Dan Quinn

Giblien

Reaction score
If the falcons fire Dan Quinn, would you want to see Pete bring him back as our D coordinator?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Yes, but he wouldn't do that. He would bring him back first as a Dline coach..IMO.

Granted with the recent defensive struggle.. he might be justified to fire Norton.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
lukerguy":c39wu1vs said:
Yes, but he wouldn't do that. He would bring him back first as a Dline coach..IMO.

Granted with the recent defensive struggle.. he might be justified to fire Norton.

Pete would never fire Norton in the middle of the season.

getnasty

Reaction score
If i saw this topic 32 times before would i still want to click on it? Hell Yeah

lukerguy

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2rxjykio said:
lukerguy":2rxjykio said:

Pete would never fire Norton in the middle of the season.

I agree.. and yet I still wouldn't change my verbiage.

Sentence one was stating that pete would not fire Norton mid-season. Sentence two was stating that he would be justified in doing so.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
What made Quinn such an outstanding D Coach is the players he had.
Today, not so much.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If the Falcons fire Quinn, which at this point seems inevitable, he's going to have a lot of suitors so it's highly unlikely that he'd come back as a D-line coach. Pete generally doesn't fire his coaches after just one season, the exception being Jeremy Bates, so I'd say that the chances of Quinn returning to the Seahawks is somewhere between slim and none.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
lukerguy":2mxykyb5 said:

Will never happen. Head coaches are not going to take 2 steps down. Quinn becomes a DC somewhere, or he moves down to college as a HC. Or he becomes a TV analyst.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
How about as a defensive 'consultant' (or, QC guy if you like that better) for the rest of the year? Just to provide another experienced voice in the room when the coaches are looking at film and stuff, maybe walk around in practice and provide an additional pair of eyes, with the idea that he could help develop our mostly-pretty-young backfield better? Then he could go off and HC somewhere else next year and it's a win-win all around. No salary cap on coaches, after all!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I could see Quinn coming on as an Assistant for the remainder of this season and then try for a DC job with another team in the offseason.

However, coming in and working for this Defense, which is really bad, may not do much to help him get a DC job in the offseason. He may be better off taking a paid vacation for the rest of the season and trying his luck at a new job in February.

He also has connections to Gus Bradley and they are close (remember they worked together when Bradley was DC here and Bradley hired Quinn when he was in Jacksonville) so Bradley might want Quinn as an assistant in San Diego too.

Quinn has options.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IMO Quinn and Norton are interchangable, both run Pete's defensive schemes.

So I don't really think Quinn brings anything new to the defense, but sure he could come back as the D-line coach or "Defensive Consultant."

I think some fans have fond memories of the Bradley/Quinn years, and therefore think that means Quinn is an upgrade over Norton, but I don't see that.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Tusc2000":w6e4pvt9 said:
lukerguy":w6e4pvt9 said:

Will never happen. Head coaches are not going to take 2 steps down. Quinn becomes a DC somewhere, or he moves down to college as a HC. Or he becomes a TV analyst.

Coaches do this all the time.. literally, all the time.

Tom Cable went from head coach to OLINE coach. Obviously, moving from HC to DC is the most obvious, but if he wanted a job mid season, then it would be as a specialty coach with a "wink wink nudge nudge" in the offseason to DC.

RiverDog

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2thbgsrp said:
How about as a defensive 'consultant' (or, QC guy if you like that better) for the rest of the year?

Just guessing, but I'd be surprised if Quinn took such a position. Being an NFL HC is an extremely stressful job, and if it were me, I'd take some time off, take my wife to someplace tropical, and give myself a little downtime before deciding what to do next with my career.

James in PA

Reaction score
RiverDog":1zjs9shs said:
GeekHawk":1zjs9shs said:
How about as a defensive 'consultant' (or, QC guy if you like that better) for the rest of the year?

Just guessing, but I'd be surprised if Quinn took such a position. Being an NFL HC is an extremely stressful job, and if it were me, I'd take some time off, take my wife to someplace tropical, and give myself a little downtime before deciding what to do next with my career.
Yep, even if Quinn gets canned, he wouldn’t take a lesser job THIS year with another NFL team. Maybe in the off-season, but certainly not now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":jxwub6ui said:
GeekHawk":jxwub6ui said:

I could see it happening in the interim if Quinn gets fired before the season's over, Pete bringing him in for he remainder of this year.

But my guess is Quinn is an experienced enough DC that there will be quite a few teams in the off season that will be pursuing him.

xray

Reaction score
There are plenty of teams with porous defenses . Seattle is just one . Quinn can get a job anywhere . He did take the Falcons to a super bowl .

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I would love to see Quinn as DC and Norton back to what he does best; coach LBs.

My ultimate dream would be to have Richard back to coach the secondary too.

I know players are important but coaching develops them and is the real issue here. We need solid coaching all across again. Sigh.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":teaypm3q said:
I would love to see Quinn as DC and Norton back to what he does best; coach LBs.

My ultimate dream would be to have Richard back to coach the secondary too.

I know players are important but coaching develops them and is the real issue here. We need solid coaching all across again. Sigh.

Again -- the secondary didn't look so hot under Richard when the LOB started to decline in 2016.

Norton is our DC and our LB play is still average.

You can't let the nostalgia of the 2013-2014 team confuse you with those teams were loaded with talent.

If they want to fix the defense I would love a fresh voice.

Quinn's defenses in Atlanta have been terrible and that is with him calling the plays.

No matter who the "Dc is" -- it's Pete's defense

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":18ooyf55 said:
And look at the talent Quinn had back then vs. what the Hawks have now. It's not even close.
Even great talent needs to be developed and coached. Don’t kid yourself. Belicheat and his staff do it every year with unknowns.