Dan Quinn and.... Chip Kelly???

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Wouldn't really be all that bad of a hire, if you ask me. Chip isn't running the same crazy tempo spread passing offense these days. He's churning out pretty decent, creative rushing attacks at UCLA and might be a really good hire at the spot, actually. Not the same Chip that'd have our offense gasping for air, running a play every 20 seconds, and hopelessly behind in the TOP department.

A marriage of his spread passing background and his aptitude in the ground game could be really nice in the NFL.

Mick063

Reaction score
Wouldn't really be all that bad of a hire, if you ask me. Chip isn't running the same crazy tempo spread passing offense these days. He's churning out pretty decent, creative rushing attacks at UCLA and might be a really good hire at the spot, actually. Not the same Chip that'd have our offense gasping for air, running a play every 20 seconds, and hopelessly behind in the TOP department.

A marriage of his spread passing background and his aptitude in the ground game could be really nice in the NFL.
Every NFL offensive coach has an up-tempo scheme in his back pocket. Some teams use it situationally. Some hardly ever. Kelley used it all of the time. The Colts once mastered it because Peyton Manning had the authority to call plays on the field and adjust on the fly. No NFL team has ever really done it better. The idea was to minimize situational substitution packages for the defense. Get plays called and run before opponents could get their defensive rotations in. Manning didn't do it obsessively but with nuance, picking and choosing the most opportune, logical times and catching opposing defensive coordinators off guard in the process. Hell, you can even take this concept back to Dan Fouts. The concept has been around since Don Coryell (when opposing defensive minds invented the original "nickel" defense as a counter measure to his high-powered offense and situational defensive substitutions began in earnest). Kelley didn't invent the strategy. What made Kelley unique was that he used it all of the time when the standard was for it to be used situationally. Kelley used it even when it didn't always make sense (to his critics). Kelley calculated that there was always more advantage for dictating defensive substitutions than there was for winning time of possession.

The biggest issue is clock management and self-discipline/situational awareness. You can "hurry" yourself into a quick "3 and outs" and put your weary defense right back onto the field without a proper breather (A similar clock management issue to the "run n shoot" offense that allowed for the biggest playoff comeback in NFL history; Bills verse Oilers). When your offense only consumes a minute of play clock for all three downs and then punts the ball away, you are giving the opponent extra possessions as well as conceding time of possession. Of course, you look brilliant with the strategy if your offense is humming, but then again, so does every "humming" offense. Chip Kelly has learned from all of this. He makes his latest iteration work because he started emphasizing a strong ground game which consumes more time and gains more clock control. Of course, the play calls will still be ultimately influenced by the type of opposing defensive package that is currently "trapped" on the field, unable to be substituted out. The whole idea behind gaining such an advantage in the first place.

The other big issue is good communication with the quarterback. The QB really has to be on the ball to receive the plays and get them relayed to the team on time. For that reason, I really wouldn't attempt the style without a veteran quarterback with plenty of autonomy to make his own calls and adjustments. It is an extremely difficult strategy to implement if every play is called from the sideline. It is why Kelley once used those cartoonish placards that assistants were holding up along the sidelines (University of Oregon). An attempt to make the play call communication more dependable and efficient.

In the end, you absolutely need an end game component where you can run your four-minute offense, maintain the lead by running the ball and keep the opposing offense off of the field. That was the big issue with Kelley's rapid-fire offense. With a lead, he kept punting the ball back to the other team without using up much clock. Keeping opponents in the game. When you condition your team to rapid fire plays, the transition to killing clock in the end game is harder to do. Regardless, Kelley has since evolved his style to compensate.

I actually think that Chip Kelley would be an effective offensive coordinator. I would be pleased with his addition.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
I'd be intrigued. If Chip Kelly had the chance to just focus on offensive coordinator vs. all the responsibilities that come with being a HC, it'd be interesting to see what he puts out there.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
This would kind of go against what JS said about offensive coordinators being poached with a defensive hc and the QB suffering from it, no? Unless Kelly is the HC and DQ will be the DC...?

I'm ultimately not sure how I'd feel about it. DQ got humiliated in the playoff game and I'm not sure I can take much more humiliating one-and-done playoff appearances.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Every NFL offensive coach has an up-tempo scheme in his back pocket. Some teams use it situationally. Some hardly ever. Kelley used it all of the time. The Colts once mastered it because Peyton Manning had the authority to call plays on the field and adjust on the fly. No NFL team has ever really done it better. The idea was to minimize situational substitution packages for the defense. Get plays called and run before opponents could get their defensive rotations in. Manning didn't do it obsessively but with nuance, picking and choosing the most opportune, logical times and catching opposing defensive coordinators off guard in the process. Hell, you can even take this concept back to Dan Fouts. The concept has been around since Don Coryell. Kelley didn't invent the strategy. What made Kelley unique was that he used it all of the time when the standard was to use it situationally. Kelley used it even when it didn't always make sense (to his critics). Kelley calculated that there was always more advantage for dictating defensive substitutions than there was for winning time of possession.

The biggest issue is clock management and self-discipline/situational awareness. You can "hurry" yourself into a quick "3 and outs" and put your weary defense right back onto the field without a proper breather (A similar clock management issue to the "run n shoot" offense that allowed for the biggest playoff comeback in NFL history; Bills verse Oilers). When your offense only consumes a minute of play clock for all three downs and then punts the ball away, you are giving the opponent extra possessions as well as conceding time of possession. Of course, you look brilliant with the strategy if your offense is humming, but then again, so does every "humming" offense. Chip Kelly has learned from all of this. He makes his latest iteration work because he started emphasizing a strong ground game which consumes more time and gains more clock control. Of course, the play calls will still be ultimately influenced by the type of opposing defensive package that is currently "trapped" on the field, unable to be substituted out. The whole idea behind gaining such an advantage in the first place.

The other big issue is good communication with the quarterback. The QB really has to be on the ball to receive the plays and get them relayed to the team on time. For that reason, I really wouldn't attempt the style without a veteran quarterback with plenty of autonomy to make his own calls and adjustments. It is an extremely difficult strategy to implement if every play is called from the sideline. It is why Kelley once used those cartoonish placards that assistants were holding up along the sidelines (University of Oregon). An attempt to make the play call communication more dependable and efficient.

In the end, you absolutely need an end game component where you can run your four-minute offense, maintain the lead by running the ball and keep the opposing offense off of the field. That was the big issue with Kelley's rapid-fire offense. With a lead, he kept punting the ball back to the other team without using up much clock. Keeping opponents in the game. When you condition your team to rapid fire plays, the transition to killing clock in the end game is harder to do. Regardless, Kelley has since evolved his style to compensate.

I actually think that Chip Kelley would be an effective offensive coordinator. I would be pleased with his addition.
I disagree with your conclusion, as I'd prefer we avoid Kelly like road kill, but that was a well articulated post.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
In my opinion, this would be a bad move for JS. I just don't see this happening.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
well one thing is for sure if Chip was the offensive coordinator we get more Bobo!