calling personal names and doing it behind is a keyboard is soft. Lmao

OP
OP
Hawkspeed

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Remember this Geno chant?

On second thought...maybe this clip isn't from that night. But, during that game, I was so inspired to hear the 12's chant Geno...Geno...!

Imagine what it meant to Geno Smith to hear that...It was a real, "affirming" life experience for him!

Last edited: