Random Thoughts™ on the Chargers preseason game

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
CANHawk":2b44jwum said:
Smelly McUgly":2b44jwum said:
I love reading Kearly's thoughts so much.

San Diego was running more complex stuff on both offense and defense while we were trying out undersized LBs at DE and playing only half our starters. I wouldn't read too much into those first couple drives. Now, if we suck in Week Three of the preseason, I'll be nervous.

One note: Unger is WAY better than whoever we have backing him up. Dude needs to stay healthy. When Russell Wilson was pressured, it was because a) San Diego was blitzing and b) the pressure came right up the middle.

Yeah, as somebody said yesterday, I think a lot of that was the new regime in SD trying to get some things established while we had a bunch of experiments playing and our starters were wearing street clothes. I'm reading NOTHING into the first couple drives. Remember, Jim Mora Jr. mopped the fricken floor with everyone in pre-season...

I forgot to mention that, but yeah, it did seem like both teams tipped their hand a lot on defense for a first preseason game.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
I've only seen the "highlights" from NFL.com, which means I really didn't see much (other than Tavaras Jackson abusing 2nd and 3rd string guys)...

What surprised you guys? Who performed well and how's stock took a hit?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Didn't read much about YOLO. What were your thoughts on his play last night?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Once Michael relaxes a bit, allowing his blockers another 1/2 second, I think he will be pushing Lynch hard for playing time. No knock on ML (he's my man!) but the kid has the potential to be an all-timer in our blocking scheme. I also liked the fact he did well in picking up rushers.

Pete preaches competition and swears the 1 spot will go to the most deserving. To this point, he hasn't had to ruffle the feathers of a guy as loved as ML. It will be interesting to see how many touches Michael gets, compared to Lynch, the second half of the season. RBs hate splitting time and doing so does hinder their productivity, but I really love the idea of us going this route for several reasons (Increased longevity for Lynch...being #1). Thunder and lightning.

Thanks for the great (unexpected) read Kearly. Much appreciated and your honesty refreshing.

Axx

Reaction score
Jessi Williams was pancaked on a passing play....... -_-"

Sac

Reaction score
Truth. Oh and iRo, I'd appreciate it if you would stop trying to get me to buy Melaluca. Thanks.

McGruff

Reaction score
I would like to thank all the posters IN ADDITION TO KEARLY who have contributed to the insights contained in this thread and others related to the game.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice work, thank you :D I only got to see pieces of the game early thanks to direct tv snafu so was wondering how it went. Surprised my favorite whipping boy, Jaye played so well. Maybe it's all about having the correct DC.

HawkWow

Reaction score
ivotuk":oi2a83rg said:
Nice work, thank you :D I only got to see pieces of the game early thanks to direct tv snafu so was wondering how it went. Surprised my favorite whipping boy, Jaye played so well. Maybe it's all about having the correct DC.

This is troublesome as the Direct TV dish is being mounted on my roof as I type. Are these "snafus" a thing of regularity?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Gotta say that I really like that Coleman kid at fullback. Really stood out to me.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I just hope the team learns how to play four quarters this year. They seem to be non existent on the road until they "catch their stride" sometime in the third. I wanted to see us come out strong to start a road game, but it didn't happen. If we would show early, we wouldn't have to pull out these tight games late like we did last year. I was a bit dissapointed this, obviously understanding that is only per season.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":9ttx7ora said:
Thank you for this, kearly. All good.

I would disagree slighty on the Chargers. Their HC aint no joke and their offense held nothing back, against a very base/vanilla D. The Chargers needed to play their offense as if it was regular season game to get a grasp of it. They did.

That's a good offensive mind they were facing.
Totally agree they actually ran some schemes a few times!?! Especially on defense.

Good stuff Kearly.:lol:

Latest posts